Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: A Balanced Article from CNN

A Balanced Article from CNN

A good article from CNN. I like the fact that there seems to be a more balanced attitude to the reporting of ecigs these days. Of course, all the usual nonsense but I think well balanced with the positive. Maybe there is a change coming, maybe just maybe the media is catching up with the facts on vaping.

E-cigarettes: Healthy tool or gateway device? - CNN.com
    Robray, bugzme, Rose and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Yep, I sniff a turn around on the wind too. More and more reasonable articles, without the knee-jerk panic and suspicion that often surrounds things that are new/radical.
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    What I find hilarious is this 'gateway' thing.

If vaping can turn someone like me, who LOVED the taste of smokes for 30 years, into someone who almost gags at the taste virtually overnight, then how the hell can an e-cig turn a non-smoker into someone who likes smoking???? WTF?

It can only be never-smokers who could come up with that one.

They want to lock and bar the fire escapes just in case someone sneaks in that way...while there's a fire raging in the building!
    JenJ and spud like this.

It can only be never-smokers who could come up with that one.
    I started smoking when I was 8, so that was so long ago now I can't remember whether I liked it or not. But I doubt that many people liked their very first drag on a cigarette just as i doubt that many people liked their first taste of beer. But we all did it and then kept on doing it probably cause we thought it was cool or because of peer group pressure or whatever. But it wasn't the nicotine and it wasn't the taste that attracted most of us, that came later.

And it's not the taste of ecigs nor the health benefits that are going to get kids on ecigs and off real cigs. It's the cool factor or the peer group pressure that will have more influence.

It is here that our opponents have us in a bind. We are loath to promote ecigs as cool because we fear the backlash. Yet it is precisely the cool factor that will get kids off the real thing onto ecigs and keep them there. Without the cool factor kids will remain on real cigs until they grow old enough to be over it.

I have friend who I converted to ecigs. He now has converted his whole office of smokers about a dozen or so. How did he do this? Well it works like this: one person using a ecig looks a bit suspect: two people using it, it's like wow what that?: three people and its a crowd and everyone wants to do it.

As he works in an area that has a constant turnover of staff, every new smoker is converted. Why? Because in this particular environment it is the smokers who feel out of place and out of tune with the rest of the crowd.

People are herd animals, they will follow the crowd. Kids even more so.

end of rant....
    gtadmin, lozza 82 and spud like this.

my missus used to be a casual smoker like many people that drink. i dont think i have seen her smoke for over 2 years but when i first got a PV she had a try and liked the flavour and the nicotine hit, said it took the edge off when she was stressed. anyways tonight she asked outta the blue if i could 'make her an ecig with that yummy flavour' the one she likes most. she has a few people at her work i have converted to ecigs so i dont know if its the peer group thingy influencing her but i know the flavour definitely has something to do with it as well as the relaxation she gets from it. i got other mates who smoke ecigs now just for flavour no nicotine in them.

so in conclusion i guess there may always be some minority that may vape just for flavour but in saying that doesnt mean they going to even bother using nicotine. sorta like putting cordial in your water. put some flavour in your air lol
    JenJ and spud like this.
    If that doesn't work try a bigger hammer!

AVF Regular
    I want to see the evidence for the gateway effect. I have seen none in my travels and to me it makes no sense.
    spud and Cumulonimbus like this.

oh you know the types they love to just use the phrase "gateway". cigarettes are a gateway to marijuana, thats a gateway to other drugs blah blah blah. drink some alcohol thats not a gateway to anything or is it i never listened much
    If that doesn't work try a bigger hammer!

Super Moderator
    I was about to make a huge cut and paste of the conclusions found in the link in the article taken from this statement which the story linked to

"A recent review of all the scientific research done on e-cigarettes by Drexel University professor Igor Burstyn concludes "current data do not indicate that exposures to vapors from contaminants in electronic cigarettes warrant a concern."

In plain language, Burstyn concludes: "It's about as harmless as you can get."
    "

However the formatting in the PDF makes it very forum unfriendly

it takes you to the Drexel Universities findings of correlation of peer research .... its a lengthy techno jargon article ... but the conclusions make incredible statements in the positive for vaping ... It is probably well worth downloading and/or indexing for distribution or information against the legislators

http://publichealth.drexel.edu/SiteD...0e603/ms08.pdf

Key conclusions can be found in plain speak on page 13
    Last edited by Fatman; 15-10-13 at 12:42 AM.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by suspect View Post
    oh you know the types they love to just use the phrase "gateway". cigarettes are a gateway to marijuana, thats a gateway to other drugs blah blah blah. drink some alcohol thats not a gateway to anything or is it i never listened much
    It's a gateway to behaving like a wanker for a lot of people. I never saw anyone turn into a tosser after smoking a couple of cigarettes.
    spud likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast