Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: the science. is it there yet?

AVF Regular

the science. is it there yet?

the doctors comments on the project the other day, and the rebuttal thread got me thinking. he said no research had been done. he was wrong. but there isn't much that's been properly peer reviewed and published.

so, where do you guys stand. is the science in, or is there still a ways to go?
    margyb and spud like this.

I think there is always "a ways to go", all we can do is look at the most reliable (god knows how we determine that) research or study and make our decisions based on what we know, while still questioning.

AVF Regular
    I reckon there's definitely still a way to go. there's a real shortage of unbiased, quality studies. no one knows for sure what the implications of long term vaping are. BUT there are more than enough studies that prove undeniably the dangers of smoking. i'd prefer take my chances with the small risk vaping might prove to pose, rather than keep playing with the proven, amply documented, huge risks of smoking.

Science isn't science until it's has undertaken the peer review process. There will need to be enough information for a meta analysis before any doctor will be declare it safe.

AVF Regular
    that's my thinking too. the recent NZ study is good, published in the lancet. peer reviewed.

but it's just one study.
    Pueronline likes this.

Super Moderator
    There's not much to question.

PG is used in asthma inhalers... people use them for 30+ years and never have had an issue with any lung problems. (PS i'm an asthma sufferer btw! )

VG is also used in alot of other medical products due to it being fairly safe to use in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by from wikipedia
    Glycerol is used in medical and pharmaceutical and personal care preparations, mainly as a means of improving smoothness, providing lubrication and as a humectant. It is found in allergen immunotherapies, cough syrups, elixirs and expectorants,toothpaste, mouthwashes, skin care products, shaving cream, hair care products, soaps and water-based personal lubricants. In solid dosage forms like tablets, glycerol is used as a tablet holding agent. For human consumption, glycerol is classified by the U.S. FDA among the sugar alcohols as a caloric macronutrient.
    NIC well.. there's only one major study we have found that gives us a pretty definitive OK FOR USE in long term.

Long-term effects of inhaled nicotine. [Life Sci. 1996] - PubMed - NCBI

Quote Originally Posted by from above website
    For the first time we report the effect on the rat of long-term (two years) inhalation of nicotine. The rats breathed in a chamber with nicotine at a concentration giving twice the plasma concentration found in heavy smokers. Nicotine was given for 20 h a day, five days a week during a two-year period. We could not find any increase in mortality, in atherosclerosis or frequency of tumors in these rats compared with controls. Particularly, there was no microscopic or macroscopic lung tumors nor any increase in pulmonary neuroendocrine cells. Throughout the study, however, the body weight of the nicotine exposed rats was reduced as compared with controls. In conclusion, our study does not indicate any harmful effect of nicotine when given in its pure form by inhalation.
    Rats being subjected to doses twice as much as a heavy smoker (btw... rat being 0.5kg-1kg approx, and a human being like 80kg on average), this is a HUGE amount of nic being tested on the rat. Followed by it being in said nic doses, for 20 hours a day, 5 days a week, for 2 years... and finding NO health defect apart from being SLIGHTLY less weight than a control rat... (btw this was in an aerosol form).

I'm pretty sure nic physically is not harming us.

Mentally though, i'd say it's no different to caffeine...

The only harmful part of e-cigs that i can tell... is A) the flavourings, and B) materials the atomizers are made of.

Neither are particularly harmful to us either tbh... as the flavourings in e-juice are percentages of the juice, and tbh, atty materials generally are fairly safe (silica is fairly safe to inhale in the quantities used in our wicks... hell go to a beach and you probably inhale more silica crystals, and gennies, with that chromium poisoning thing... meh the msds puts it fairly low to affects on humans).

BUT this is just research, i'm no scientist/doctor.... this is just my own interpretations of the results... i don't speak absolute truth just my interpretations of the results.

AVF Regular
    I personally won't feel comfortable declaring it totally safe until people have been doing it for 15+ years. Vaping requires using products in a way that isn't their intended use (yes people inhale PG and VG in other ways, but nowhere near 3 mls a day every day). Add in flavourings, colourings, then combining this with all the products and components we are using and inhaling (and could potentially cause further chemical reactions as we have heated steel/silica/cotton/ceramics/other metals on flavourings, colourings etc.)

I know a lot of this stuff has been tested and been shown to be safe, but it's not every type of set-up and liquid being tested.

I personally think that in 15-30 years time it will be given the tick of approval as safe in the same way lots of stuff is (i.e. not 100% safe but not really going to affect you too badly like caffeine, sugar etc). I'm just not sure that every liquid, atomiser etc will all be safe.

AVF Regular
    There is a anti-nicotine study getting around, but it seems to be the only one I've seen. I will/do keep an open mind with this and I wonder how this fits in with naturally occurring nicotine that we consume every day in foods.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    the doctors comments on the project the other day, and the rebuttal thread got me thinking. he said no research had been done. he was wrong. but there isn't much that's been properly peer reviewed and published.

so, where do you guys stand. is the science in, or is there still a ways to go?
    Lots of research is being done Smash

check out
    Research

Dr Farsalinos' e-cig research supersite and largest global survey ever

Docs for Andrew Wilkie meeting Hobart 1st August
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    oh yeah. it's being done. but done, and published are different things. with folk like the chapmans, it's only peer reviewed papers that will sway him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast