Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Martin McKee reflects on the efforts by Vapers

Martin McKee reflects on the efforts by Vapers

....I did some homework and it rapidly became clear that the tactics used to market these so-called cig-a-likes were exactly the same as those used by the tobacco industry. These featured prominently highly sexualised advertisements and references to celebrity users, such as Katy Perry, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Moss and Lindsay Lohan. The e-cigarettes often contained flavours known to attract children, whether in cigarettes or alcopops, such as bubble gum. I heard from colleagues in several countries of new outlets springing up outside schools.

.....the main criticism was that the e-cigarettes I, and my colleagues at the WHO meeting were seeing advertised everywhere were not real e-cigarettes. Those attacking me sent dozens of pictures of the metallic contraptions they used, none of which looked anything like a cigarette. Indeed, the abiding impression is of what one might see if anyone ever created a museum of spark plugs. They also sent testimonies of how e-cigarettes had helped them cut down or quit smoking. Leaving aside the abusive tone of most of the messages, I was perfectly willing to accept what they said. They obviously did use these devices and I am sure that some of them found that they helped them to quit, even though I was equally sure that there were many more people who had quit without them.
    Read the full article here.

lol, "homework". He typed in "electronic cigarettes" into google images, and got a whole bunch of cigalike pictures.

A bit of pretentious rambling, but at least Martin McKee, unlike Simeon Chimpman, is beginning to make distinctions between 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation ecigs. Although, he claimed that the first ecigs were the mods and that the cigalikes are the latest type of ecigs. He needs to do more "homework".

AVF Regular
    The comments after the article are brilliant. McKee is being schooled by a very articulate grassroots movement.

This genie is well and truly out of the bottle now. I feel pretty positive about the future of ecigs, even though I know there are more hurdles ahead. I think the wind is behind our backs.

I hope he reads my contribution to the comments!
    margyb and mavinry4 like this.

GAWD are all these public health people such pompous twats? Do they really think that whinging about people disagreeing with their views, gains them any respect at all? They sound like a bunch of whining ten year olds. Obviously their arguments are crap, and voted down, but they seem to want to keep biting the same cherry. Seems they equate passion with aggression now, and anyone who speaks out against them as astroturfers for big tobacco, what a crock.

I stand by my evaluation of Chimpman as a narcissist, and this guy seems to be cut from that same cloth. They simply cannot admit that they are WRONG.

GGGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    GirlyPantz and Jessamine like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Let's spare a thought for these poor guys. They studied hard 30 years ago and rose to the top of their academic field, gaining the respect of their peers and acolytes, and are accustomed to influencing decision making at the highest levels of public policy. They've long held to an intellectually formed view about tobacco, and for years have been treated as leading experts, with the public interest at heart. They are well studied in an old paradigm belonging to the last century when people really did have to either quit or die. Their own belief systems have served them well and up until now served the public well. Being anti Big Tobacco and pro medicinal nicotine seemed a responsible stance.

Then one day a Chinese pharmacist comes along and invents a device that blows the whole thing apart. Everything the academics have studied in the past no longer fits with the reality of how the public is choosing to use nicotine (and we all know vaping will completely replace smoking within 2 decades). McKee, McAvan, Chapman, Glantz - all the "leading experts" have had the rug completely pulled out from under them, and they're left standing there clinging to their cherished ideals like folks in a flood clinging to the family album as everything they know and love is swept away.

It must be pretty hard to rise to the top of your academic field only to find that all that knowledge you've accumulated has no relevance in the real world. Humanity, like a school of fish, is capable of making a 180 degree turn in an instant. Institutions are not, and those who serve them get left standing naked on the beach when the tide turns, and the "public" they have so lovingly tried to guide and control simply swim off to play in fresh waters.

It's rather sad really. Let's raise our glasses and make a toast - to the terrible sadness of it all.

To the terrible sadnesss of it all, hic. Bottoms up...
    margyb, Greg, Quom and 5 others like this.

AVF Regular
    i think it would be difficult not to be a narcissist, all their careers they've been praised and **** stroked by people, being so altruistic and that.
    mavinry4 and spud like this.

indeed, perhaps our most effective weapon for annoying the crap out of chappie and co, might be posting our sympathy
    mavinry4 and spud like this.

Super Moderator
    I would raise questions to his profiles on both Twitter and FB. I still question to this day wether that really is him, as any one with any self worth would have changed their profile pics. Having a profile pic with you giving the finger... is rudimentary at best...

nope, its high profile enough that he would have said something if it wasnt him; not really that hard to believe given his actions

AVF Regular
    The thing is, as far as tobacco is concerned, they ARE still the experts. Lavish a little praise on them for their anti-tobacco efforts, they'll be happy. Deservedly so. The problem seems to lie in the fact that they aren't making a distinction between tobacco and nicotine. You can't out-debate them, they have generations of experience in swaying public opinion. Need to make them remember that we have a common enemy, which is tobacco smoking.

There's also an inherent problem with the amazing efficacy of vaping as a quitting/harm reduction aid: the old saying "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." I think a lot of people are basically mistrustful of anything that seems to be phenomenally successful. We're always looking for the trade-off, the sting in the tail, the hidden danger. That is NOT what I think, don't get me wrong, but may well be what a lot of people, especially those who have been the Harbingers of Doom for many years, might be thinking.
    spud likes this.

I'm not fat, I just ate somebody who was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast