Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: The change in attitude that could come with a change in title.

The change in attitude that could come with a change in title.

I've done a lot of reading in the last 90 days or so, if I was going to change one thing about this whole 'situation' I would stop calling them e-cigarettes.

There's such negative connotations associated with cigarettes (henceforth known as smokes), that I think the future of 'Nicotine Delivery Via a Personal Vaporiser' would be better served if we as a community spread the word that these things shall no longer be called e-cigs.

Maybe have a worldwide poll to name the new device.
    I like PV and that's what I'm going to go with from now on, until further notice.

It may lessen the knee-jerk reaction academics have.
    When you, or I, say e-cigarette all they hear is cigarette.
    Then their brains translate that into smoking, which then goes into hyper anti-mode.
    The same could be said for policy makers. If we don't let them associate electronic devices with smoking then they will be harder pressed to classify them as tobacco or medical products.

Actively discourage people who call them e-cigs, and embrace the new paradigm.

I don't like 'vaping' either but I'll address that later on. It sounds like slang for something else, which I guess it is, but it has a more sinister feel about it.
    The example that springs to mind is Special K a charming upbeat exciting name. Nobody calls it Dog Tranquilizer.
    "Hey man I've some Dog Tranquilizer wanna have a go?
    What are you fuckin insane? Pissoff."

Similarly, "I've got some intermediate compound in the synthesis of methylhydrastinine" lets party!" Would be met with "eh?"
    Sex up the name to Ecstasy and you're on a winner.

Sometimes I boggle at how quickly I manage to derail myself.
    I really feel that we should move away as fast as possible from calling them any derivative of cigarette.
    Last edited by Grumpy Bastard; 09-10-13 at 11:14 PM.

i've actually been thinking the same about e-liquid, not only does it make no sense at all, but it has at least for me, links to liquid-e and e is already in the public vernacular

AVF Regular
    most experienced users...lol i said users...already call it "vaping" and "PV"...and often refer to the pg/vg/nicotine concoction as "juice".

i agree with you on most of that but what word or term would you use instead of vaping? it literally IS vaping. it's vaporising a liquid and inhaling it...call a spade a spade...etc...

EDIT!!! YES!!!!!!! I just realised from my signature dooby whacker that i'm about to break even on this vaping...ah...pv thingy!!! my expenditure is about to equal my expenses!!! that's fucking awesome...it's SOOO easy to spend money on this shit...
    GirlyPantz, tally-ho and spud like this.

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.

On the other hand the term "e-cigarettes" are a bridge for people to come to vaping and PV's from smoking. It's still the common vernacular. In the community, I use the terms PV and vaping. For newbies and the media, "e-cigarettes" is the easily understood word. Later on they can come to understand other terms; and certainly it is good to inform people about the better 2nd and 3rd generation "e-cigarettes".

We do not need to make words acceptable to the anti nicotine activists, prohibitionists and anti-fun police. We have tried to engage with them and they call us "astroturfers".

They can go fuk themselves!

vaping is fine by me, I will admit my main problem with e-liquid is its nonsensical

I call it juice, but most websites still call it e-liquid.
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    There is definitly merit in what your saying but
    "e-cigarettes" are a bridge for people to come to vaping and PV's from smoking. It's still the common vernacular. In the community
    is also true. As for E-liquid/Juice out at work its always just soup.
    My biggest fear is that I might die and my missus will sell my vape gear for what I told her it cost

Konstantinos Farsalinos Nothing will be offered to you. You have to fight for your rights....

AVF Regular
    I prefer Horse tranquilizer to Dog.

old joke, but;

ecig will be called P.E.N.I.S (personal electronic nicotine inhaler system).

ejuice will be called P.I.S.S (Personal Inhaler System Solution).

but being more serious, it's a logical idea to try and dissociate vaping from smoking. You could also promote the use of percentages to describe niocitne levels so that people dont confuse the mg of nicotine with the mg of tar in tobacco cigarettes.

Another idea would to only refer to cigalikes as "e-cigarettes" and refer to eGo and mods as "personal vaporisers".

But in order to do this, you'd have to get every vendor around the globe to adopt this change. It would have to be agreed upon. Most likely a campaign would need to be made with trade associations, and have consumer associations campaign for it.

I guess all we can do is start with the person in the mirror. If someone asks you what that thing is, you tell them its your personal vaporiser. Or come up with a generic sounding name like nick-e, (nicky), or PV (peevee).

Personally, I like "nicky", which could eventually be shortened to "nick".
    GirlyPantz, Samtron, spud and 3 others like this.

How about we steal a name the pharmaceutical companies have established and call them nicotine inhalers? They spent a lot of money making them publicly acceptable so let's co-opt it

From what I've read their main vector of attack is the alleged bridging from smokes to P.E.N.I.S.s (that's fuckin great btw), but they are going in the reverse exactly like the grass to heroin argument. Which as anyone with half a brain and no agenda knows is demonstrably false. They still use it though, and it seems to work pretty good around the globe.

Stealing Nicotine Inhaler is a decent idea, but I'm sure (without actually checking) that it's copyrighted/patented.

Not that I'm volunteering, because I don't have the skills to do it, but a poll type of event run by the major forums, where anyone can submit a name for the new product, have that run for say 30 days. Then those 1000's of different suggestions could be added to a page where people can go and pick their top 10. Have it run 30 days so even the slackest fucks can have a go. Take the top 100 or so and have a round 2 & 3 & 4 vote, and reduce it down until you have a short list of half a dozen.

There's stacks of super creative people out there, may as well put them to use.

Vendors will do exactly as we tell them. 'Sorry, I was going to buy x,y & z from your store, but I only buy PVs and I see that you're still selling e-cigs'.

Trying to convince the community will be like pushing shit uphill I know, it will be like trying to convince Americans that inanimate objects cannot be gay under any circumstances.
    Last edited by Grumpy Bastard; 10-10-13 at 05:53 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast