Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Nicotine and Tobacco addiction are different.

AVF Regular

Nicotine and Tobacco addiction are different.

Monoamine Oxidase Inhibition Dramatically Increases the Motivation to Self-Administer Nicotine in Rats

Quoting the abstract for you here:
    Nicotine is the major neuroactive compound of tobacco, which has, by itself, weak reinforcing properties. It is known that levels of the enzymes monoamine oxidase A (MAO-A) and MAO-B are reduced in the platelets and brains of smokers and that substances, other than nicotine, present in tobacco smoke have MAO-inhibitory activities. Here, we report that inhibition of MAO dramatically and specifically increases the motivation to self-administer nicotine in rats. These effects were more prominent in rats selected for high responsiveness to novelty than in rats with low responsiveness to novelty. The results suggest that the inhibition of MAO activity by compounds present in tobacco smoke may combine with nicotine to produce the intense reinforcing properties of cigarette smoking that lead to addiction.
    Now I know this is a little old, but it's a very relevant piece of research. I think we may need a health and science subforum.

I am quite tired of hearing that there is no long term or unbiased nicotine studies. This study clearly shows why as smokers we're total addicts. The constant desire to smoke, the need to make sure you had enough cigarettes, smoking when and where you know you shouldn't because the urge was so great.
    How many of us are guilty of ducking out of work or class for a quick smoko under the guise of having to do something else? How many of us have been crazy sick, and still went out for a ciggie even though our lungs were full of influenza goop?

Virtually none of those things happen to me now with vaping. Nicotine alone isn't what makes us slaves to tobacco.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

AVF Regular
    nice one Rynxa,

when I first read your post I thought "high responsiveness to novelty" was going to be about being addicted to all the shiny Mods !

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

We need more independent clinical trials .......

Nicotine Clinical Trials: Why Aren't There Any?

This being the case, we must now ask why a trial has not been published that looked specifically at nicotine's abuse liability and dependence potential. And now we know the answer:

Despite the subjects (who were all non-smokers and mostly never-smokers) being administered 15mg* of pure nicotine daily, for 6 months, not one single subject had any withdrawal symptoms or continued to use nicotine.

* This is equivalent to smoking about 18 tobacco cigarettes, as a cigarette delivers 0.8mg nicotine on average, in the US and UK, @2013

"There was no withdrawal syndrome and no subjects continued to use nicotine products. Thus, in this nonsmoking population, there was no evidence for abuse liability of transdermal nicotine. Only nonsmokers were utilized for this study to simplify dose-ranging. As former smoking status was not a focus of this study and the number of former smokers was small, an analysis of prior smoking status and efficacy was not performed."
    nicotine-clinical-trials-why-aren-t-there-any

I realised this exact same thing less than a year into vaping: How long can you go without a vape?

Isn't this the same reason why they're now searching for this mystery chemical in tobacco smoke? : 400 Tobacco Control troughers gather to find the magical ingredient

How corrupt are ecig opponents not to acknowledge this. Not even a tweet about it.

The evidence is clear as day. Nicotine is most likely just as, if not, less addictive than caffeine.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    I realised this exact same thing less than a year into vaping: How long can you go without a vape?

Isn't this the same reason why they're now searching for this mystery chemical in tobacco smoke? : 400 Tobacco Control troughers gather to find the magical ingredient

How corrupt are ecig opponents not to acknowledge this. Not even a tweet about it.

The evidence is clear as day. Nicotine is most likely just as, if not, less addictive than caffeine.
    Ayup. It was one of the first things I noticed after about 6mo of vaping. My world didn't revolve around my vape gear, where as it did revolve around cigarettes when I was smoking. When I don't vape for a while or can't, I get the same frumpy cranky feelings as when I don't get enough coffee or tea. God help anyone who was around me when I ran out of cigarettes before I quit... it would get ugly fast.

Thank you for those links, Mav. Looks like I have some digging and writing to do this week.
    Words are fun.
    Steam powered and smoke free since January 2013.
    Addiction is bad, let me explain it to you after I finish this coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynxa View Post
    Monoamine Oxidase Inhibition Dramatically Increases the Motivation to Self-Administer Nicotine in Rats

Quoting the abstract for you here:

Now I know this is a little old, but it's a very relevant piece of research. I think we may need a health and science subforum.

I am quite tired of hearing that there is no long term or unbiased nicotine studies. This study clearly shows why as smokers we're total addicts. The constant desire to smoke, the need to make sure you had enough cigarettes, smoking when and where you know you shouldn't because the urge was so great.
    How many of us are guilty of ducking out of work or class for a quick smoko under the guise of having to do something else? How many of us have been crazy sick, and still went out for a ciggie even though our lungs were full of influenza goop?

Virtually none of those things happen to me now with vaping. Nicotine alone isn't what makes us slaves to tobacco.
    This is something that I have found as well Rynxa, and it is a very significant change for me. There is a vast psychological shift that I have found, in how I think about vaping, compared to smoking. In fact, I find that I don't think about vaping at all for long periods of time, where as I constantly thought about smoking, (I'm talking about the actual act of vaping, rather than intellectual interest, or looking at vape gear, thinking about recipes, etc). I'm going to keep a bit of a diary of what I'm experiencing just to track the changes in myself, (as I can't do this in any detail for anyone else), and see if these changes continue at the rate I'm currently experiencing, or if they eventually plateau, or if I find I'm thinking about the act of vaping more as time goes on.

I actively used to avoid visiting non-smoking friends and family, (for more than an hour or so), because of the fact that I could not smoke, and would leave as soon as possible. I also found that I used to think about smoking during any visit, virtually continually, which meant that this was my focus, rather than enjoying the company of the people I was with.

I don't use other social situations as any sort of guide to changes, as I always felt extremely uncomfortable in situations where I do not know the people well, so the feelings of wanting to escape had more to do with anxiety about the social situation rather than a desire to smoke.

I now find this doesn't happen to anywhere near the same degree with vaping. I visited my Daughter yesterday and didn't vape for 3 hours, (not because I couldn't, she doesn't mind the vaping, but because I forgot my PV), and found that I didn't actually think about vaping at all during that time. This never happened while smoking.

Anyhoo, I would love to hear about other's experiences, it is extremely interesting from a psychological stand point, as much as an view on how addictive smoking is compared to vaping.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    I'm noticing the same thing too
    The addiction to vaping is nowhere near as strong as the addiction I had to cigarettes
    I feel I'm actually living my life now, before it was like the cigarettes were in charge and everything else I just fit in around it.

I couldn't see this however until I stopped smoking cigarettes
    Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 02-11-13 at 12:47 PM.

8 months into my vaping journey I've experienced the same thing. My cravings are nowhere near as intense as when i was smoking or in my early days of vaping. Used to be a cigarette (or a vape) was my first thought in the morning, now I almost have to remind myself to grab my gear before i run out the door!

Now, how do I add that to my vaping story .... I don't cough any more, I no longer stink of smoke, and my MAOs are completely uninhibited!
    GirlyPantz and spud like this.
    I hold in my hand a powerful device. It can stop a smoker in one breath.

AVF Regular
    I'm going to have to advocate for the devil again.

My boss is an ex-smoker who used the lozenges to help her quit. That was almost two years ago and she says she's totally dependent on the lozenges now. It's funny to see her reach for them and pop one in her mouth when team meetings get a bit heated, or just at regular two hourly intervals. They are always on her desk within reach, and she keeps a pack in her handbag, in the car, etc.

She ran out recently and looked quite freaked out when she realised. Dropped everything and went straight down to Coles to get some!

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    I'm going to have to advocate for the devil again.

My boss is an ex-smoker who used the lozenges to help her quit. That was almost two years ago and she says she's totally dependent on the lozenges now. It's funny to see her reach for them and pop one in her mouth when team meetings get a bit heated, or just at regular two hourly intervals. They are always on her desk within reach, and she keeps a pack in her handbag, in the car, etc.

She ran out recently and looked quite freaked out when she realised. Dropped everything and went straight down to Coles to get some!
    This is interesting, is it the nicotine in the lozenges that she is addicted too? Or is it, as with smoking, the psychological dependence on the action of sucking a lozenge? If the lozenges had no nicotine in them, would she still perform the habit and receive the same perceived benefit?

My smokes were some what of a security blanket for me, and a means of escape and avoidance, when situations became to intense, I don't find the same thing with the PV, despite the fact, or maybe regardless of the fact, that both were delivery methods for nicotine.

Definitely something worth looking into.
    GirlyPantz and BlackDog like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast