Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Some good reading here

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs

Some good reading here

Make no mistake, this is a "Quit cold Turkey" Rant, but some Interesting information and reasons for nicotine addiction.

The pharmaceutical industry is making billions selling nicotine and nicotine designer drugs to nicotine addicts. Their sphere of influence extends far beyond our wildest imaginations. They know that the only way to continue to increase market share and profits is by continuing their campaign to destroy the credibility of earth's most productive means of quitting - abrupt nicotine cessation.
    John R. Polito
    Nicotine Cessation Educator

The above is the very last paragraph. Read the rest. Well worth it!!!

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html
    Last edited by Robray; 03-10-13 at 10:37 PM. Reason: forgot the link!!!
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

I like this one:

...36.6% of all current nicotine gum users are chronic long-term users ...
    "Clicking 'like' on a Facebook page is not activism, even if you COMMENT IN ALL CAPS" -CJ Bowerbird

I can't find any actual scientific qualifications for the guy who is giving this rant, and a lot of what he is saying is scientifically questionable, as well as being couched in a lot of moralising comment. I guess his agenda is to flog his method and sell his books. Seems a hodge podge of half truths and scare mongering with a lot of very loose interpretations.
    Robray, MrGruffy and mattydredd like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Super Moderator
    I think the author at Y quit may have copied and pasted some of that from here HowStuffWorks "How Nicotine Works"
    theres loads more things the author didnt share with us eg: "Nicotine (C10H14N2) is a naturally occurring liquid alkaloid. An alkaloid is an organic compound made out of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and sometimes oxygen. These chemicals have potent effects on the human body. For example, many people regularly enjoy the stimulating effects of another alkaloid, caffeine, as they quaff a cup or two of coffee in the morning.
    Nicotine normally makes up about 5 percent of a tobacco plant, by weight. Cigarettes contain 8 to 20 milligrams (mg) of nicotine (depending on the brand), but only approximately 1 mg is actually absorbed by your body when you smoke a cigarette"

or

"Some of nicotine's effects have spurred studies on whether it might be useful as a therapy for certain conditions. Some diseases that nicotine might improve include:

Alzheimer's Disease - The first neurons lost to Alzheimers are cholinergic neurons in a specific region of the brain. Nicotine may improve the function of the neurons that are left and slow the onset of symptoms.
    Tourette's Syndrome - This disease produces tics (uncontrolled movements of the head, hands and other body parts) and violent urges in its sufferers. Nicotine patches that slowly deliver nicotine through the skin can reduce symptoms of people with Tourette's."

i also like this one. http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...s-disease.aspx
    Last edited by Rhojin; 04-10-13 at 03:47 AM.
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    I can't find any actual scientific qualifications for the guy who is giving this rant, and a lot of what he is saying is scientifically questionable, as well as being couched in a lot of moralising comment. I guess his agenda is to flog his method and sell his books. Seems a hodge podge of half truths and scare mongering with a lot of very loose interpretations.

Yes you are correct in that he has no formal scientific qualifications.He doesn't really claim to have any.If you want to believe his financial disclosure statement, he receives nothing at all from anybody, and the whole thing is financed by himself for ideological reasons. My original comment still stands about interesting reading.

Truths and half truths and downright lies have always been the stock in trade of these people, and in reality this guy is no worse than Silly Chimpman.

WhyQuit - Financial Disclosures

Background of Joel Spitzer, Nicotine Cessation Educator
    mattydredd and spud like this.

that howstuffworks article needs to have a report/query placed on it; it has some of the usual mistakes. no cigarette contains 8-20mg of nicotine, they contain 2-20mg of TAR, and as low as 0.1 and up to 1.2mg of nicotine. look on any of the huge warnings plastered on packets now and its clearly labelled this way (well OK this wont be convenient for many of us).

Quote Originally Posted by Rhojin View Post
    I think the author at Y quit may have copied and pasted some of that from here HowStuffWorks "How Nicotine Works"
    theres loads more things the author didnt share with us eg: "Nicotine (C10H14N2) is a naturally occurring liquid alkaloid. An alkaloid is an organic compound made out of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and sometimes oxygen. These chemicals have potent effects on the human body. For example, many people regularly enjoy the stimulating effects of another alkaloid, caffeine, as they quaff a cup or two of coffee in the morning.
    Nicotine normally makes up about 5 percent of a tobacco plant, by weight. Cigarettes contain 8 to 20 milligrams (mg) of nicotine (depending on the brand), but only approximately 1 mg is actually absorbed by your body when you smoke a cigarette"

or

"Some of nicotine's effects have spurred studies on whether it might be useful as a therapy for certain conditions. Some diseases that nicotine might improve include:

Alzheimer's Disease - The first neurons lost to Alzheimers are cholinergic neurons in a specific region of the brain. Nicotine may improve the function of the neurons that are left and slow the onset of symptoms.
    Tourette's Syndrome - This disease produces tics (uncontrolled movements of the head, hands and other body parts) and violent urges in its sufferers. Nicotine patches that slowly deliver nicotine through the skin can reduce symptoms of people with Tourette's."

i also like this one. Nicotine in peppers and tomatoes may provide protective effect against Parkinson's disease
    spud likes this.

Super Moderator
    Cumulonimbus your right there, when I was reading it I thought it might of been a mistake, however the 'naturally occurring liquid alkaloid ' bit is interesting, also if nicotine is in foods like tomartoes and chillies then can it really be that bad for us? I meen more than half the world eat either or both.
    I really dont think nicotine is bad for us but that might be the addict in me talking lol
    spud likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    Yes you are correct in that he has no formal scientific qualifications.He doesn't really claim to have any.If you want to believe his financial disclosure statement, he receives nothing at all from anybody, and the whole thing is financed by himself for ideological reasons. My original comment still stands about interesting reading.

Truths and half truths and downright lies have always been the stock in trade of these people, and in reality this guy is no worse than Silly Chimpman.

WhyQuit - Financial Disclosures

Background of Joel Spitzer, Nicotine Cessation Educator
    This piece is very similar to a lot of other moralistic propaganda, and uses exactly the same types of psychological tools, and unless people knew what they were reading was a cleverly designed piece of propaganda, it would be easy to get swayed by the arguments put forward. This piece has a lot in common with religious tracts, and other religion based 12 step programs, and follows the same formula. If I get time today I will dissect it, and give a rundown of each psychological tool being used.

The use of language is very important in this sort of propaganda, as is the appearance of a lack of financial reward for the promoters, the appearance of "knowledge" which is often partly correct, (as in his analysis of nicotine ), and the reiteration of common moralistic themes, without any questioning of these themes, they expect people to just accept their beliefs as absolutes, very like religion. The use of fear and guilt is obvious throughout the piece, and again is similar to religious tracts and promotion.

As any scientist will tell you, "the dose makes the poison", as it is with almost every drug used by humans today. but this piece does not bother with the actual science, and fails to acknowledge that nicotine use is not the same as smoking, smoking tobacco is just the most common delivery system for nicotine. This piece focuses on the "morality" of addiction, and views the use of nicotine as inherently bad, although fails to show this in any rational way. The authors rely on people simply accepting their moral views, as correct, (just like religion), as the other propaganda put forward, the guilt, fear, and offer of salvation, rests on this acceptance.

Very interesting, but very transparent when you know what to look for.
    arjay55 and Vapes of Groth like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Make no mistake, this is a "Quit cold Turkey" Rant, but some Interesting information and reasons for nicotine addiction.

Spud, I couldn't agree with you more, but for me the interesting thing was the explanations of the effects on the brain that fuel the addiction, and the last paragraph that condemns big Pharma. We need to remember that the only viable recreational Nicotine delivery system was tobacco in some form when he started his crusade.

He has been grinding his axe from the mid seventies, way before the Tobacco paranoia of today. He will have zero time for our harm reduction approach. He is against addiction in any shape or form. If his rants achieve the objective, fine, but we all know of a working alternative, when the Cold Turkey approach fails.
    arjay55 and spud like this.

Acceptance that drug addiction is a mental disorder and that we're just as addicted as the alcoholic, heroin or meth addict destroys the need for nicotine use rationalizations. Try this. List your top ten reasons for using. Now go back and cross off all the reasons except the truth, that hijacked pay attention pathways kept us wanting for more.

Nicotine helps me concentrate. I had quit for a few years during my early twenties, and my ADHD during that time was through the roof.

Nicotine helps me relax when I'm on the road. During those few years that I was a non-smoker, sometimes I would get stuck in bumper to bumper Sydney traffic, and literally lose my head screaming out how much I wanted to kill every person around me.

Nicotine helps me take a break from writing. When writing up a long report for work and come to a writers block, I go outside, have a few puffs on my ecig, come back, and I get though a couple of paragraphs. When I was a non-smoker, I had to go for a long walk to the Kiosk. I spent a fortune of Pepsi Maxs.
    Vapes of Groth and spud like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast