Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree346Likes

Thread: Quit Tales Collective !

Super Moderator

Quit Tales Collective !

Please use this thread to post your own quit stories

Do Not fill it with commentary please , just post after post of individual tales , this way it will be a great resource and collation for future use

Cheers

FM!
    margyb, Old Dog, Pleski and 5 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Thanks FM!

Here's my story.

I'm a 35 year old man who's been smoking since I was 18. I have various health concerns including weight and anxiety problems along with smoking of course.

Since I turned 30 I became more concerned with the effect my pack a day habit was having on my health. I was becoming less physically fit and I was told that during the night time I'd cough horrendously though I never knew it.

I was getting pains right behind my lung last year and was scared that cigarettes had finally taken their toll on me. But too scared to go to the doctor to have it confirmed.

After biting the bullet during the last long run of scary anti-smoking ads, I went and got an x-ray, which showed that I had a compression fracture in my spine which was a great relief to me - at least I didn't have cancer. Strangely enough, the pain has been less severe now that I'm not thinking about it all the time.

Anyway, it seemed like a second chance to me and I knew from previous attempts that Champix and nicotine patches and gum hadn't helped me quit. But there were a lot of guys and girls at work using E-cigs. I decided to try them.

It took a week of using both cigarettes and the E-cig, but once I had a good delivery mechanism, I stopped smoking tobacco cigarettes altogether. It has been 80 days since I lit up a cigarette and I am already able to breathe easier and walk the dog without gasping. I'm looking forward to other health improvements.

If it weren't for electronic cigarettes I know my life would be much shorter with a lower quality of life.
    Last edited by timmah; 31-10-13 at 03:40 AM.
    Pleski, Fatman, Megan and 12 others like this.

I was a smoker from the age of 12 to the age of 32. I am also a person with a psychiatric disability, and persons with psychiatric disability are far more likely to be smokers than the rest of the community. Among current smokers reported mental health issues are also prevalent. This presents issues with quitting that people who have no mental health issues may not experience; when I review Australian government sponsored Quit websites I do not see withdrawal symptoms as I experience them described (tremors, intense heat like feelings in stomach and head, inability to focus my eyes, emotional instability et cetera). The fact I did not see information I could relate to on the site severely discouraged me from using Quitline or other services.

I felt quite hopeless after attempting to quit using medical NRT; browsing these websites to see what I could do to help me manage the withdrawal process and finding nothing of use to me was very alienating. The symptoms I experienced caused me to miss work as I was completely unable to function, continuing was way too frightening for multiple reasons. In addition to what I described above in terms of physical symptoms the Quit resources also do not provide a source of psychological comfort, after one I was very dependent on from my early adolescence was removed. After this experience I felt destined to continue smoking and die from smoking related diseases.

One day not long after, my mother-in-law introduced me to electronic cigarettes, which she had used to stop smoking around a year earlier. I found that very quickly I preferred these to combustible tobacco cigarettes and that using these I was able to phase tobacco cigarettes out over the Christmas holiday period in 2011. I had a few brief lapses after that point, but have not smoked a cigarette now for well over a year. This was a relatively painless experience and I was able to obtain 24hr support from other electronic cigarette (aka 'personal vaporiser') users (aka 'Vapers') over the internet. The online electronic cigarette community is vibrant and enthusiastic about users switching from cancer-causing burnt tobacco to low/no-nitrosamine safer electronic cigarettes. This community is populated by people like myself; those who found quitting cigarettes by medically available means to be extremely difficult to impossible. Therefore, I did not feel alienated by the information presented on the social media fora on which the information is presented.

AVF Regular
    I am a 39 years old male and have been smoking for about 22 years and reached almost a pack of 25s a day. During this 22 years I have tried to quit countless times but eventually I would just went down to a convenient store and buy a pack. My wife (38) was also a smoker and suffer depression for some 20 years. We have spent like $600 each week on cigarette alone. As of June this year, I've discovered the use of e-cig (also known as PV) from a workmate who has smoked for some 30 years but was able to switch to PV in couple of days. After knowing his success story, I had decided to give a go.

My wife and I started off cig alike with 6mg of nicotine cartridges but it wasn't effective. I still had craving for smoke. This craving however had disappeared for both of us after we have moved on to eGO type of PV. In less than 2 days, both of us had been successfully switched to eGO and haven't touched a cigarette since. We have now moved on to more advanced model of PV to compensate the less powerful eGO batteries. Many of our workmates and friends have also picked up PV after knowing our stories in past 5 months.

Personally, I am so glad that we have switched to vaping. Our sleeping qualities have significantly improved. No more morning cough and bad breath. No more tar stuck in the nose and short breath climbing stairs.

As for me, I don't know if there will be a long term harm in vaping but I can't live that long to prove it to politician and regulators. All I know is I benefit from vaping in short term. At least during the time before my passing. I urge the law makers/politicians that it is not in your generation to prove the long term effect of vaping. Time will tell and you will not be responsible for if vaping turn out to be having negative health effect after 50 years of studies. We won't know that, at least not in this generation.
    Last edited by porkchop; 31-10-13 at 05:19 PM.
    Quit on 10.06.2013
    Ave Smoked: 15-20/Day for 22 years
    Spent on Smoke: $600/month when 1 pack = $18

Super Moderator
    Hi all I am a 33y/o male had been smoking for 20 years, I thought I never would be able to quit my health was declining over the last 5 years and I noticed my cheast was always tight and in general I felt like crap.... Earlier this year a dear friend of mine was told they had COPD (this crushed me), I decided then and there that I was going to quit and try and help my friend if I could by example and encourgement. so on the 10th of june this year I put down the smokes and went cold turkey (that nearly killed me and I was in danger of taking up the habbit again) Then by chance my neighbour started chatting with me and told me about vaping.... so I did alot of research and jumped in, since the 10th of june I have not had a smoke and I am glad to say that my dear friend has now been vaping for just over a month and also has not had a ciggy
    Crisscross, Fatman, Rose and 10 others like this.

I am 44 years of age, a female and had been smoking since the age of 14.
    Numerous attempts over the past 20 years to stop involved NRT such as patches, inhaler and gum and lasted for perhaps 10 days if I was lucky. I also had a try of the champix but felt quite ill on those pills. Quitline was something I also tried whilst trying to quit but I was really not getting any benefit myself from talking to a stranger because in this day and age things can be looked up on the internet and support given in many ways via good friends and family.
    I took up vaping in February 2013 and I haven't looked back. I have now been cigarette free for nearly 9 months and I feel healthier, cleaner, no more breathlessness, no awful smokers cough, I don't smell of the stinkies anymore and my husband and two girls can hug/kiss me without making faces of (eeewwww smelly breath). I am very proud of myself and have made loved ones proud of me too.
    I can confidently say I would not have come this far without electronic cigarettes and the information in this forum is A+ because alot of the members here go above and beyond to find information on the ever growing world of ecigarettes and studies that are being performed enabling those of us who don't know how to or are not able to look up for ourselves.
    As an added note, I have just converted my sister to vaping, her story is very similar to mine, she smoked for only a few years less than I. She has been cigarette free for almost a month!!

AVF Regular
    I'm a 59 year old male. I've been smoking a minimum of two 50g packs of Port Royal a week since 1974 (39 years). In that time I have tried numerous times to quit using a variety of methods (hypnotherapy, acupuncture, patches, cold turkey) but always failed. The thing that NRT doesn't address is the habit, the triggers (the meal, the coffee.....we all know them intimately), the little "ceremony" of having a smoke. Like all smokers I always knew cigarettes were not good for me. Mind you I grew up in an era where at the Saturday matinee at the movies they'd advertise cigarette to 10 year olds between Robin Hood and Zorro.

About 6 weeks ago I bought a personal vapouriser (e-cig) out of sheer desperation after a reccommendation from one of the regulars here, Doc......who I met through online gaming. Well the rest is history, I haven't had a cigarette since, and haven't seriously wanted one. Numerous times I find myself reaching for my smokes out of pure habit.....but instead I grab my PV and the urge is satisfied. I am over the moon that I have finally kicked ciggies.....and I'm $5000 a year better off. I just know if vaping was banned I'd be back on tobacco within a week.

I haven't posted much but I've read a lot and I'd like to thank you all for all the great articles and especially Doc for pointing me in the right direction.

[Edit] I've been reading everyone else's story and the thing that struck me was virtually everyone (myself included) has said how easy it has been to quit using vaping. Every other method (and I've tried virtually everything except Champix....no thanks) is just plain hard and it seems for the majority quitting using vaping is easy......easy is good.
    Last edited by Blaktop; 03-11-13 at 03:57 PM.

AVF Regular
    I'm 33, smoked from the age of 11. Used to roll newspapers and smoke them, then I moved to tally ho's with dried grass clippings, and eventually stole smokes off my dad.

Smoked a pack a day for around 16 years till I tried vaping (ego-c with ce4 Clearo) and that was it! Haven't had a smoke since that day
    Crisscross, Pleski, Fatman and 9 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Well, these feel good stories make me want to post mine. I was a pack a day smoker from 16 YO, through to just before my 37th birthday, since then (2 years ago) I had dropped to about half that consumption. I have tried patches, gum and Champix, but being stoopid, have picked up the smokes again and again. Having sourced a Ego starter kit, I've been free of smokes for a month now, but I've been supporting the black market by purchasing pre-mixed nic juice at markets until my nic juice arrives from OS.... HURRY UP AUST POST ! I've stopped the nasty cough, and am feeling better muchly. My aim is to gradually reduce the nic untill I'm vaping 0mg. I hope that someone shows this thread to those that can influence the government. Traditional NRT did not work for me, this does. I can now reduce my Nic intake on my own terms, at a price that is doable on my budget.
    Crisscross, Old Dog, Rose and 7 others like this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

AVF Regular

Quit Tales Collective !

Smoked a pack of Benson and Hedges smooth from the age of 15 for 13 years.
    Tried everything and failed within weeks. A mate got me a whole heap of patches for free 4 months ago and thought I'd give it another go. At the same time the missus bought me a 'joystick' which is an automatic ecig with no nic. I thought it was cool and googled them.

Here I am now. 4 months ciggie free and feeling awesome
    Crisscross, Pleski, Fatman and 6 others like this.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast