Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree326Likes

Thread: WTF NSW Health Alert - Warning on e-liquids (October 2013)

AVF Regular

WTF NSW Health Alert - Warning on e-liquids (October 2013)

Just up today

LINK http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/campaig.../e-liquid.aspx

NSW Health Alert - Warning on e-liquids (October 2013)

NSW Health Alert - Warning on e-liquids (October 2013) Currently selected
    Quitting Smoking

​NSW Health is warning the community to be careful if buying the liquids used with e-cigarettes, also known as e-juice and e-liquid. Testing of samples of the liquid has revealed that some contain high levels of nicotine that, if swallowed are potentially lethal.
    Tests of samples recently collected by the Ministry of Health indicate 70% of the samples contain high levels of nicotine
    Nicotine is a Schedule 7 dangerous poison. The unauthorised sale of nicotine is an offence under the NSW Poisons and Therapeutic Goods Regulation 2008.
    NSW Chief Health Officer, Dr Kerry Chant has urged consumers and parents considering using e-cigarettes to be particularly mindful of children and young adults accessing them and the liquids used in them.
    NSW Health warns parents to be particularly vigilant as small children may find the contents of the liquids enticing as they may contain fruit, or confectionery flavoured additives.

There have been reports of harm to children ingesting the liquid in Australia and a death has been reported overseas. The e-liquid packages often do not accurately detail the ingredients of the liquids and do not have any child resistant closures.
    Dr Chant said, “These liquids for e-cigarettes cannot legally contain nicotine. They are not meant to contain nicotine so consumers may not realise that they do and therefore they may not keep them out of reach from children and may mistakenly think they are reducing their nicotine exposure.”
    NSW Health has written to all tobacco retailers to remind them of the laws around selling products containing nicotine.
    The NSW Government encourages all smokers to quit smoking. Smokers can get support to quit by ringing the Quitline 13 7848 (13 QUIT), visiting iCanQuit | Quit Smoking online Resources | Quit Smoking NSW or by talking to their health professional.
    More information on e-cigarettes is available on the Therapeutic Goods Administration website
    Page Updated: Wednesday 23 October 2013
    Page Owner: Strategic Relations and Communications

AVF Regular
    what a load of rubbish bloody govt trying to keep their quitline alive >:-(
    GirlyPantz, Samtron, spud and 2 others like this.

AVF Regular
    So why don't they just regulate them for consumer safety then? I love how it ends with an ad for Quitline.

AVF Regular
    Wow they turned up late to that party Where did they get all these samples of nicotine? From bottles of nic perhaps? Stole them off honest vapers? Maybe pinched a few premixes as they came through Customs? Or did they actually raid baccy shops that were selling under the table?

Luckily they reminded us all about the quit smoking hotlines, don't know why we didn't think of that earlier, wouldn't have had to buy all this shiny vaping gear!

I'm not fat, I just ate somebody who was.

AVF Regular
    This bit has me curious and who is Dr Chant ???

Dr Chant said, “These liquids for e-cigarettes cannot legally contain nicotine. They are not meant to contain nicotine so consumers may not realise that they do and therefore they may not keep them out of reach from children and may mistakenly think they are reducing their nicotine exposure.”
    That bit is hard to make sense of

AVF Regular
    Do they provide details of the sample liquids that were tested, or any details of the tests themselves?

Looks like someone in the public relations section has had a slow news day type idea given the recent increase in media awareness.
    GirlyPantz, Old Dog, spud and 1 others like this.
    Pipes, tubes, boxes, atomisers.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 308hjute View Post
    Do they provide details of the sample liquids that were tested, or any details of the tests themselves?

Looks like someone in the public relations section has had a slow news day type idea given the recent increase in media awareness.
    Probably jealous of all the air-time the Bushfires are getting.

Would be nice if Dr Chant could elaborate on these samples. What kind of juice isn't meant for nic? I thought they were basically purpose-built for the later addition of nic?
    GirlyPantz, spud and Bobthebuilder like this.

AVF Regular
    I swear I had nothing to do with this I was only interviewed late last evening

Still trying to fid this Dr Chant ?
    GirlyPantz and Bobthebuilder like this.

AVF Regular

The NSW Government encourages all smokers to quit smoking.

yeah, because it's not like any of us ever tried that! idiots
    Noe, GirlyPantz, margyb and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast