Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: FDA Misses Deadline for E-Cig Regulations

AVF Regular

FDA Misses Deadline for E-Cig Regulations

"(FDA) has announced that it will not meet its midnight deadline to submit proposed tobacco regulations. The FDA will also miss deadlines to publish a consumer-friendly list of dangerous chemicals found in electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes or e-cigs) and testing / reporting requirements for tobacco ingredients and additives."

FDA Misses Deadline for E-Cig Regulations

I''m taking this as a good sign...?
    5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions

AVF Regular
    for now - ie today....

AVF Regular
    I wonder if they struggled to find enough bad things to publish that could be backed up with actual research and withstand scrutiny.

Given the history of being overturned previously I would imagine they'd be making damn sure to dot all the i's and cross all the t's.
    Old Dog and avtek like this.

AVF Regular
    I don't like this bit

To recap another recent post, the following statements from the FDA’s website provide us with insight as to the FDA’s opinion regarding the highly unregulated e-cigarette industry:

As the safety and efficacy of e-cigs have not been fully studied, consumers of e-cigarette products currently have no way of knowing whether e-cigarettes are safe for their intended use, how much nicotine or other potentially harmful chemicals are being inhaled during use, or if there are any benefits associated with using these products.
    Currently, e-cigarettes that are marketed for therapeutic purposes are regulated by the FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER). The FDA Center for Tobacco Products (CTP) . . . intends to regulate other nicotine-containing products, including electronic cigarette products that do not make a therapeutic claim, in the future.
    avtek likes this.

AVF Regular
    This doesn't sound good:
    "Given the growth of the e-cigarette consumer base and the amount of pressure the FDA is receiving from state legislatures demanding regulation, e-cigarette regulations are imminent and those engaged in the industry should prepare for dramatic changes in the way they conduct their operations."

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    Even though all that is USA based it can affect the gummint stance here. One of the reasons I haven't opened a B&M store as yet.
    margyb and necro like this.

My wife always forgives me when she is wrong.

AVF Regular
    I wonder how long we will have to wait now for their regs ?

It is sure to affect us if they ban internet sales
    Jessamine likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by margyb View Post

It is sure to affect us if they ban internet sales
    its a funny one with internet sales - so far the only reasons ive come across for banning internet sales are

a/ to make sure kids arent ordering juice and
    b/ to tax it

but i really dont understand - all the usa sites ive been to add tax for different states - and surely they can see the age of the credit card holder - banning internet sales just doesnt make any sense so far for me

You're on the ball avtek !

Nothing on Twitter yet ........ they must all be asleep over there still .......don't they know there's a war on !!!

I saw this yesterday, which sounds encouraging .......................

WASHINGTON -- On Oct. 28, the Food and Drug Law Institute (FDLI) hosted a conference on FDA regulation of tobacco, featuring a number of industry speakers including director of the FDA's Center for Tobacco Products (CTP), Mitch Zeller. According to Wells Fargo Securities analyst Bonnie Herzog, Zeller and other speakers echoed the sentiments famously expressed by Professor Michael Russell that "people smoke for nicotine, but they die from tar."

"The common theme throughout the day was the general agreement among various constituents that it's not the nicotine that harms (or) kills smokers, it's the combustion (and) delivery," Herzog wrote in a research note about the conference. "In fact, combustible cigarettes were demonized and a common goal to migrate smokers from combustible cigarettes to electronic cigarettes was evident."

In terms of the FDA's proposed electronic cigarette deeming regulations--which are currently being reviewed by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB)--Zeller emphasized that the agency needs to consider "population-level impact" as opposed to "individual impact." While there may be some "adverse" effects initially (such as dual-usage), Zeller is looking at the overall picture of improving public health for the long-term by getting the population to move away from combustible cigarettes.
    Regulatory Stars Aligning for E-Cigs? | CSPnet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast