• 4 Post By spud
  • 1 Post By Emmeline
  • 2 Post By RichoVonBlack
  • 3 Post By mavinry4
  • 2 Post By Samtron

Thread: E-cigarettes gain popularity despite health fears

AVF Regular

E-cigarettes gain popularity despite health fears

A fairly balanced article and nice to see that they are not just talking about cigalikes

E-cigarettes gain popularity despite health fears
    margyb, mavinry4, lozza 82 and 7 others like this.

But it’s really two parallel markets that are emerging.

On the one hand are the traditional tobacco firms and companies like NJOY that designed their products to look as much as possible like real cigarettes to appeal to smokers. Those are disposable devices that sell for about $9 per unit and last for about 300 to 400 puffs before consumers throw them away.

“Our product has a paper feel, a soft tip and a flip-top package, because those things remind (users) of what’s familiar to them as smokers,” Weiss said.

In contrast, specialty stores like Vapor Space sell a totally different product with no resemblance to a regular cigarette. Rather, they look like very large pens or small piccolos. They have three screw-in parts that include a rechargeable battery, an atomizer and a tiny tank for e-liquids.
    Nice. FInally, they're starting to understand.

I think its great that the companies owned by big tobacco are getting recognised as such, and hopefully people will avoid these products and go straight of the better quality devices, or if they want cigalikes, buy them from non tobacco company businesses.

It makes me sick that big tobacco are trying to profit from ecigs, and I wont support them by buying their products, or by recommending their products, so it would be good to have it widely known which products are theirs, and which products have nothing to do with them so people can easily avoid them. I don't think I'm alone in this view.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    I think its great that the companies owned by big tobacco are getting recognised as such, and hopefully people will avoid these products and go straight of the better quality devices, or if they want cigalikes, buy them from non tobacco company businesses.

It makes me sick that big tobacco are trying to profit from ecigs, and I wont support them by buying their products, or by recommending their products, so it would be good to have it widely known which products are theirs, and which products have nothing to do with them so people can easily avoid them. I don't think I'm alone in this view.
    I agree Spud. Unfortunately it is a natural progression for them, their current product is poisonous and defunct and they need to move to something else to stay relevant.
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmeline View Post
    I agree Spud. Unfortunately it is a natural progression for them, their current product is poisonous and defunct and they need to move to something else to stay relevant.
    And that's why we use them, they have the infrastructure, the cash, the political links, once we have no further use for them we will discard them with the contempt that they discard those killed by their products,,,, yes I am in "Evil" mode,,,,mwhahahahaha!!!!,,
    spud and Cumulonimbus like this.
    Vaporista
    Noob for life

Last Analog

12-12-12 at Midnight

"If it was easy, all the cool kids would be doing it",

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post

I'm actually ok with Big Tobacco selling e-cigs, as long as they don't support the medicalisation of e-cigs as BAT, NJOY and Nicolites have done, or advocate the restriction of online sales as RJR and Lorrilard (Blue Cigs) have done. It's weak, and shows that they know that their products are shite. They are just as bad as those ecig companies that want to eliminate DIY mixing, and restrict nicotine sales in Australia so they can hold onto their "doubler" market longer. **** all those companies.

However, if Big Tobacco play nice, then so should we. If they're willing to be serious about developing a good product, and compete in a free open market, without trying to use legislature to give themselves a competitive advantage and eliminate competitors, then all the best to them.

but;

I think their cigalikes need major improvement. All cigalikes should come with a portable charger case, without it, they're useless.

They also need to rethink the connection between the carto and battery. It needs to be a snap or click on, rather than screw.

They also need to consider refillable cartridges. People will catch on really quickly that the prefilled-non-refillable cartos are too expensive.

I despise disposables. I think disposables are complete waste of natural battery resources and only serve to pollute the environment. Longer lasting, refillable cartridges will always get the respect of the Greens.

But even after saying this, I still am highly suspicious of Big Tobacco's incentives. I suspect that they would much prefer the ecig industry simply go away, and would prefer to make a crappy ecig so they smokers get a bad experience and never try ecigs again. But since they can't own most of the 2nd&3rd gen ecig patents, there's little chance that ecigs will go away. It won't be long until a smoker says, "I tried an ecig, it was shit. But what's that pen thing that guy over there is holding?".
    Emmeline, DanGibson and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    i think big tobacco has already taken the opportunity to diversify, it would have been stupid to have only relied on one income stream.

Anyone who is wealthy would depend on at least 6 income streams to stay such.

sure it's great to concentrate on what you are good at, but if you can buy shares in a winner and you've the funds to do such, you are going to.

I bet coke owns a fair portion of pepsi.

i still remember tab cola being the shizzle, pretty sure coke bought them out.

EDIT: LONG LIVE PV'S...LONG LIVE THE VAPOURISER!!
    RichoVonBlack and DanGibson like this.

I don't need squat for ages, i just went shopping.
    $1800.61 Spent on Vaping so far, stocked up for 2 years @ 8ml/per day.