Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: EU Nicotine Amendments finalised

EU Nicotine Amendments finalised

The EU goes to vote on ecig and nicotine liquid regulations Next Tuesday, 8th of October.

The amendments put forward by those who have been supporters of ecigs have been finalised for Tuesday's vote.

There are good and bad parts to it. Most notably, the limit has been raised, but to 30mg/mL.

Read Clive Bate's take on it here.

Read the amendments here.

So, if I was going to move to Europe and continue vaping, I would have to make my 10mL bottles of 20mg/mL nicotine, 20%VG eliquids by mixing

6.7mL of 30mg/mL PG nicotine
    2ml VG
    Which gives me 1.3mL (13%) left for flavouring.

I'd have to purchase a different VG ratio of nicotine base. The 100mg/mL nicotine is so much easier, and gives me so much more freedom.

Sucks.

edit: Calculated,

If I used a 70%PG/30%VG nicotine base of 30mg/mL, I would have 3.3mL for flavouring whilst maintaining the ~20% VG and 20mg/mL nicotine.

Wouldn't be so bad, but not as easy and free as using 100mg/mL.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 03-10-13 at 09:26 AM.
    margyb, Crisscross, Rose and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    I can see the merit of 30ml/mg.
    I've only regularly vaped at 30mg/ml but no higher, I don't know of any vaper that uses higher, therefore this limit would be a far far better compromise between handling safety and consumer efficacy.
    I'd be quite happy for that to be our tested, freely available, maximum limit.

I'd still prefer to be able to buy 100mg/ml.
    margyb, mavinry4 and spud like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    I can see the merit of 30ml/mg.
    I've only regularly vaped at 30mg/ml but no higher, I don't know of any vaper that uses higher, therefore this limit would be a far far better compromise between handling safety and consumer efficacy.
    I'd be quite happy for that to be our tested, freely available, maximum limit.

I'd still prefer to be able to buy 100mg/ml.

No doubt this would be a good limit, although I think it would be even better if it were precisely 36mg/mL to keep inline with HealthCabin-like stocks.

for 48 to 100 mg/mL there needs to be a small road block to deter those who aren't serious about DIY ejuice and handling/storing such concentrations safely. A low-cost poisons handling licence would be sufficient.

Retail sales of Nicotine solutions above 100mg/mL should be outright banned. No one needs them, I don't care what their excuse is.

Better than expected. Vaping will survive. Ready to vape liquids with 30 mg/ml should satisfy most vapers. Flavour concentrates are readily available that only need to be at 2-5% of volume so DIY is hampered a little, but not too much.

If we had the same rules here in Oz I would be celebrating. The doubler business would suffer, but the pre-mixed market would then take off. It would be much easier for smokers to go to a B&M store and get what they need to make the switch.
    margyb, mavinry4 and spud like this.

A major part of my reason for DIY ejuice mixing is that I prefer to control my VG and nicotine content.

If vendors began allowing customers to choose the exact nicotine and VG content, I might end up giving up DIY vaping in the long run anyway.

But I prefer 20mg/mL, not 18mg/mL. And I prefer 20%VG, not 25%, and I've only come across a couple of overseas vendors willing to make custom made ejuices.
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    This bit may be of concern

c) nicotine containing products with additives listed in article 6 paragraph 4 are not placed on the market;
    Have to go and search for article 6 paragraph 4 unless anyone has it handy??

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    A major part of my reason for DIY ejuice mixing is that I prefer to control my VG and nicotine content.

If vendors began allowing customers to choose the exact nicotine and VG content, I might end up giving up DIY vaping in the long run anyway.

But I prefer 20mg/mL, not 18mg/mL. And I prefer 20%VG, not 25%, and I've only come across a couple of overseas vendors willing to make custom made ejuices.
    Obviously not asking the right ones.

My good old romanian buddy that mixes the nicest juices i've ever tasted (real clean, minimal flavouring) makes ratios in whatever the hell you want, and nic mixed in at whatever the hell level you want too. Although it's a little bit hard for him to ship outside of romania though

Quote Originally Posted by margyb View Post
    This bit may be of concern

Have to go and search for article 6 paragraph 4 unless anyone has it handy??
    http://ec.europa.eu/health/tobacco/d...012_788_en.pdf

4. Member States shall prohibit the use of the following additives in tobacco products:
    (a) vitamins and other additives that create the impression that a tobacco product
    has a health benefit or presents reduced health hazards, or
    (b) caffeine and taurine and other additives and stimulant compounds that are
    associated with energy and vitality, or
    (c) additives having colouring properties for emissions.
    margyb and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks Mav Just found it and feel relieved.
    Now I must seriously start learning to use concentrates I think
    mavinry4 and spud like this.

Personally, I'd like more additives added to that ban list.

See: How Philip Morris Plans to Screw Vapers
    margyb, tugboatofdeath and spud like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast