Like Tree27Likes
  • 16 Post By Vapes of Groth
  • 2 Post By coal miner
  • 3 Post By Rose
  • 1 Post By margyb
  • 1 Post By vaping_gal
  • 4 Post By Old Dog

Thread: Harm reduction Works, Prohibition Doesn't.

Harm reduction Works, Prohibition Doesn't.

When AIDS came out and some people attempted to shame homosexuals and some countries persecuted them AIDS increased.
    When instead it was accepted that gays enjoyed sex and safe sex practices were encouraged the AIDS rate dropped.

When we had a "War on Drugs" and tried to stamp out heroin and shame drug addicts they shared needles more and Hepatitis spread.
    When we had free needle exchanges rates of Hepatitis dropped.

When the US tried to reduce teenage pregnancy rates by moralising and telling teens to not have sex they ended up with some of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the world. Countries in Europe where contraception was free and available have a fraction of the teen pregnancy rate.

Sweden encourages smokers to switch to much safer smokeless tobacco products. Swedish males have the lowest rates of lung cancer in the world. In the rest of the EU snus is banned, protecting the profits of cigarette companies.

Even Simeon Chapman agrees that e-cigarettes are far safer than tobacco. Indeed, nicotine without smoke is certainly less carcinogenic than alcohol which he happily imbibes, accepting the enjoyment outweighs the small risk. Regular nicotine consumption is less harmful than regular soft drink consumption. Cultures throughout history, including Australian Aborigines, enjoyed recreational nicotine consumption.

Almost every smoker has quit before. Why, oh why would they be tempted to go back to the cancer sticks even long after the withdrawal symptoms are gone?

Simple. It is enjoyable. It is very enjoyable, and does not destroy families like alcohol, it does not impair judgement or ability to drive or work.

So if we can obtain all the benefits and enjoyments of nicotine without the harms, why not? In the midst of the stresses and turmoils of life, it is a simple harmless pleasure that gives relief from the difficulties of life, helps in contemplation as well as concentration.

What on earth motivates puritanical do-gooders to exert every ounce of their being to making sure that enjoyment of nicotine must lead to death, by banning e-cigarettes and snus? Why have they not learned the lesson repeated again and again and again, that:

Robray, margyb, gtadmin and 13 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Prohibition only ever makes honest people criminals and the Al Capones of this world rich. Apart from that it helps nothing and no one.
    spud and vaping_gal like this.
    My biggest fear is that I might die and my missus will sell my vape gear for what I told her it cost

Konstantinos Farsalinos Nothing will be offered to you. You have to fight for your rights....

AVF Regular
    Vapes I salute you with a snus, a snuff, a vape and a glass of cheap Merlot
    margyb, Olfella and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    CLAP CLAP CLAP

Hope that doesnt turn into 3x pinapples LOL

Well said VOG
    spud likes this.

"Harm reduction Works, Prohibition Doesn't. "

After decades of the "abstinence" model of addiction treatment, many in the field now realise that for the majority of addicts it simply does not work. There is no cure for addiction of any kind and only a small number of addicts, regardless of the addictive substance, will ever attain abstinence. That is why harm reduction is a more realistic approach to addiction. the all or nothing approach has failed time and time again to address addiction, so if you don't accept the middle ground of harm reduction, then addicts of all kinds continue to die needlessly.

when you see ads on tv that say "don't drink and drive" or "drink in moderation", that is the harm reduction approach, they're not telling people who drink to stop, even though alcohol is the most abused drug on the planet. But can you imagine if govts took the same approach to alcohol as they do to smoking? it just would not fly, because the majority of the population drink. I think smokers have just been an easy target for decades, they are a minority so let's target them because we can convince the majority to join us.

But you're absolutely right, heroin addicts get needle exchanges and methadone - these do nothing to promote quitting, because realistically, harm reduction is the most appropriate approach for the majority of addicts who will never quit.

heroin = harm reduction
    alcohol = harm reduction
    smoking = quit or die already!

ps. I am a drinker myself so I'm not anti alcohol, but the hypocrisy against smokers just drives me insane
    Last edited by vaping_gal; 23-10-13 at 04:55 PM.
    spud likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapes of Groth View Post
    When AIDS came out and some people attempted to shame homosexuals and some countries persecuted them AIDS increased.
    When instead it was accepted that gays enjoyed sex and safe sex practices were encouraged the AIDS rate dropped.
    It will be interesting to see what happens when the FDA announce their deeming regulations soon.

In 1987 the gay community were fighting the FDA through ACT UP and had enormous success in getting things changed.

Our US vapers-in-arms could learn some valuable lessons from their experience.

FDA[edit]

On October 11, 1988 ACT UP had one of its most successful demonstrations (both in terms of size and in terms of national media coverage) when it successfully shut down the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) for a day.[9][10][11] Media reported that it was the largest such demonstration since demonstrations against the Vietnam War
    ACT UP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia