Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By emissary
  • 1 Post By supersports600
  • 1 Post By Greg
  • 4 Post By icarus
  • 2 Post By kay67kay

Thread: Entering through the side door (ingredients on smoke packets and booze)

Entering through the side door (ingredients on smoke packets and booze)

I'm wondering if demanding that the government enforce a list of ingredients on cigarette packages and bottles of alcohol is a good entry point?

My impression or guess is that e juice manufacturers would be more than happy to list their ingredients? So why not Tobacco and Alcohol?

I'd much rather send a letter to my MP raising this issue at this stage (with little or no mention of 'e-ciggarettes'.)

The logistics of fitting all the ingredients on a pack of smokes may be tricky but it would insult my intelligence a little less.

maybe it could be a good diversionary tactic? and/or a way to align with other groups?

any thoughts?

feel free to tell me this is not thread-worthy, I'm not sure myself. thought I'd put it out there though, as it has been on my mind.
    Greg and spud like this.
    "Clicking 'like' on a Facebook page is not activism, even if you COMMENT IN ALL CAPS" -CJ Bowerbird

Quote Originally Posted by emissary View Post
    I'm wondering if demanding that the government enforce a list of ingredients on cigarette packages and bottles of alcohol is a good entry point?

My impression or guess is that e juice manufacturers would be more than happy to list their ingredients? So why not Tobacco and Alcohol?

I'd much rather send a letter to my MP raising this issue at this stage (with little or no mention of 'e-ciggarettes'.)

The logistics of fitting all the ingredients on a pack of smokes may be tricky but it would insult my intelligence a little less.

maybe it could be a good diversionary tactic? and/or a way to align with other groups?

any thoughts?

feel free to tell me this is not thread-worthy, I'm not sure myself. thought I'd put it out there though, as it has been on my mind.
    It would be a way of highlighting the hypocrisy of the situation and that is always a good thing. It would be interesting to have a more in depth look at why tobacco cigarettes and alcoholic beverages have gotten away with not complying with existing legislation.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    I've wondered the same thing. I put it down to it not falling under the category of food or medicine etc. so has it's own set of rules.

Obviously tobacco was a living thing, you wouldn't expect them to break down it's composition on the label, just state tobacco as an ingredient. Same as what happens in food ingredients lists.

Would be nice if they put the stuff they add to it / use in manufacture on the label though. Probably turn more people off than plain packaging etc would (if it has)
    spud likes this.
    Shop at Supersports600 eBay Store for all your Battery and Nicotine testing needs

AVF Regular
    You know what shits me is that for years I've been buying Tequila and 90% of the ones on the market are mixed with flavourings water etc, most Tequila's are only 51%Agave Tequila the other 49% is other things, unless its says 100% Pure Agave, its not. They don't even list the percents on the bottles, they just call the Tequila. They should list the actual ingredients of the other 49% and usually its the most popular brands that is doing this rip off. Australia should have rules against things like this, heck you can't call port port if its made here anymore or champagne champagne if its made here, but you can call 51% Tequila and 49% other liquids.
    Jeff

AVF Regular
    Sounds like a clever approach.. I like it.

I suspect the tobacco industry wouldn't be too happy to show everything that goes into cigs.
    Last edited by Greg; 29-09-13 at 12:20 PM.
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Sounds like a clever approach.. I like it.

I suspect the tobacco industry wouldn't be too happy to show everything that goes into cigs.
    I did some digging about a year ago. There are heaps of papers on studies of popularity of cigarettes in relation to chemicals they put in to increase satisfaction / pleasure etc.

This lead to a lot of rules put in place to limit the amount of certain chemicals BT were allowed to add.
    Shop at Supersports600 eBay Store for all your Battery and Nicotine testing needs

For the curious - a listing of components/ingredients used (Australia):

Imperial Tobacco Australia Limited - PDF 1039 KB - (starts at page 66)

British American Tobacco Australia Limited - PDF 995 KB (starts at page 86)

Philip Morris - Composite List of Non-Tobacco Ingredients Report - PDF 163 KB
    Philip Morris - Composite List of Tobacco Ingredients Report - PDF 328 KB

AVF Regular
    a brochure would have to be enclosed in every smoke pack to be able to get all the ingredients on there.
    spud and emissary like this.