Irish ANTZ don't like to be questioned.

The truth is, tobacco control activists like John Crown have been preaching to the converted for so long it probably never occurred to him that, for once, he might have to debate the policies he supports with people who know as much if not more about tobacco use than he does.

Welcome to the real world, John. Sorry you found the experience so uncomfortable.
    Simon Clark - Taking Liberties - Tobacco control Crown slips as debate ends in*uproar

Christopher Snowden: Why our efforts to cut smoking have been a failure

In the eyes of the public health community, Ireland is the poster boy for tobacco control.
    It has the highest cigarette prices in the EU, and some of the strictest prohibitions. Ireland was the first country in the world to introduce a workplace smoking ban. It has banned the sale of 10 packs of cigarettes, introduced a display ban and vending restrictions, and graphic health warnings on packs.

The European tobacco control scale has consistently ranked Ireland second-best in Europe. This scale awards points for criteria including high tobacco prices, extensiveness of smoking bans and advertising bans, and the size of health warning labels. Only the UK scores higher than Ireland, because it introduced graphic health warnings earlier and spends more annually on tobacco control. Unfortunately, the tobacco control scale is more concerned with prohibitionist policies than it is with outcomes. Ireland's high ranking belies the fact that there has been no significant reduction in smoker numbers in recent years.

According to Eurobarometer, the smoking rate in Ireland has remained constant at 29pc – the third highest rate in Europe – over the past eight years.

Ireland also has the highest female smoking population in the OECD – 27pc of Irish women smoke, far above the average of 16.7pc.
    Christopher Snowden: Why our efforts to cut smoking have been a failure - Independent.ie

Any lingering illusions I may have had about Crown simply vanished over his ten to 15 minute tirade. He is bad-mannered and tyrannical. Frankly if I had cancer I would prefer to visit a vet or a mechanic in preference to Dr Crown. If last night was an example of how the lofty and well-heeled conduct their affairs in the hallowed halls of that College then they should be ashamed of themselves.
    Forest Eireann - Voice of the smoker in Ireland - Forest Eireann Blog - Thanks to Senator John Crown I was embarrassed to be an Irish*citizen

By all accounts last night’s debate in Dublin on tobacco control did not show the tobacco control activists in the best of lights. Tantrums and tiaras, it was all too much for them, more on the link below. Anyway this is my experience of tobacco control faced with debate.
    Tobacco control and free speech | LifestyleReviews