Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Italy's crumbling Ecig industry

Italy's crumbling Ecig industry

Tough times for vapers in Italy .................

The excessive taxing will also have serious repercussions on consumers, who will have to bare the increased cost of hardware and e-liquid, which will eventually lead to the creation of a flourishing black market. Although the new tax is mainly to blame for the current state of the e-cig business in Italy, producers and distributors also blame the negative publicity in the media. Reports of harmful effects of electronic cigarettes on users, although unsubstantiated and sometimes logic-defying, often have a psychological effect on consumers.

Italy's Crumbling E-Cigarette Industry or How Excessive Taxation Can Ruin a Booming Business | E-Cigarette Reviews and Rankings
    margyb, eteach, mavinry4 and 4 others like this.

"I see, the bad moon rising, I see, trouble on the way"

GAWD, the short sighted stupidity of governments is just astounding, even though we should all be used to it by now, just when you think that governments couldn't get more ignorant, stupid and greedy, this happens!

Sheesh, do they not have any sense at all? People are switching to vaping in increasing numbers, so lets put a stop to that, we're losing too much tax, then some pineapple decides that "I know, lets tax vaping gear at the same level as cigarettes, that'll fix that", so vape shops close, a growing industry is destroyed, the black market flourishes, (where the gov will get no tax at all), people lose their jobs, others go back to the stinkies, and the health budget goes up again, other countries become wealthier on the back of internet sales to Italy. This move is just all round STUPID.

If the Aussie gov goes the same way, (not an unlikely thing for the Chimpy's to push for), we will see the same thing happen. STUPID STUPID STUPID.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    The Italians will just buy their stuff from outside Italy. Brilliant! It just hands the advantage to the Chinese on a silver platter.
    eteach, essiemessy, spud and 1 others like this.

dont forget the extra cost of policing..

brute force idiocy
    essiemessy, Rose, spud and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumulonimbus View Post
    dont forget the extra cost of policing..

brute force idiocy
    This is what is so wrong with either excessive taxing of an industry, or prohibition of a product that has huge health benefits for people. To keep having those health benefits, and to be able to afford them, this will make people who are law abiding people, be forced to use the black market, and become criminals, or support criminals, in the process. Its only going to hurt those that can least afford the hurt. I read a book years ago, a science fiction book about how corrupt government policies forced the majority of people into becoming criminals, in order to protect the wealth of a greedy few. Where most of the population was incarcerated, and became slaves to the wealthy elite, the world had become a giant prison. When I look at what is happening today, this book seems strangely prophetic. America is already well on the way to this with its war on drugs policy, and the criminalising of the poor. We are heading that way in Australia too, when you look at how people who are unemployed are virtually forced to lie and cheat, just to be able to survive.

This is all so WRONG.
    Last edited by spud; 18-10-13 at 12:16 PM. Reason: addition
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    My extended family currently has 2 B&Ms in Milan, Italy and this report doesn’t lie.

Tobacco in Italy is under a government monopoly, which did have some good uses (standardised pricing) and also some bad.

To put things into a bit of perspective, when I was there at the beginning of this year ecigs were booming like crazy. In Milan any street with a shop was almost bound to have a B&M, if not more than one. In the streets that ours are located there were no less than 2 others by the time I left in April.

A major reason for the high number of B&Ms was the law which would not allow tobacconists to sell electronic cigarettes (this has changed since). So essentially you could sell one or the other – cigarettes or electronic cigarettes, but not both.

Our shops are in steep decline, there was an expectation at some point that it would slow (it would be impossible to sustain 2 or 3 B&Ms on every street) but the measures they have taken have gone too far.

Customs tightened up like crazy, often seizing legitimate and law abiding ecig and juice imports at the border, holding them for 6 months and then letting them out (after paying a ‘holding’ fee, of course). Actions like this took a big toll on small business owners but they started to hire importation lawyers and it was pretty certain any package meeting requirements would get through (CE / ROHS logos, strict juice labelling etc.). Other people took to importing it to other countries and trucking them in (no borders within the EU).

Of course, the EU was in the midst of voting for juice over 4mg to not be sold anywhere but pharmacies (they do sell ecgis (cig-a-likes) in Italy) - which fortunately didn’t pass. Almost daily in the news there would be something that would put the growing industry in an uncertain state e.g. threatening to ban vaping indoors and in certain locations, generally nothing happened, just empty threats – but it did scare people and kept them away from buying ecigs and made many think twice before opening a B&M.

This tax has been talked about for a long time and is nothing more than the government trying to regain a declining revenue stream, unfortunately at the expense of the health of the Italian people and the employment of many thousands. Italy thrives on small business and the government seems very happy to kick them out on their backside, for money.

I’m going over there in a couple of weeks to assist my extended family and see what we can do about retaining our stores, but the future is bleak and there has already been a massive drop in electronic cigarette users. It’s all a very sad story.

**Sorry for the terrible writing. I was absolutely infuriated whilst writing this.
    Last edited by Tom@JuiceFactory; 18-10-13 at 04:42 PM.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom@JuiceFactory View Post
    My extended family currently has 2 B&Ms in Milan, Italy and this report doesn’t lie.

Tobacco in Italy is under a government monopoly, which did have some good uses (standardised pricing) and also some bad.

To put things into a bit of perspective, when I was there at the beginning of this year ecigs were booming like crazy. In Milan any street with a shop was almost bound to have a B&M, if not more than one. In the streets that ours are located there were no less than 2 others by the time I left in April.

A major reason for the high number of B&Ms was the law which would not allow tobacconists to sell electronic cigarettes (this has changed since). So essentially you could sell one or the other – cigarettes or electronic cigarettes, but not both.

Our shops are in steep decline, there was an expectation at some point that it would slow (it would be impossible to sustain 2 or 3 B&Ms on every street) but the measures they have taken have gone too far.

Customs tightened up like crazy, often seizing legitimate and law abiding ecig and juice imports at the border, holding them for 6 months and then letting them out (after paying a ‘holding’ fee, of course). Actions like this took a big toll on small business owners but they started to hire importation lawyers and it was pretty certain any package meeting requirements would get through (CE / ROHS logos, strict juice labelling etc.). Other people took to importing it to other countries and trucking them in (no borders within the EU).

Of course, the EU was in the midst of voting for juice over 4mg to not be sold anywhere but pharmacies (they do sell ecgis (cig-a-likes) in Italy) - which fortunately didn’t pass. Almost daily in the news there would be something that would put the growing industry in an uncertain state e.g. threatening to ban vaping indoors and in certain locations, generally nothing happened, just empty threats – but it did scare people and kept them away from buying ecigs and made many think twice before opening a B&M.

This tax has been talked about for a long time and is nothing more than the government trying to regain a declining revenue stream, unfortunately at the expense of the health of the Italian people and the employment of many thousands. Italy thrives on small business and the government seems very happy to kick them out on their backside, for money.

I’m going over there in a couple of weeks to see what we can do about retaining our stores, but the future is bleak and there has already been a massive drop in electronic cigarette users. It’s all a very sad story.

**Sorry for the terrible writing. I was absolutely infuriated whist writing this.
    I hope your family can keep afloat over there mate.
    Thanks for the insight that we would only have news reports to rely on otherwise.

If it goes that way here, it's not present vapers that are going to suffer, it's the future vapers. Most of us have supplies enough to last for quite a few years(except maybe for nic) but it is the health of many that will suffer because of greedy govt coffers.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DanGibson View Post
    "I see, the bad moon rising, I see, trouble on the way"
    yep. italy. world leaders. known for legislative stability.

what they do doesn't really impact us.

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Noe View Post
    I hope your family can keep afloat over there mate.
    Thanks for the insight that we would only have news reports to rely on otherwise.

If it goes that way here, it's not present vapers that are going to suffer, it's the future vapers. Most of us have supplies enough to last for quite a few years(except maybe for nic) but it is the health of many that will suffer because of greedy govt coffers.
    Thanks Noe. And you're not wrong. Another factor that we often forget is that vapers in other countries don't generally stock up on nicotine because premade juice with nic is readily available. One blessing from our backwards laws on nicotine here is the much lower risk of government taxation on vaping.
    spud likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast