Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Do carrots need regulating due to their addictive potential?

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs

Do carrots need regulating due to their addictive potential?

Could carrots be used a gateway to smoking??icon7.png

A little bit of silliness I know, but we have all seen the arguments

The third case described in the study concerned a 40-year-old man who sought help to give up tobacco. 'His wife had advised him that it was necessary to replace cigarettes with something else and recommended . . . crunching some vegetables.

'He was soon eating carrots constantly, consuming up to five bunches a day, and as it was spring he put himself to considerable expense.' Unfortunately, although the man has kicked the carrot habit, he has resumed smoking.

Carrots 'as addictive as cigarette smoking' - UK - News - The Independent
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

I smoked, so it's time to come clean in the manner of the light hearted threads intention...

I love carrots. Seriously carrots are good stuff. You can't go wrong with carrots in everything.
    Stirfry- carrots
    curry - carrots
    spag bol (done properly like a ragu) - carrots
    colesaw - carrots
    chili - carrots
    mirepoix - carrots
    soffritto - carrots
    stew- carrots
    salad - grated carrots
    toasted sandwich and have no ham - carrots
    beans, potato,cabbage, spices, rice and whatever left in the house - carrots

The list goes on, carrots, with onions, garlic, dried beans is super awesome food. Optional meat, mushrooms, capsicum, chilli, spices etc (well not really, some of them are damn well needed to make it work)

For someone to figure out carrots are awesome means they are a late bloomer and a little dense IMHO.

If someone told me I could never have carrots, capsicum, onion, chilli, garlic, or stock, salt, pepper or any spice for that matter, I would be as irate as someone telling me I could never ever have nicotine again. Seriously I would, they are all just as important to me. Looks like I'm addicted to them I guess.

Get your carrots folks, protect them and let not a neighbour covet them, as they are such a powerful ingredient in the kitchen. Guard them, protect them, and go forth and utilize them in amazing feats of frugality and tastiness.
    Last edited by coopz; 16-09-13 at 06:09 AM.
    GirlyPantz and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Every time I hear about carrot sticks being used to give up smoking, I can't help but to think of the line from 'My Name is Earl' - "We tried carrot sticks... but we couldn't get them to light" .

But really, carrot sticks being 'addictive' just goes to illustrate how important replicating the actual physical 'act' of smoking (or something similar) is in a cessation product. It's an argument for why ecigs have (or the potential to have) a much higher success rate than other forms of NRT. Dude needs to vape carrot juice - problem solved!
    GirlyPantz, Robray and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    You will notice I am sure that they are never marketed as a “Smoking cessation(?) aid to avoid the wrath of the TGA.
    GirlyPantz, jen and spud like this.

Of course not, I've never lessened my desire for carrots while smoking!
    Why can't I like both carotene, capsaicin, the stuff in beans and greens, as well as nicotine mr boss man? : (
    (edit: I'm not mocking you at all, I thought I was getting into the spirit of the thread, so say being addicted to things is overstated). But I love carrots, and maybe I'm addicted to everything : (
    Last edited by coopz; 16-09-13 at 06:23 AM.
    Robray and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Why can't I like both carotene, capsaicin, the stuff in beans and greens, as well as nicotine mr boss man? : (
    Nothing to stop you "Liking" the stuff, but just don’t get your doctor to suggest or prescribe it!!!

Sure, the FDA's belief is ancient history in terms of present-day knowledge about nutrition and disease, but it's still federal policy. And according to the FDA, the mere "prescribing" of a food as something to prevent obesity automatically transforms that food into a "drug." Under current FDA regulations, then, NYC is guilty of promoting "unapproved drugs" which are really just fruits and vegetables. But that's how FDA logic works.
    Learn more:

NYC allows doctors to prescribe fresh fruit and vegetables as treatment for obesity; FDA declares veggies 'unapproved drugs'
    GirlyPantz and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Heres another. This one has some merit as I dont like cherries. They need to be regulated for sure.

On October 17, 2005, the FDA banned information about cherries’ health benefits from appearing on websites. The FDA sent warning letters to 29 companies that market cherry products. In these letters, the FDA ordered the companies to stop publicizing scientific data about cherries. According to the FDA, when cherry companies disseminate this information, the cherries become unapproved drugs subject to seizure. The FDA warns that if those involved in cherry trafficking continue to inform consumers about these scientific studies, criminal prosecutions will ensue.
    FDA modified
    GirlyPantz, Old Dog and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    Could carrots be used a gateway to smoking??icon7.png

A little bit of silliness I know, but we have all seen the arguments

Carrots 'as addictive as cigarette smoking' - UK - News - The Independent
    Hmm this is a worry....

Since we have had unusually hot weather for this time of year I have started eating raw carrots straight from the fridge. Now in an effort to avoid depriving myself of my 1 or 2 steamed carrots with my nightly meal I thought it prudent to buy a 5kg bag of juicing carrots last shopping day. So now my carrot intake has increased from 1-2 a day to 4-5 a day at what point do I need to seek medial advice or intervention?

......Am serious about the carrots... am joking about the need for intervention lol
    Robray, mrsgruffy and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Hmm this is a worry....

For me as well. At home I have taken to eating mashed carrots and turnips instead of mashed patato, which I loved. I dont know why. It just happened one day when there were no spuds in the house. Realy good with a Mrs Mack (Organic) microwave meat pie, and a touch of Bisto gravy!!!
    GirlyPantz likes this.

saute mirepoix evry day...
    Just don't let the authorities catch you...
    GirlyPantz and Robray like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast