Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Nicotine: Can it save your brain?

Retired Account

Nicotine: Can it save your brain?

Just stumbled across this. An oldie but a goodie, in my opinion.
    There's a link on that page which takes you to an article which explains why a brain injury might help you quit smoking too. Not sure I would want to go that far though!!

Nicotine: can it save your brain? | COSMOS magazine

AVF Regular
    Really interesting. I have a neurone disease and nicotine really helps my symptoms. My doctor even acknowledges it. That's why I do not want to quit nicotine, but have found the best possible delivery system. VAPE ON.
    GirlyPantz, margyb, Stomp and 3 others like this.

Retired Account
    I have a very close friend who's mother (in her 80s) was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago, and is now in nursing home care. She was an 'on again, off again' smoker her whole life, but since she's got ill and the symptoms have intensified, she asks for cigarettes more and more frequently. It really makes me wonder. I know if I'm writing or trying to absorb information, I find it much easier to stay focussed while I'm vaping. In fact, it's the one time I really give the PV a really good work out. I thought it was the mild stimulant property of nicotine, but perhaps there's more to it than just that? I hope that nicotine loses it's bad reputation if there is any chance that it can help people with neurological conditions. I'd rather have a child using nicotine patches than dexamphetamine for ADHD.
    GirlyPantz, suspect and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    I have a child with something similar to adhd, currently we use krill oil instead of Ritalin, which we've found to be far more effective without any of the side effects. I really don't know what to think about that article though. Fortunately my brain is long past saving, it left in disgust years ago.
    GirlyPantz, margyb, Stomp and 4 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post
    I have a very close friend who's mother (in her 80s) was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago, and is now in nursing home care. She was an 'on again, off again' smoker her whole life, but since she's got ill and the symptoms have intensified, she asks for cigarettes more and more frequently. It really makes me wonder. I know if I'm writing or trying to absorb information, I find it much easier to stay focussed while I'm vaping. In fact, it's the one time I really give the PV a really good work out. I thought it was the mild stimulant property of nicotine, but perhaps there's more to it than just that? I hope that nicotine loses it's bad reputation if there is any chance that it can help people with neurological conditions. I'd rather have a child using nicotine patches than dexamphetamine for ADHD.
    My mother is unfortunately in a dementia home, also in her 80's. She never smoked, and now that I come to think of it, absolutely non of the residents smoked except for one man. I guess that statistically smoking would have killed them if they had smoked, so doesn't prove a thing.

I think where dementia is concerned, nicotine is more of a preventative rather than a cure. Makes me think that maybe nicotine could be a good thing however - I'm sure we'll all be watching the developments. I know one thing for sure though - I can't use as much nicotine as I did when I started vaping.
    GirlyPantz, Samtron and spud like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    bbc pleasure tobacco - YouTube

this documentary is awesome. i watched one of them...not sure which, sorry....but it was very easy to watch,seeing the rich convoluted history it has had...

there has been evidence that nicotine acts as an anti-depressant, relieves/delays alzheimers/dementia symptoms, can increase blood pressure (not always a good thing, not always bad either) etc.

i'd ask you all to have a watch cos i found it interesting.

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1197.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 4ml/per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Samtron View Post
    bbc pleasure tobacco - YouTube

this documentary is awesome. i watched one of them...not sure which, sorry....but it was very easy to watch,seeing the rich convoluted history it has had...

there has been evidence that nicotine acts as an anti-depressant, relieves/delays alzheimers/dementia symptoms, can increase blood pressure (not always a good thing, not always bad either) etc.

i'd ask you all to have a watch cos i found it interesting.
    Excellent ! Thanks for posting, Samtron.

Retired Account
    I think the nicotine helps with focus. Schizophrenics almost all smoke. On occasion, the nicotine seems to temporarily restore lucidity in the midst of a psychotic episode. Why Do Schizophrenics Smoke Cigarettes? | Brain Blogger

A more academic article:
    http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordj...2/247.full.pdf
    Last edited by mrsgruffy; 16-09-13 at 02:23 PM.
    margyb, Rynxa and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post
    I think the nicotine helps with focus. Schizophrenics almost all smoke. On occasion, the nicotine seems to temporarily restore lucidity in the midst of a psychotic episode. Why Do Schizophrenics Smoke Cigarettes? | Brain Blogger

A more academic article:
    http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordj...2/247.full.pdf
    I am fairly open about my mental health issues, I have suffered from major depressive disorder and severe anxiety, which has unfortunately turned into agoraphobia (house bound for almost 3 years).
    I have smoked since I was 16, in the middle of an attack chain smoking would tether me and calm me down into a more manageable state. I never wanted to quit smoking because I knew what nicotine did for me.
    Vaping does this for me now, it's why I don't think I can lower my nic levels any more than the 15-18mg I vape currently.

I know it's anecdotal, but nicotine genuinely helps me manage my mental health.
    margyb, essiemessy and fabricator4 like this.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
    I have a child with something similar to adhd, currently we use krill oil instead of Ritalin, which we've found to be far more effective without any of the side effects. I really don't know what to think about that article though. Fortunately my brain is long past saving, it left in disgust years ago.
    Thats interesting Nakor...at what sort mg dosage are you talking about with the Krill oil ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast