Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By lozza 82
  • 2 Post By marty
  • 2 Post By purplgirl
  • 2 Post By mrsgruffy

Thread: E-cigarettes: Healthy tool or gateway device?

E-cigarettes: Healthy tool or gateway device?

E-cigarettes: Healthy tool or gateway device? - CNN.com

a well written article and 1 of the highlights below:

Essentially the person using these inhales a kind of vapor that looks like fog from a fog machine. A recent review of all the scientific research done on e-cigarettes by Drexel University professor Igor Burstyn concludes "current data do not indicate that exposures to vapors from contaminants in electronic cigarettes warrant a concern."

In plain language, Burstyn concludes: "It's about as harmless as you can get."

"I wouldn't worry at all if someone was smoking one of these by my kids," Burstyn said. "From a pure health perspective, these are not as bad as a cigarette."

enjoy the read
    purplgirl and Terradan like this.
    Cigarette Addiction: 12 years Quit Smoking: 22.11.2011 Started Vaping: 22.11.2011
    ProVari V2, SmokTech 1.5 ohm dc carto, OCD Tank at 4.3 volts
    Vaping and Loving it

But as far as risky behavior goes, it's still a tiny fraction of students. The survey showed about 3% of these kids said they had used one in the last 30 days. By contrast, 39% of students said they drank some amount of alcohol in the past 30 days, 22% binge drank and 24% rode with a driver who had been drinking.
    Why wasn't this reported the other week in the media when they were hyping about a "double in ecig uptake by school kids"?

And of that 3%, how many took only a single puff? It's quite obvious kids aren't using these things, despite the sub-culture that exists.
    lozza 82 and spud like this.

Finally a positive article, lol, I think we will see more now they are becoming more widely talked about. of course there will still be negative ones, but who would honestly say smoking is safer in all honesty!

Yeah especially if they were given cigalites or whatever their called, most people I know that tried them only use them in places they can't smoke, they just don't cut it for getting off the stinkies.

Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    And of that 3%, how many took only a single puff?

Retired Account
    To some extent, I think cigalikes are given a bad wrap. They got MrGruffy and I off the ciggies.
    Granted, they were overpriced and underwhelming, but they were still enough to help us stop smoking, and keep us stopped for 2 or 3 weeks before we moved on to better batteries, better liquids, better liquid delivery systems. To be honest, we didn't know about mods when we first tried those cigalikes, and we were very impressed. I think it's just in our nature to go looking for bigger and better things once we find something we like. It wasn't until we realised the relatively cheaper cost of gruntier things to vape with that we realised that the $160 we spent was a bit extortionate. Begrudgingly though, I have to say they totally did the job, and I would have paid 10 times that much to stop smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by purplgirl View Post
    Yeah especially if they were given cigalites or whatever their called, most people I know that tried them only use them in places they can't smoke, they just don't cut it for getting off the stinkies.