Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Nicotine is not a drug

Nicotine is not a drug

An interesting read ................

Why Nicotine is Not a Drug

So we can see that cravings are not related to falling nicotine levels, or else air travel would drive all smokers to distraction and none of them could sit through a movie.

Now, there are only two types of drug: medicinal drugs and recreational drugs. Tobacco was supposed to be medicinal originally, but now we know it’s not, and so tobacco is not prescribed for any medical condition anywhere in the world, not ever. Nor do tobacco companies claim that it has any beneficial or medicinal effects. If it did, and that could be proven scientifically, you could bet your life they would use that in their marketing. The fact that tobacco contains nicotine does not make it any more beneficial to health: tobacco is not a medicinal product, in fact the modern medical consensus is that tobacco is bad for you, and smokers are routinely advised by medical personnel to stop smoking it.

We all found out that tobacco has no recreational use the first time we ever tried it, and the fact that a smoker can lean on his car smoking tobacco, keys in hand, chatting to an officer of the law, then freely get in and drive away legally proves that no-one is suggesting that he or she is getting high on that. In fact throughout the entire history of tobacco consumption in Europe over the last 400 years, no-one has ever suggested that it is a form of recreational drug use. When you see office workers standing around outside the office building on a smoking break, they’re not “getting high”, are they? Everybody knows that. When they go back in, no-one says: “Forget asking George to do anything complicated for the next half hour, he’s just been smoking tobacco!” Smokers would be unemployable if tobacco got you stoned or wired, and they certainly wouldn’t be entrusted with heavy goods vehicles, coaches or buses.

No medicinal use, no recreational use.

Truth Will Out » Nicotine is not a drug

If it's not a drug it's just a poison then...
    fifthflo likes this.

Interesting take but the main hook of the article is flawed I think ("nicotine is not a drug") - because the author feels it's not medicinal and not recreational, as if that's a test of what a drug is.
    I guess it depends on what the definition of recreational drug is. Recreational does not mean you have to get "high" or be rendered incapacitated to any degree by it. Yet there is certainly a buzz from nicotine, at least on the first go for the day... and one definition of a recreational drug is "A drug used nonmedically for personal enjoyment."

Further, whether you accept the recreational part or not, the proposal that since it isn't medicinal or recreational it is therefore not a drug is ruled out by the usual definition of a drug:
    "A substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body"

Nicotine certainly has a physiological effect.

It is a drug.

I agree spurius, I think he overplays the idea that nicotine is not a drug. He is on stronger ground arguing that nicotine is not nearly as addictive as the medical and pharmaceutical industries would want you to believe. Like most smokers I have no difficulty not smoking (or vaping now) in planes or trains or theaters or work or anywhere else smoking is not allowed. The ease in which one can turn off the cravings in situations where one is not allowed to smoke belies the story of addictiveness.

I suspect he is trying to sell the idea of hypnotherapy as an alternative to NRT. Everyone is always trying to sell you something!!

the usual definition of a drug:

"A substance that has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body"

Nicotine certainly has a physiological effect.

It is a drug.
    Then again, doesn't food have a 'physiological effect'?
    Old Dog, spurius and spud like this.

Nicotine patches are now used to help with the symptoms of dementia. So yeah, it can be medicinal.
    bugzme, fifthflo, spurius and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pgscott View Post
    I suspect he is trying to sell the idea of hypnotherapy as an alternative to NRT. Everyone is always trying to sell you something!!
    I think you're right, but whatever nicotine is ........... I need it !
    pgscott and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    drugs or not ... both nicotine and caffeine ... if i can't get them, you don't really wanna be anywhere near me ... lol

I'm with you Kay. Without caffine and nicotine I struggle to function. Every school report I ever had led with "Tally-Ho should concentrate more" or "Tally-ho should daydream less" etc. I started drinking coffee when I started high school and I took up cigarettes at Uni and both were probably an unconscious response to having to concentrate more. Without that constant drip supply of mild stimulants I'm just off in my own little world.
    fifthflo, JenJ, KamaKaZzie and 2 others like this.

Retired Account
    I think it's likely we'll see the day when nicotine is used to treat kids with ADHD too.
    "Think of the children with ADHD" may very well mean giving them nicotine!
    Old Dog, tally-ho, JenJ and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    I think you're right, but whatever nicotine is ........... I need it !
    I don't know that I could say I "need" it, but I can definitely say that I LIKE it! What I don't like is the moral or emotional nonsense assigned by some people to those of us that enjoy one substance or another, if its not harming them, its none of their business.
    Old Dog, tally-ho, JenJ and 2 others like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast