For those who are to be interviewed by Media, please read these two posts ;

More Emphasis on Who 'we' are

Please Nominate Your AVF State Media Representatives

Thanks.
    Old Dog and spud like this.

Be wery wery careful .................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiEUDzIrEQE

AVF Regular
    This is going to end very very badly. I'm not going to mention names of who is putting themselves forward and why they're incompetent all ill say is its all very well to type out an excellent review on vaping, being in front of a camera and interviewed is a whole different ball game. Especially on commercial tv. Prime time. There's a massive difference between sbs and the project.

Stocking up now.
    Caffeind likes this.

I'm not targeting or trying to offend anyone here with what I'm about to briefly say, but......
    As someone that is new to vapeing I think we all need to just STFU, wind our necks in and remain as stealth as possible.
    If anyone here thinks that appearing on TV, forming committees and the like will make things any easier for us vapers
    in the fight against the Government, tobacco companies and most powerful of all, big Pharma.(Remember the billions they have at stake?????)
    Then sorry to be the one to tell you that you are a delusional power tripper that will cause grief for us all.
    Just my 2c
    Rant over
    Greg, Stomp, fifthflo and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    I don't think staying quiet is going to do much now, considering the vaping industry has already gotten big enough financially speaking to catch the attention of multiple tobacco companies, pharmaceutical companies, and governments.

Regulations and restrictions are already being drafted and voted on overseas. Australia will follow. The only influence we have in policy making as citizens is with our votes. We need to kick up a LOUD stink, loud enough to let the politicians know that if they want to ban vaping, then they're going to lose votes over it. The louder we are, the more votes they think they'll lose, the more chance we have of not becoming criminals under new legislation. Votes (and the potential to lose them) are the only thing politicians care about other than money - and we can't fight with money.

We also need to get as much of the non-vaping general public on our side as we can - that's why we need to let them know we exist, we're real people, these devices have saved our lives and have the potential to save the lives of millions.

Personally, I think to get the public onside we need to aim for the emotional angle with a MUCH smaller helping of scientific data during media encounters. That's generally how public opinion is swayed - not through who has the most accurate scientific studies. People are not going to care enough about this issue to raise any stink in our favor unless we can make them relate to it. Concentrate on how these devices can help the smokers they care about stop smoking - bashing big T/P/G and ranting about profit motives is just going to cause the public to disengage (and paints us as 'crazy junkie scum' just wanting to keep their drugs legal).

Staying quiet and docile never gave any minority group new rights, nor has it ever protected existing rights that were on the verge of being taken away.

Hmmmm, if keeping quiet won't help and speaking out won't help then you may as well keep quiet, especially if the outcome of speaking out without the right circumstances and info will possibly cause more harm and bring unwanted attention and the possibility of them cutting us of legally from importing then I'd vote zip it. The only down side to that is idiot's speaking out anyway, in that case I'd rather have someone speaking with good intentions as a minimal. ;S
    fifthflo, spud and Puffadder like this.

AVF Regular
    I really like the expression 'don't poke the bear'. Legislative intervention really isn't a real issue here at the moment to the extent it is overseas. Let that pan out first which will enable a coherent direction to take here. Getting involved in media sensationalism will only hurt. I believe the steps that the Tassie members took part in actually turned out OK from their viewpoint, but until it becomes a political ping pong ball (it will never be big enough to be a footy) no one will see any evidence for a while if it was in fact worthwhile.
    Last edited by lheamfrg; 12-09-13 at 09:06 AM.
    spud likes this.

Retired Account
    I think we need to get organised now, and we definitely need to get organised before we start doing interviews.
    There's a few of us who have formed a working group to look into the viability of an Australian association for vapers.
    All we're doing is pulling together the information we can get access to about it, so that hopefully we can choose some great representatives to be the "face of Australian vaping".
    We plan to put a report together and bring it to AVF for their consideration.
    If we want to have any voice into the future, we need to get organised, and it can't be down to one person to do that.
    If we decline to participate, they will still do their story, and we have no chance of getting a balanced story across.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post
    I think we need to get organised now, and we definitely need to get organised before we start doing interviews.
    There's a few of us who have formed a working group to look into the viability of an Australian association for vapers.
    All we're doing is pulling together the information we can get access to about it, so that hopefully we can choose some great representatives to be the "face of Australian vaping".
    We plan to put a report together and bring it to AVF for their consideration.
    If we want to have any voice into the future, we need to get organised, and it can't be down to one person to do that.
    If we decline to participate, they will still do their story, and we have no chance of getting a balanced story across.
    This is nice to see. I think the debate needs to move past should we be involved in media attention, as it's going to happen regardless of whether we want it to or not, and focus on the ways we can make it work for us as best as possible. People need to be well informed on the topic and ask the right questions before being blinded by the bright lights.

I'm sure we have a number of intelligent, articulate and well informed members that could act as representatives when the media come asking questions.
    margyb and mrsgruffy like this.

AVF Regular
    i feel like the bear has already been poked...pardon the pun/metaphor...

i think all it takes for shit to go south is for good people to do nothing.

it's why we live in a country where we are ALLOWED to do something.

'Something' needs to be logical, well thought out, and not overly scientific to alienate audiences, but evidence based enough to prove our point.

Winging it will not suffice. we'll have egg on our face. and then decisions will get made for us despite our best efforts/intentions.

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast