Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree241Likes

Thread: HELP! They Just Banned E-Cigs at Work

AVF Regular

HELP! They Just Banned E-Cigs at Work

I work for a large multi-national manufacturing company in the Hills district of Sydney. I may have caused a bit of a stir with my iTaste. This morning the HR department released this memo.......

Dear All

When the Workplace Smoking Policy was written it did not take into account different types of
    smoking devices such as electronic cigarettes (sometimes named e-cigs or ENDS [electronic nicotine
    delivery systems])(1).

As I’m sure you are all aware, we have a no smoking policy within all its buildings which includes
    offices, factory buildings, lunch rooms etc.

You may have recently seen media reports on the use and sale of electronic cigarettes. Here is some
    general information on electronic cigarettes from the Australian Medical Association’s website(2):

The devices, which are being marketed internationally as an aid in helping quit smoking, have not been approved
    for sale in Australia, and the Therapeutic Goods Administration has advised that their safety and efficacy is
    unproven.

The AMA website further says that “Electronic cigarettes may leak lethal doses of nicotine, endangering
    users and those around them, especially children..”

“Some overseas studies suggest that electronic cigarettes containing nicotine may be dangerous, delivering
    unreliable doses of nicotine, or containing toxic chemicals or carcinogens, or leaking nicotine,” the TGA said.
    “Leaked nicotine is a poisoning hazard for the user, as well as others around them, particularly children.
    Dangerous and lethal doses of nicotine can be absorbed through the skin.”

The authority has warned that anyone considering buying and importing the devices, either for personal use or
    for commercial sale, faced having them seized because they were illegal.

For employees in New Zealand, the advice from your Ministry of Health is similar.

Attached to this memo are some questions and answers about electronic cigarettes from the World
    Health Organisation.

We have designated areas outside its buildings for cigarette (tobacco) smokers.

However, there is to be no smoking of electronic cigarettes in any form (e.g. as a pen, a USB memory
    stick or any other everyday item) in any building or on any site including within any
    company vehicles.

We encourage its employees to take part in the QUIT (smoking) program. If you wish to get
    information on the QUIT program, please contact the undersigned. The Workplace Smoking Policy is
    currently being reviewed and updated.

If you have any questions on this matter, please see your supervisor/ manager or the undersigned.

Yours sincerely
    Human Resources Manager ANZ
    (1) World Health Organisation WHO | Questions and answers on electronic cigarettes or electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS)
    (2) Australian Medical Association https://ama.com.au/ausmed/node/4619
    I know it is probably futile, but if anyone can help me state a good case to my employer pppplllleeeeaaasssee!

I already feel like going down the road for a packet........
    Last edited by laurie9300; 29-10-13 at 06:14 PM.
    susie canasta likes this.

AVF Regular
    That plain sucks mate. Unfortunately I believe they are just covering there own asses.
    Good luck with this mate and I look forward to seeing how this pans out.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

Wtf! Wonder when they are going to ban using inhalers, patches or gum? This is just plain wrong

Wonder about 0mg juice?
    Last edited by bikam0wz; 29-10-13 at 07:48 AM.
    laurie9300 and susie canasta like this.

... lurkin' and a likin' and a learnin'...

Super Moderator
    the only thing I can think of is print out some research in your favour take it to the HR department explain to them it is not smoking, it is not agaisnt the law and if they threaten to sack you tell them you will take it to fair work and have them charge for unfair dismissal. also point out that "The authority has warned that anyone considering buying and importing the devices, either for personal use or
    for commercial sale, faced having them seized because they were illegal." is wrong and "Electronic cigarettes may leak lethal doses of nicotine, endangering users and those around them, especially children.. is unlikey to happen 1 (and I am asuming here) there is no children at your work and 2 the nic you use is nowhere near strong enough to kill you or other adults if it accidently leaks on you. thats just my thoughts I am sure someone will come up with something better. whatever you decide please let us know how you go.

Super Moderator
    By all means, I'd take some literature in to try and convince them, but you're fighting an uphill battle I think as long as they can provide negative information from sites of authority. My opinion though, if you get a big NO, is to basically suck it up and join the smokers outside. No way would I be threatening my employer in any way shape or form over vaping. And this is speaking from experience - when I changed positions at work, my new boss essentially told me to take it outside, when I'd been stealth vaping in the office previously. It sucks, but it's not worth your job.
    Ingrid

Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    Is Ingrid the only one who thinks my penis looks slightly vaginal?

Retired Account
    From reading the memo, is it actually saying that you can't use your PV even in the designated smoking area? ie:
    However, there is to be no smoking of electronic cigarettes in any form (e.g. as a pen, a USB memory stick or any other everyday item) in any building or on any site including within any company vehicles.
    Last edited by mrsgruffy; 30-10-13 at 06:54 AM.
    margyb and laurie9300 like this.

Super Moderator
    I should also add if it was me in that situation I would be discreet about where I vaped at work and who I vaped in front off eg: if my boss was uncool I deff would not be doing it in front of him/her but if you are vaping on your breaks and not blowing it towards others i dont see that they have grounds for dismissal. but again that is just my opinion

Edit: also if you do decide to raise concerns with HR always be prepared I use to go to HR on behalf of my staff and I learnt a long time ago that they are very well trained in dealing/managing people (getting there/the company's way) the only way that I use to win was convince them they where wrong with facts and evidence to support the facts. (please excuse my writtings at the end of a very long shift and brain is dying lol)
    Last edited by Rhojin; 29-10-13 at 08:21 AM.

AVF Regular
    That's is all of the worst anti vaping propaganda rolled into one.

Rather than jeopardise your job by making an issue of it, just get a very small PV and stealth vape. Where there's no smoke, there's no fire. :-)
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    That's is all of the worst anti vaping propaganda rolled into one.

Rather than jeopardise your job by making an issue of it, just get a very small PV and stealth vape. Where there's no smoke, there's no fire. :-)
    I second stealth vaping! Double inhale
    laurie9300 and susie canasta like this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

AVF Regular
    At the very least I'd like to prove that E-Cigs are not illegal & I am not a criminal.......how do I do that?

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast