Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: British Medical Journal Will no longer accept papers from Tobacco Industry

British Medical Journal Will no longer accept papers from Tobacco Industry

http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f5193

BMJ have now decided that they will no longer accept any science from the tobacco industry.

As a scientist, I am fucking appalled by this. Absolutely appalled.

To deny science from any person based on who they are, or who paid them is unacceptable. Science should be judged on the experimental approach itself and the reproducibility of the results. Science is blind to funding sources.

This is an ad hominem attack on a major scale. A scientific journal with an impact fact over 15 should not be doing this.

They even added this paragraph.

Some who work within public health and who buy the notion of “harm reduction” argue that the companies that now produce modified cigarette products and non-cigarette tobacco products, including electronic nicotine delivery devices (e-cigarettes), are different from the tobacco industry of old, or that the tobacco industry has changed. For “hardened” cigarette smokers who can’t or won’t quit cigarettes,13 the argument goes, new tobacco products could represent potential public health gains, and company sponsored research may be the first to identify those gains.

But one fact remains unassailably true: the same few multinational tobacco companies continue to dominate the market globally and, as smaller companies develop promising products, they are quickly acquired by the larger ones. However promising any other products might be, tobacco companies are still in the business of marketing cigarettes.

"Who buy the notion of “harm reduction”?" "Who BUY the notion?" Who the hell does BMJ think they are to dismiss harm reduction like that?!

And look who chimes in to see if non-tobacco ecig companies get the same exclusive treatment.

Does he question whether NRT companies get the exclusive treatment? Of course not.

I sincerely hope that BMJ get taken to court for discrimination. Better yet, I hope their impact factor drops below 2.

This is an outrage. BMJ should be ashamed of themselves.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 16-10-13 at 05:44 PM.
    GirlyPantz, Old Dog, Quom and 8 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Mav, I love your passion.
    And links.
    And [deleted by the spam mod]
    GirlyPantz, Old Dog and mavinry4 like this.

I agree Mav it's outrageous. But I think you have an idealized notion of science. Basically there is no science without politics because there is no science without people.

the tobacco industry has not changed in any fundamental way, and the cigarette—the single most deadly consumer product ever made—remains widely available and aggressively marketed.
    I might add to this, that humans have not changed either. It was politics then, it politics now and it will be politics tomorrow.
    Samtron and spud like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pgscott View Post
    no science without people
    Science exists in the absence of people. It is universal.

I wonder if this decision by BMJ had anything to do with the latest poll results;

Should e-cigarettes be regulated as medicines?
    Yes: 416 (22%)
    No: 1441 (78%)
    Total votes cast: 1857

Poll archive | BMJ
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    I read it this way as quoted

As editors of the BMJ, Heart, Thorax, and BMJ Open we have decided that the journals will no longer consider for publication any study that is partly or wholly funded by the tobacco industry
    arjay55 likes this.

science IS an ideal, how could you not idealize it, thats whole the point of it. there is no bad science, only bad interpretation
    Old Dog, mavinry4 and spud like this.

Science exists in the absence of people. It is universal.
    As I said, I think you have an idealized notion of science.

science IS an ideal, how could you not idealize it, thats whole the point of it. there is no bad science, only bad interpretation
    On the contrary there is no science without interpretation...

Quote Originally Posted by pgscott View Post
    On the contrary there is no science without interpretation...
    erm ... and how is that contrary to my post might I ask?

you seem to be stuck on the scientific method, rather than science itself. science to me is the body of knowledge and your observation only adds to it and can only be considered science if its been verified by others. your observation alone does not change science, it is an ideal of shared knowledge that is shaped over time..

today its often used to describe the activity too, but i'm not really sure I agree with that whole notion of 'doing science'
    Last edited by Cumulonimbus; 16-10-13 at 07:03 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast