Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: What will the Upcoming FDA regulations mean for australia

What will the Upcoming FDA regulations mean for australia

With the Upcoming FDA regulations due to be anounced in the next few weeks,What do you think their anouncment will mean for the aussie vaping community,Do you think if they go full regulation and hand their industry to Big pharma/Big tobacco our goverment will follow suit,I can see the anti-smoking campainers using a decision from the FDA as amunition too lobby our govt to do the same.Would like to hear everyones thoughts on the matter especially from vendors and where they see the industry heading.

Quote Originally Posted by necro View Post
    With the Upcoming FDA regulations due to be anounced in the next few weeks,What do you think their anouncment will mean for the aussie vaping community,Do you think if they go full regulation and hand their industry to Big pharma/Big tobacco our goverment will follow suit,I can see the anti-smoking campainers using a decision from the FDA as amunition too lobby our govt to do the same.Would like to hear everyones thoughts on the matter especially from vendors and where they see the industry heading.
    This was posted on reddit the other day concerning the upcoming FDA regulations on ecigs : Regulation is coming to E-cigarettes. I'm here to answer some questions as to what that might mean for us who use them. : electronic_cigarette

And also, just to point out, this was Greg Conley's statement recently ; https://twitter.com/GregTHR/status/383732863926935552

So, if these posts are legit, it looks like nothing much is going to change in the US, and any changes wont go into effect for a few years. It looks as though nicotine liquids and snus will go under their own subsection of tobacco classification. A separate section that I believe will allow them to have a much lower taxing.

What scares me is the danger of losing online sales. I get all my nicotine from the US. If online sales of nicotine in the US are banned, I'll just have to take my business elsewhere, such as China. I don't believe that "loose juice" is going to be banned, but Big Tobacco could always try to slip something in the last minute so that they monopolize the market with their prefilled non refillable cartomizers. If they do, then us ejuice advocates need to start attacking the big tobacco companies from all angles. Prefilled non-refillable cartomizers are very vulnerable to attack from a variety of angles. I have no problem starting a negative campaign against Big tobacco's cartomizers. If big tobacco play nice, then so will we.

What bothers me is that under tobacco classification, companies and universities and other institutions can include these products in their "tobacco free" policies.

I think we aussie vapers should just lay low for a little bit, watch carefully how it plays out in both Europe and the US, and extract the best policies from those systems.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 28-09-13 at 06:36 PM.

AVF Regular
    i think australia tends to do a combination of things in line with england...the motherland...and the US...our beloved empire...

i still think **** 'em i'll do what i want. sue me if it doesn't work for ya...
    ultravape and necro like this.

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

I think we aussie vapers should just lay low for a little bit, watch carefully how it plays out in both Europe and the US, and extract the best policies from those systems.
    what makes you think thats going to do any good? you really think these things arent already under discussion and that if we 'lay low' they might forget about it? then be all hard done by if a decision is made that doesnt suit us? big T and big P wont be 'lying low'. by the time all that happens the decisions will be made and I can tell you its a LOT harder to get laws changed once theyve been made; just as its much harder to change somebodies mind if its already made up
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    Australia used to do it's own thing, sometimes quite innovative things. After 9-11 and all that Bush bum licking we had to do we started asking them for permission to breathe.

Now that's all history I'm hoping Australia might get a backbone again and make bold, innovative decisions....like New Zealand always has.
    bugzme, tally-ho, Emmeline and 1 others like this.

yep and any polly that has any backbone gets squished. we now have possibly the most pissweak government, least likely to ever go against big business in my living memory; led by a gutless wonder who talks 'tough', but goes to water if confronted.

that and the fact they took cash donations from big T already

our only hope is they might see there is some money in it for domestic start ups, I dont think our health will enter into it.
    Last edited by Cumulonimbus; 28-09-13 at 08:03 PM.
    commanda and spud like this.

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    Three types of people in the world. Some make things happen, some watch things happen and some sit back, do and see nothing, and afterwards say WTF just happened.
    necro likes this.

My wife always forgives me when she is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post

.....I think we aussie vapers should just lay low for a little bit, watch carefully how it plays out in both Europe and the US, and extract the best policies from those systems.....
    Yes, I think it's too easy (for people seeking or have found an alternative to smoking) to get sucked into the media hype and hysteria just as much as the general populous. Not that providing a counterpoint is a bad thing but (I cant believe I'm about to say this) maybe the AUS Gov. will keep a level head on this matter..? That being said its easy to get riled up when they (the media) use tried and trusted phrases such as "gateway drug" and "backyard laboratories" and "aimed at children" to solicit an emotional response and subsequently ill informed standpoint for the reader .

ozzie makes a fair point too I reckon.

what do you do ???

I suppose this thread is about US. in more ways than one.
    necro likes this.
    "Clicking 'like' on a Facebook page is not activism, even if you COMMENT IN ALL CAPS" -CJ Bowerbird

AVF Regular
    No point laying low
    In the National Tobacco Strategy 2012-2018 electronic cigarettes are mentioned

link ( sorry I cant get the link to download )
    http://www.nationaldrugstrategy.gov.au/internet/drugstrategy/publishing.nsf/Content/D4E3727950BDBAE4CA257AE70003730C/$File/National%20Tobacco%20Strategy%202012-2018.pdf

Trying another link
    http://www.nationaldrugstrategy.gov....l_ts_2012_2018

see page 31

Alternative nicotine delivery systems
    Alternative nicotine delivery systems are products that have not been classified as safe and effective means of NRT. The main type of alternative nicotine delivery systems on the market at present is electronic cigarettes.
    Electronic cigarettes, also called e-cigarettes, are battery-operated devices that generally contain cartridges filled with nicotine, flavour and other chemicals. The electronic cigarette turns nicotine (which is highly addictive) and other chemicals into a vapour that is inhaled by the user. Unlike NRT products, e-cigarettes have not been approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration for medically supervised use to quit smoking.87 A number of studies raise considerable doubt about their quality and safety, product consistency and reliability, and about the utility of the labelling and packaging.88,89,90,91,92,93 There is evidence of e-cigarettes and other alternative nicotine products being advertised on the internet and available in Australia.94
    Some international jurisdictions (notably the US FDA) have begun to develop responses to e-cigarettes to protect public health. Other jurisdictions (notably the United Kingdom) have announced they are exploring the potential benefits of these devices.
    While the sale of nicotine in cartridges is prohibited as a Schedule 7 poison under the Standard for Uniform Scheduling of Medicines and Poisons, these nicotine delivery systems are not currently regulated in Australia. There is a need to better understand the potential risks and/or benefits of these products, determine whether there is a need to increase restrictions on their availability and use, and identify the most appropriate policy approach for Australia.
    The Australian Government has commissioned a regulatory impact assessment in relation to electronic nicotine delivery systems and smokeless tobacco products, which is due to report in early 2013.

Has anyone seen any info on the below??

The Australian Government has commissioned a regulatory impact assessment in relation to electronic nicotine delivery systems and smokeless tobacco products, which is due to report in early 2013
    Last edited by margyb; 29-09-13 at 10:52 AM.
    mavinry4 and necro like this.

Thanks for sharing that margyb,It gives a "little" confidence our regulatory authorities are at least weighing the pro's and cons,I expect soon after the FDA anouncments are made we will hear more about this from the goverment.
    margyb and mavinry4 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast