Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Simon Chapman .............. The utimate hypocrite

Simon Chapman .............. The utimate hypocrite

Tweeted by Chappy today ......................

Simon Chapman‏@SimonChapman655m
    Odious, offensive, ignorant comparisons with asbestos, tobacco, thalidomide made by anti #windfarm nutjobs

https://twitter.com/SimonChapman6

For this article .....................

Why new technology often attracts bad science.

Why do we regularly see this blindingly disproportionate comparison between demonstrably disastrous public health epidemics, and demonstrably harmless technologies?

Invoking technological dread cuts to our core like nothing else, and this has had an enormous impact on the deployment of renewable energy. The efficacy of this tactic isnít proportional to the strength of the evidence underlying those claims, and as such, itís unsurprising that groups spreading health fears consider a lack of evidence no hindrance to the spread of misinformation, even when health authorities directly contradict their claims.

Why new technology often attracts bad science | Yes 2 Renewables

Just substitute 'ecigs' for 'windfarms' and you'll see the point.

3 ďWhy do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brotherís eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ĎLet me take the speck out of your eye,í when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brotherís eye.

While I'm on Chappy ........ he still refuses to see that his pet project of plain packs is just not working.

He has managed to make the Australian Government look ridiculous.

Incidentally, Chapman throws up an enormous straw man by arguing that it is those of us opposed to the policy who are demanding a huge decrease in kids taking up the habit as proof of its effectiveness. Nothing could be further from the truth. We are very well aware that it will have no impact whatsoever, thereby being - for once - in total agreement with the geriatric vandal.

In fact, the only people invoking dramatic reductions in youth smoking due to bland packs with hideous images are the massed ranks of frenzied and highly-paid tobacco control execs.

Getting The Excuses In Early | **** Puddlecote

AVF Regular
    oh dear oh dear. a steady decrease in the number of smokers by half of 1% per year regardless of plain packaging? sure sounds like a winner to me. where do I sign up *rolling my eyes at the lunacy*
    spud likes this.

Actually Old Dog I was in favor of plain packaging.

Smoking really is a horrible addiction and the tobacco lobby are just plain evil IMHO. The less people who take up smoking the better, as far as I'm concerned. So I'm in favor of BOTH plain packaging AND e-cigarettes.
    spud likes this.

Super Moderator
    You know what did work for me? Seeing RPA and an older seemingly fit gentleman develop lung cancer. Luckily it had not spread and was able to have chemo and the tumour along with the lung removed.

They really should just ban cigarettes. How in this day and age the sale of tobacco is legal with all the associated known health risks as opposed to something harmless such as marijuana being outlawed is mind-boggling. All that would happen is you have a bunch of people grumpy for a few weeks ... if you cannot readily access the product, I would suggest it would be less of an issue once you have quit. Probably a very low level view on things, but makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by tally-ho View Post
    Actually Old Dog I was in favor of plain packaging.

Smoking really is a horrible addiction and the tobacco lobby are just plain evil IMHO. The less people who take up smoking the better, as far as I'm concerned. So I'm in favor of BOTH plain packaging AND e-cigarettes.
    Simon Clark, who is the director of the smokers' group Forest, said: "Everyone, including teenagers, knows there are health risks associated with smoking".

"Increasing the size of the warnings, or putting them on the front of the pack, will make no difference.

"If you want to smoke you will smoke, regardless of the size or position of the warning.

"If governments want to reduce youth smoking rates they should crack down on shopkeepers who sell cigarettes to children and tackle illicit trade.

"They could also ban proxy purchasing and make it illegal to buy cigarettes if you are under 18."

BBC News - Graphic images 'don't deter young smokers'

It's now illegal to have a gold paper ring around your $50 Cohiba or Montecristo ........ it's all leading to total prohibition.
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    maybe not. chappy openly admits the research about the health effects of vaping is still incomplete. but he mostly agrees with us that it's probably better for us than smoking.
    his objections to it, at least in conversation with me, were purely behavioral. normalising the image of smoking, and dual use.

and he's right. there is dual use, and we want people to not see anything wrong with us vaping. but our point of view is that dual use isn't bad, and the image of smoking is bad because the act of smoking if harmful. if something is less harmful it should be seen as not being as bad.

AVF Regular
    I've thought for a long time that the legal age for smoking should increase each year. people who already smoke could keep getting their fix and would eventually die off, and no new people could legally take it up. within 50 or 60 years there would be no more smoking.
    tally-ho likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    Simon Clark, who is the director of the smokers' group Forest, said: "Everyone, including teenagers, knows there are health risks associated with smoking".

"Increasing the size of the warnings, or putting them on the front of the pack, will make no difference.

"If you want to smoke you will smoke, regardless of the size or position of the warning.

"If governments want to reduce youth smoking rates they should crack down on shopkeepers who sell cigarettes to children and tackle illicit trade.

"They could also ban proxy purchasing and make it illegal to buy cigarettes if you are under 18."

BBC News - Graphic images 'don't deter young smokers'

It's now illegal to have a gold paper ring around your $50 Cohiba or Montecristo ........ it's all leading to total prohibition.
    Having gone through the teenage years with my own daughter, I can tell them exactly why plain packaging and big warnings don't work to stop teenagers smoking. Most teenagers do not relate to the warnings because they think they are invincible, and they've never seen anything as graphic as the pictures before, so the pictures are meaningless to them. Teenagers will be more likely to try smoking the more adults tell them its bad, anyone who has ever had to bring up a teenager knows this very well, its called teenage rebellion. Why would a teenager listen to you as a parent, teacher or even worse, a politician, at an age when they "know" that you are stupid beyond belief, and they "know" better. According to my own daughter, I had no idea how hard it was for her being a teenager, because apparently it was all soooooo different when I was young.

My daughter did try smoking, I told her that I would rather she didn't smoke, but if she wanted to, and could afford it, she would have to follow the same rules of the house that I lived by. That is, no smoking inside at all, no smoking around people who didn't smoke, no smoking in my car, no bumming cigs or stealing cigs, (I smoked rollies and they were what povo's smoked so not cool at all), and respecting the right of her friends and their parents to set the same rules. It didn't seem like such a cool thing to do after this list of restrictions, and she gave up. If I had told her outright that she was forbidden to smoke, apart from being hypocritical on my part, it would have given her the perfect reason to keep smoking, spite!
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by juddyau View Post
    They really should just ban cigarettes.
    something harmless such as marijuana.
    Probably a very low level view on things, but makes sense!
    I used to try and convince my parents that marijuana was harmless.
    Try telling that to the parents who's children are suffering from Hydro grown Marijuana induced pshycosis and scitsophrenia, not to mention the fact that all drugs are gateway drugs even Codine, adictive personality is all you need and today so many kids have those.
    tally-ho likes this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast