Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree217Likes

Thread: You're in charge.. what would you do?

Retired Account

You're in charge.. what would you do?

Let's just say, the powers that be just called you and said "hey you, we've seen what you write on that vaping forum and you make a lot of sense, so we've decided you're going to be in charge of writing the legislation around electronic nicotine delivery systems. What would you propose?

If it was me, I'd make ready to vape eliquids available in equivalent to tobacconist stand alone bricks and mortar shops, and I'd require anyone who wanted to mix their own liquids to sit a test before giving them a licence to be permitted to buy liquid nicotine up to a strength of 100mg/mL. The test would be around the mathematics you need to know and how to run your own titration tests to determine nicotine strength in any liquid you make and safe handling practices (Sort of similar to the RSA/RSG test)

I'd make it mandatory to have truth in labelling. Whatever you put in your flavouring has to be documented in order of proportion.

I'd make all nicotine strictly available to people over 18 only.

I'd make it legal to grow small amounts of tobacco for the manufacture of nicotine liquid for personal use.

No need to criticise other people's ideas.. this is just to get an idea of where people would like to see us heading to in terms of regulation, availability, etc.

AVF Regular
    Availablity of nicotine, illegal for minors, some sort of standards (health, safety, etc) on vendors mixing and selling juice. If we could run down the chemist\whatever and grab nic I think the need\desire for 100mg would be far less, so maybe 50mg available to general public. That would probably remove some of the concerns you have with the license to mix suggestion, (I'm guessing).

I don't think we should be allowing\encouraging growing tobacco and manufacturing our own nicotine. While I'm sure there are people who could do it well, and some on here I suspect, it seems like it could have a lot of negative potential.

Premix in corner stores.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post
    Let's just say, the powers that be just called you and said "hey you, we've seen what you write on that vaping forum and you make a lot of sense, so we've decided you're going to be in charge of writing the legislation around electronic nicotine delivery systems. What would you propose?

If it was me, I'd make ready to vape eliquids available in equivalent to tobacconist stand alone bricks and mortar shops, and I'd require anyone who wanted to mix their own liquids to sit a test before giving them a licence to be permitted to buy liquid nicotine up to a strength of 100mg/mL. The test would be around the mathematics you need to know and how to run your own titration tests to determine nicotine strength in any liquid you make and safe handling practices (Sort of similar to the RSA/RSG test)

I'd make it mandatory to have truth in labelling. Whatever you put in your flavouring has to be documented in order of proportion.

I'd make all nicotine strictly available to people over 18 only.

I'd make it legal to grow small amounts of tobacco for the manufacture of nicotine liquid for personal use.

No need to criticise other people's ideas.. this is just to get an idea of where people would like to see us heading to in terms of regulation, availability, etc.
    Great Post MrsGruffy.

Mine would be similar to yours with a few adjustments:

Nicotine selling licences will be mandatory to sell nicotine, but these are not medical sales licences.

Premixed e-liquids up to 24mg/mL would be available online and from Tobacconists, Coles, Woolworths and services stations.

All bottles must come with a mandatory quality approved child proof capping.

All bottles must also be wrapped in that hard plastic that Ukult Bottles are wrapped in. Nice and tight.

All bottles would have madatory warning label on them.

All ejuice ingredients must be documented and registered. <-- this will be most controversial though. Needs a whole thread for discussion. It relates to the Medical versus General Sales regulation.

Sold only to persons over 18.

Nicotine liquids over 100mg/mL are strictly banned from being sold.

Those wishing to buy nicotine liquids with concentrations 25mg/mL-100mg/mL don't need to sit a test, but they do need to sign a document saying that they understand the dangers of handling such liquids. If they hurt themselves or other people through accident, reckless, or neglectful behavior, they themselves will be legally responsible for it. An life time once only fee of $50 should take care of the legal paper work per person, and make people stop and think if mixing their own liquids is actually what they want to do, now that all aussie vendors sell their elquids with nicotine. You get Consumer licence for these nicotine concentrations.

You can only purchase a maximum of 50 grams of nicotine per year - That's 500mL of 100mg/mL, or 1L of 50mg/mL. If you still want to stockpile, import the rest. Otherwise just buy your 500mL a year locally, and you'd be fine. If there's an accident and you lost your 500mL, and want to buy a new bottle, you need to report what happened. If you spilt it, did you clean it up. If you lost it, you need to make sure you bloody well find it. A 500mL bottle of 100mg/mL nicotine is dangerous not to know where it is. This is why a $50 annual fee should be included. It deters those who aren't serious about using this stuff.

No non-internet advertisements of fanciful flavourings. If you're going to advertise on radio, TV or any other medium outside of your own webpage, you can only advertise the devices and Bland Spice-flavouring such as Tobacco and Black Tea etc flavouring. This isn't a restriction on flavourings, just their advertisement.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 13-09-13 at 04:25 PM. Reason: high nicotine consumer licence changed to a once only fee. Making it an annual fee is silly.

Disposable e-cigs/cigars available wherever cigarettes are sold.

Pre-mixed fluids available at tobacconists and vape shops.

Unflavored nicotine fluid available at chemists up to 36mg in strength (over that you'll need to pass a test).

Child proof and tamper proof bottles for all fluids

Some form of childproof button for all batteries.

Must be over 18 to purchase nicotine and batteries.

Safe bag for charging to come with all starter kits.

Most of the other stuff I can think of other people have already covered.
    GirlyPantz, mavinry4 and mrsgruffy like this.

Super Moderator
    I'd love to be able to rock up to a shop and not have to wait all the time. I'm not really interested in mixing my own shit.

I would like internet sales to remain unrestricted because for vapers that live in remote locations, where there aren't any tobacconists or vape shops, restrictions such as only being able to buy from a bricks and mortar building would see them put at a severe disadvantage, more so than they already have to deal with, including high postage costs.

Hazchem rules should apply to nicotine liquid sold to those that want to mix their own flavours, including age restricted sales. Monitoring of all nicotine sales, (as with other hazardous chemicals), should also apply, as well as storage and packaging rules. (child proof caps, warning labels, and appropriate information for dealing with accidental exposure).

Pre-mixed juice, and pre-filled cartridges, along with all basic hardware, should be available everywhere cigarettes are currently available now, this is the only way that e-cigs will be able to compete with tobacco cigs. Again, with appropriate age restrictions applied.

Labeling laws that currently apply to food additives should also apply to flavoured nic juices, we as consumers have a right to know what we are buying and consuming.

All imported juices and hardware should conform to Australian standards.

In reality, there is already more than enough legislation to cover all aspects of e-cigs and e juice. They are a recreational consumer product, like alcohol, and do not need a whole lot of new laws to govern their sale and use. There aren't a whole lot of new laws governing de-caf coffee or tea products, or light beers and low alcohol drinks, so there shouldn't new laws to govern e-cigs as a harm reduction product.
    GirlyPantz, mavinry4 and mrsgruffy like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    I would make them completely illegal than clean up on the black market
    GirlyPantz, mrsgruffy and tally-ho like this.

Loving all the suggestions. Mine would be to ban the sale of cigalikes, and enforce a name change to vaporisers or something similar.

We should rename this thread "Lets write the Australian E-cigarette and Nicotine Liquids Act". This should be the most bumped up, and most viewed thread on AVF.

We''l call ourselves the Australian E-cigarette and Nicotine Liquid Act Comittee. The AENL committee. We'll be consumer advocates, and we'll be not very much liked by some vendors because we're very AENL about regulating the safety of the products we consume.

Who's in?

MrsGruffy(?)
    Mavinry4

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeind View Post
    Loving all the suggestions. Mine would be to ban the sale of cigalikes, and enforce a name change to vaporisers or something similar.

I'd prefer a ban (or more accurately, an incentive not to sell) white cigalikes with red LED tips. Cigalikes might actually turn out to be great products for helping people come off tobacco smoke, they just need a few significant functional adjustments that make them more reliable, as well as superficial changes in their appearance to break the association with tobacco smoking.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast