Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Like Tree1925Likes

Thread: Cancer Council wants WA's tobacco laws changed to specifically ban ecigs

When public health groups start to oppose public health measures, you need to start suspecting that money is playing a role. Today's revelation demonstrates that in the case of anti-smoking group opposition to electronic cigarettes, the money being received from Big Pharma is working to perfection. These groups are vigorously protecting pharmaceutical profits, even at the expense of severe harm to the public health and their abrogation of ethical integrity by failing to even disclose their conflicts of interest to the public.
    Reference: The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: Anti-Smoking Groups that Opposed Electronic Cigarettes Accepted Money to the Tune of $2.8 Million from Pfizer Alone in 2011-2012

In due time, that is a matter to be put forth in the Senate; a call for a Commission of Enquiry will have sufficient support.
    Last edited by AstroBoy; 03-11-13 at 10:35 AM.
    spud, Bobthebuilder and avtek like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    I've gone ahead and sent this email to Mr Slevin.

Dear Mr Slevin,

It's been on my mind since reading the article in The West Australian about attempts to have e-cigarettes banned, so I figured I should just be direct. I'm seeking reassurance that there is no conflict of interest in The Cancer Council's actions against e-cigarettes.

I'd like to ask if your organisation receives funding from the manufacturers of any NRT products currently marketed in Australia? Or if The Cancer Council has been connected with any research involving NRT products?

This kind of thing seems to be pervasive these days, despite the fact that it's clearly unethical. What was exposed in this article no longer shocks me unfortunately; The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: Anti-Smoking Groups that Opposed Electronic Cigarettes Accepted Money to the Tune of $2.8 Million from Pfizer Alone in 2011-2012

Sincere thanks for your time.
    On the Cancer Council Australia Web site they specifically say they don't accept funding from drug companies. http://www.cancer.org.au/get-involve...checklist.html

QLD Cancer Council does accept funding from a private health insurer though. http://www.cancerqld.org.au/page/sup...ajor_partners/
    Last edited by timmah; 03-11-13 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Added links
    Bobthebuilder likes this.

Thanks timmah. What's a rug company?

Also, WA is notoriously corrupt...there is so much money here it's a bit of a white collar free for all sometimes.
    Bobthebuilder and timmah like this.
    Please support the fight against the WA ban on the sale of vaping equipment!

I'm sure that any money received is done indirectly through x amount of organisations to obfuscate the actual source

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    Thanks timmah. What's a rug company?

Also, WA is notoriously corrupt...there is so much money here it's a bit of a white collar free for all sometimes.
    A rug company is a drug company when I type on my phone :P

Quote Originally Posted by timmah View Post
    On the Cancer Council Australia Web site they specifically say they don't accept funding from drug companies. Corporate partner checklist - Cancer Council Australia

QLD Cancer Council does accept funding from a private health insurer though. Major partners and donors - Cancer Council Queensland
    I don't understand this part;

You are a business whose operations support Cancer Council’s value and mission. For example, we have restrictions around partnering with tobacco or pharmaceutical companies.
    Wouldn't a pharmaceutical company's operation support their value and mission by research and drug therapy that treats cancer, like chemotherapy?

...and restrictions doesn't mean not at all, it just means restrictions.

Bottom line is tuggy's right; it's probably convoluted enough behind the scenes that it would be hard to prove anything anyway. I'm sure Mr Slevin will respond with; absolutely not, no funding from drug companies who make NRT products.
    spud and Bobthebuilder like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timmah View Post
    On the Cancer Council Australia Web site they specifically say they don't accept funding from drug companies. http://www.cancer.org.au/get-involve...checklist.html

QLD Cancer Council does accept funding from a private health insurer though. http://www.cancerqld.org.au/page/sup...ajor_partners/
    They work their way around all that
    In the link I posted a fe pages back they say on their website;

How much does it cost and who pays?
    Funding is usually covered by organisations such as the Cancer Council and the National Health and Medical Research Council or companies that produce the treatments being tested, like drug companies and device manufacturers.

So what they do is get the drug companies to go directly through to the research they commission, meanwhile keeping the acceptance of funds from the drug companies off their books. The same companies that produce NRT's also produce a whole heap of other pharmaceuticals, so those companies might be funding research that the cancer council commissions that have nothing to do with NRT's, could be cancer treatments or the like. So if the cancer council decides to ignore their concerns for ecigs and NRT products competing, then they might find that those drug companies decide that they no longer will fund cancer research and new drugs they produce for cancer treatment. They are masters of deception, they run the show in a way they can make claims like the one you linked saying they accept no funding from drug companies when the reality is their very survival depends on them financially. They're just paying their expenses instead of them, it's the same thing.
    Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 03-11-13 at 09:41 PM.
    Old Dog and oogy like this.

Mr Slevin replied to my email asking about funding by NRT companies with a categorical NO.

He then asked me if I was in the ecig business myself, lol!
    margyb, spud and Bobthebuilder like this.

Yes..sounds like a kind of passive ad hominum thing.

Yeah, he seemed quite excited that he got to say his nose was as clean as a whistle...is yours?

I answered truthfully that I wasn't in the business, and then went into one of my rants in defense of the disadvantaged of our society...and I'd started off sounding so calm and collected in the first email, lol. Oh well.

Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast