Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: If not smoking, then what?

AVF Regular

If not smoking, then what?

I was just messing around with google and found this graph, which shows the incidence of lung cancer compared to the number of smokers. the number of cases of male lung cancer seem to have dropped in correlation with the number of smokers. The number of female smokers is dropping at the same rate, but the number of lung cancer cases is slowly increasing. so if it's not smoking causing lung cancer in women, then what is??

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=i...tm%3B534%3B472

(tried and tried to just put the graph in, but couldn't get the size to work, so it's just a link)
    GirlyPantz, margyb, spud and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    I'm sure there was a thread around here sometime recent that linked to recent studies blaming air polution.

Hrm, here, http://forums.aussievapers.com/club-...es-cancer.html

Now just stop breathing completely, and it'll all be fine.
    GirlyPantz and Cumulonimbus like this.

If not smoking, you will be come uncomfortable for some time at the beginning of stage.
    you have to use the e-cig to help you.

thanks for that yao...lol

Cancer is a disease of old age. The longer you live the more likely you will get cancer in one form or another.
    Old Dog and mrsgruffy like this.

AVF Regular
    yeah, but did you look at the graph? I wish I could make it show as a pic on the thread, but I can't. less men smoking = less men getting lung cancer. less women smoking = slow but steady increase in the number of women getting lung cancer.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    I was just messing around with google and found this graph, which shows the incidence of lung cancer compared to the number of smokers. the number of cases of male lung cancer seem to have dropped in correlation with the number of smokers. The number of female smokers is dropping at the same rate, but the number of lung cancer cases is slowly increasing. so if it's not smoking causing lung cancer in women, then what is??

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=i...tm%3B534%3B472

(tried and tried to just put the graph in, but couldn't get the size to work, so it's just a link)
    If I had to take a wild guess I would start looking at the hair care industry and all the chemicals used to colour, bleach and perm hair. I know we have quiet a few meterosexual males that take hair care seriously but it is still an industry that is mostly dominated by women and some of those fumes must be pretty harsh because I don't have a sense of smell yet they still choke me lol
    Last edited by GirlyPantz; 24-10-13 at 08:53 PM.
    margyb, kay67kay, Gresh11 and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    A few years ago my darling Mum (who is now 91 years old) and I were having a conversation regarding breast cancer. I was saying that years ago you never heard of anyone having breast cancer. Obviously women had it but it wasn't talked about. Thankfully none of my family have ever experienced it (touch wood) and only a couple of my friends didn't actually have it but knew of someone that had breast cancer.

Now, just about everyone of us or our extended families or friends have either been touched by breast cancer or know of someone who has either died or is a breast cancer survivor. I realise that the population is much higher now than it was years ago but geez.

During the conversation with Mum she came out and said in her quiet, wise, little voice, "you know, I think it has something to do with bras they make today". I had a little think about that and it's not as silly as it sounds.

Remember a couple of years ago the was a big ta-do about clothes imported from China (or some Asian country) and they found that the clothes had be impregnated with formaldehyde (embalming fluid) to preserve them in some way. I remember something about they were supposed to be using some other chemical but it was very expensive to buy and the formaldehyde was much cheaper and did the same job. (but they got sprung)

There were a lot of different items they (our customs/authorities) found this in, e.g. babies singlets & pj's, t-shirts, men's suits, etc. I can remember seeing something on TT where mothers were going through their kiddie's closets and actually throwing baby clothes out!

Now clothes are one thing but if the formaldehyde is still in a lot of the cheap bras (or any bras)........... our boobs are sitting in them everyday, up close and personal, so to speak. I don't know how many washes it takes to remove all the chemicals but it's something to think about.

And now, over the past year or so, we've seen K-mart, BigW, Target, etc. getting into selling all these cheap, cheap, cheap lines of throw away clothes (including $8 bras!), which is great if you have a large growing family but it makes me wonder if any of these clothes and bras, etc. have these dangerous chemicals still in them. Was it followed up to make sure that China stopped putting the cheap chemicals in their clothes?? Or were they just unlucky when our customs inspected one of their containers??

You often hear a News story but you seldom hear anything further about it. Who knows????

Maybe dear old Mum had/has a point (or not).

Just thought I'd share.

Cheers,
    Cath
    GirlyPantz, kay67kay and Mathy like this.

Diet, pollution, lifestyle (more women working long hours at higher profile, more stressful jobs, as well as mothering duties), longer life, more frequent scans (the breast exams themselves are pretty rough), more drugs in daily life, more accurate diagnosis, rough sex

Could be the males dying due to heart attacks, strokes, car crashes, industrial accidents etc before they get cancer.
    While the females may be less likely to die from those causes so they live longer to the point that either male or female would get cancer.

That's probably some 'tipping point' BS though
    Thing is, unless you see the rates of death due to other causes, and ages of death, you'll never know.
    Last edited by coopz; 24-10-13 at 11:47 PM.
    grouse, GirlyPantz and spud like this.

Kay did you visit the site from where the graph came from? This is the explanation found under the graph if you visit the site:

That's a brilliant correlation for the males in this graph but what about the women? While their rates of smoking have always been lower than the men and they experienced a similar drop in rates from the early 1970s, the incidents of lung cancer actually increased from 1975. This is due to the relatively high rates of women smokers 30 years ago and the two to three-decade lag in contracting cancer. So, while initially it might appear counter intuitive, this increase in female cases of lung cancer is entirely consistent with the underlying causal relationship.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast