Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Whats the Lethal dose of Nicotine?

Whats the Lethal dose of Nicotine?

Whats the Lethal dose of Nicotine?

Dr Farsalinos points to a recent review on the toxicity of nicotine that questions the available literature on how toxic nicotine actually is.

....I always wondered how the lethal dose level was defined, because everyone mentioned that the lethal dose was just theoretical and was never really tested. In animals the lethal dose may be from 3mg/kg in mice to 50mg/kg in rats, while a 60mg dose means a 0.8mg/kg in humans. A brief search of the literature revealed some reports that cigarette ingestion in children has a benign prognosis CDC 1997, Kubo 2008), making it hard to understand how a 60mg lethal dose is realistic and accurate.

Yesterday however, a very important review was published in Archives of Toxicology. Professor Bernd Mayer from the University of Gratz performed an extensive review of available literature in an effort to identify the existing proof for defining the nicotine lethal dose in humans. He has also found several references mentioning that the acute lethal dose in humans has been estimated to be 50-60mg. However, no proof was provided for such figures. He had to go back to the mid of the 19th century to find that the lethal dose came from self experiments of Austrian pharmacologists, who described really peculiar and unrealistic symptoms after ingesting just 1-4mg of nicotine. Therefore, reports based on dubious experiments and results 150 years ago are still reproduced today
    Click here to read the whole post.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 05-10-13 at 10:35 AM.
    Noe, GirlyPantz, margyb and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Surely it's less than 50mg/kg in humans if juice killed that toddler the other day (unless the toddler drank an awful lot)?

T7x
    AVF Regular
    It can be as low as 30mg in an adult.
    Do you know de way 👺

AVF Regular
    I'm thinking its much lower after the little girl died , Police investigating toddler's death from nicotine overdose | The Times of Israel
    probably around 1.8 or even less
    Jeff

Has there been any confirmation that that Israeli girl tragedy, other than the news reports?

I can verify that one. I know a vaper over there and yes, it really happened.

On lethality:

Probable oral lethal dose in humans is less than 5 mg kg-1 or a taste (less than 7 drops) for a 70 kg person (27). It may be assumed that ingestion of 40 mg to 60 mg of nicotine is lethal to humans (27). No inhalation toxicity data are available on which to base an immediately dangerous to life or health concentration (IDLH) for nicotine. Therefore, the revised IDLH for nicotine is 5 mg m-3 based on acute oral toxicity data in humans and animals (28).
    If you vape at 12mg per ml: 1x 5ml tank = 60mg = dead!

I vape 24mg per ml: 1 x 5ml tank = 60mg = 2 dead!

undiluted 100mg per ml: 0.6mls = 60mg = dead!

If you are talking toddlers probably a fifth or less of the amounts cited above. Never leave your vaping gear where a child can reach it!

Here is a link to the Israeli article:

http://www.timesofisrael.com/police-...tine-overdose/
    Last edited by second_chance; 05-10-13 at 12:35 PM.
    GirlyPantz likes this.

Beware! You are talking to an elitist panty hamster.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    Has there been any confirmation that that Israeli girl tragedy, other than the news reports?
    Tons of links about it https://www.google.com.au/search?q=g...ficial&spell=1
    Jeff

AVF Regular
    I really don't think .6mls of 100mg kills an adult human.

Really? based on what exactly?

0.6mls of 100mg/ml = 60mg does it not?

I am being conservative here at DOUBLE the suggested lethal dose of 30mg to kill a 70kg person by the way.

Beware! You are talking to an elitist panty hamster.

AVF Regular
    In the fact I've spilt at least 1ml on my skin and rubbed it in and kept working without as much as a headache resulting from it. I'd imagine transdermal intake would be better than 50% given we have patches that are 24mg instead of 100mg for people quitting.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast