Like Tree19Likes
  • 7 Post By Rynxa
  • 6 Post By GirlyPantz
  • 1 Post By avtek
  • 3 Post By Fractal
  • 2 Post By Quom

Thread: Something all vapers should hear.

AVF Regular

Something all vapers should hear.

https://soundcloud.com/vp-live/massi...ated-power-for

I'm not a huge fan of Rus, I do listen to his show most weeks, sometimes he says something I agree with.
    In this particular episode of Click, Bang he really hits it out of the park.

To summarize his segment, "In the face of negative press the attitude of, 'Oh shit, I better stock up on wick/wire/nic!' is counter productive.
    Do something about it."

Give it a listen, it's worth it.

My take?
    Education and vocalization is important, the opposition to vaping kind of has the money and clout to be louder at the moment. The only thing we can do is keep standing up instead of shrinking back and loading up for the apocalypse. I'm not saying don't keep a healthy doomsday supply on hand, just make sure it's not the only thing you do.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

AVF Regular
    One of the best ways that I can think of to informally educate non-smokers that vaping doesn't present the same risk as smoke, without actually needing to speak to them. is if your doctor is happy for you vape and you are allowed to vape in their waiting room and like wise any medical institute that will allow you to vape on the premises, we need to be seen to be vaping there.

Look at the way people draw conclusions from situations and use it to our advantage...

Most people will draw the conclusion for themselves that vaping must be okay otherwise the medical staff would be up in arms about people vaping indoors. Those people that still see a problem will approach the staff or the doctor and then get told that everything is okay.

It is great to tell smokers about e-cigs but they, like us, are a minority group and while it might be helpful, the people that we really need to get the message to is the non-smokers. Once non-smokers see this technology as inherently different to smoking and recognise the risk factor is far lower they might actually start supporting the technology. Lets face it the majority of people are non-smokers and we need their support in order to fight the propaganda.

At the moment poking the bear will just have the ANTZ bombing the public with propaganda to gain support. We don't need to use propaganda but we do need non-smokers to wake up to the half-truths they are being fed by the media.

Word of mouth is a powerful tool so use it to our advantage.
    Last edited by GirlyPantz; 01-10-13 at 10:04 PM.
    mavinry4, Rynxa, porkchop and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynxa View Post
    https://soundcloud.com/vp-live/massi...ated-power-for

I'm not a huge fan of Rus, I do listen to his show most weeks, sometimes he says something I agree with.
    In this particular episode of Click, Bang he really hits it out of the park.

To summarize his segment, "In the face of negative press the attitude of, 'Oh shit, I better stock up on wick/wire/nic!' is counter productive.
    Do something about it."

Give it a listen, it's worth it.

My take?
    Education and vocalization is important, the opposition to vaping kind of has the money and clout to be louder at the moment. The only thing we can do is keep standing up instead of shrinking back and loading up for the apocalypse. I'm not saying don't keep a healthy doomsday supply on hand, just make sure it's not the only thing you do.
    i listened to this last night - thanks for posting - ur right all vapers should listen to this so i am bumping/commenting -
    Rynxa likes this.

AVF Regular
    I agree - the public need to be educated. Properly, not by propaganda.

But if you don't feel comfortable vaping indoors (such as a medical waiting room), you can still have a part of the fun. All it takes is to not hide your PV.

Seriously - I've seen people vaping out in the open air and trying to hide the device their sleeves. There's no need for it! Stop looking sneaky, and people will stop thinking we're doing something we shouldn't!

When I'm using my PV in public - I'm out there waving it around unashamedly. Sometimes it's in smoking areas, but increasingly often, it's not. I get people asking questions about it all the time.

When I'm on the clock with my work setup, it's on a lanyard, and outside my uniform. Even just having it out there, and not currently being used, still triggers people to ask questions - smokers and non-smokers alike.

Interestingly - over a year ago the questions were still very slanted towards "What is that thing?", now it's more "Is that an E-cigarette? Does it work?". So - the public are getting more aware.

I've even chatted to my GP about it. He's pretty cool as far as doctors go - and more the type to look into things rather than regurgitate a leaflet. He saw what I had, asked what it was. I told him, and how I accidentally quit. I was in there again a few weeks later, he's done his own looking into it, and wanted me to write down a few recommendations for starter hardware and suppliers for some of his other patients that have been trying without success to quit.

Medical staff often get a bad rap, but from what I've found, the one's I've spoken to are actually pretty supportive of anything that gets people off the stinkies. Even if you don't want to vape in the waiting room - just having a chat to them, telling them your experiences, and telling them what's really in the liquid can get some onside.
    GirlyPantz, spud and avtek like this.

AVF Regular
    I get sick of being asked if it's a bong of some type.
    GirlyPantz and timmah like this.