Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Going in circles - how useless our health departments are

As many of you know, I have been making phone calls and writing many letters both from myself on on others behalf, to try and clarify the legal status of nicotine solutiuon for personal usage. Today takes the cake...

First I called the TGA. I wanted to find out more about the Personal Import Scheme.

The 1800 number on their web site directed to the wrong people. They couldn't help at all with issues regarding importation, so they gave me this number: (02) 6232 8101.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say they've fielded a lot of phone calls about this and are getting sick on it. The women I spoke to was downright rude, and we kept going around in circles. Why?

Personal Import Scheme - "how individuals can import unapproved therapeutic goods"

The TGA refused to acknowledge nic juice as a therapeutic product. She kept telling me that a product needed to go through the approval process to be considered therapeutic. I would then point out that if a product was on the register, it would be APPROVED and the scheme would not be required. She's repeat the same statements.

She also advised that states are treating nic juice as S7. When I pointed out the Scheduling Interim Decision that it would be S4 for therapeutic use, she would repeat the same statement above.

I asked point blank what was the point of the Scheme based on her statements? She just repeated herself again. I pointed out the ComLaw didn't require "recognition" based on these two points:

"medicine" means: (a) therapeutic goods (other than biologicals) that are represented to achieve, or are likely to achieve, their principal intended action by pharmacological, chemical, immunological or metabolic means in or on the body of a human”

and

"therapeutic goods" means goods: (a) that are represented in any way to be, or that are, whether because of the way in which the goods are presented or for any other reason, likely to be taken to be: (i) for therapeutic use”

She just repeated herself again. Totally useless.

So I thought I'd try the Victoria Drugs and Poisons Regulation (1300 364 545). The person I was meant to speak to was Matthew McCrone, but he was unavailable. I got Megan Smith - the person I had already had email and letter correspondence with.

Guess what she said? The same canned statements over and over again.

It's all down to money. If somebody doesn't pony up the cash to get on the register, then Australia won't acknowledge it's therapeutic use.

Again I asked point blank about the Personal Import Scheme. What was the point in having a program to get access to unapproved goods, if a product isn't considered therapeutic until it's approved?!?

She basically told me she had answered all my questions (without having answered a single one) and that I was free to find somebody to further discuss the law with, but she would not tell me who - and then hung up on me.

I'm now waiting on a call back from both the Health Ministers Office and Matthew McCrone so I can try and get somebody who actually comprehends questions, and so I can lodge a formal complaint about Megan Smith.

F#@King ridiculous...

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    Can we pass the hat around and gather donations to get it on the register?
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Quality Australian Made eJuice: Bunyip Vapes

I've already thought about that. The problem is two-fold:
    1. It costs over $10k to get an initial listing. And that doesn't even guarantee approval.
    2. You need to lodge every, single, possible, option. This means a seperate application for 12mg, 18mg, 48mg, etc. Given the strict rules over toxicity, you can bet the house they wouldn't allow for, say, just 100mg unflavored to be approved for personal mixing, since 100mg is so much more "dangerous" than existing NRTs (that max out at 10mg for spray and inhalers).

The scheduling commitee also currently states that nicotine absorbtion from vaporising is via the lungs. Some evidence suggests this is not the case, and that the majortiy of absorbition is the upper respirtatory system (ocumusacol-sp?) but there isn't enough solid evidence yet to say this 100%.

AVF Regular
    Where the spectre of Bjelke-Petersen still looms...A Banana Republic inside a Banana Republic
    1000 vapers all give $10 and have a crack at 36 or 48 mg?
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Sik
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothingexpert View Post
    1000 vapers all give $10 and have a crack at 36 or 48 mg?
    Going by the fact that only a dozen of us even bothered signing up to aussie ash or ATACA which doesn't cost a thing. it would be more like 10 of us stamping up a grand each. not gonna happen

You reap what you sow and in this case no one is interested enough.
    Current Vape: Variable Wattage mod, EPM Boge tanks, Something Fruity

AVF Regular
    Point taken. Wishful thinking I guess.

nev
    I received a letter from the deputy premier of WA Minster for Health; Tourism, Dr Kim Hames, today in response to the letter sent via soundasleep.

Mostly it is blah blah blah stating it is a Schedule 7 poison and personal importation is not safe and not permissible in WA, can kill children etc, encouraging me to access various quit smoking services. So no different from the responses other people have received.

And if 10 of us did so what's the possible return?
    It's not like you'd have a monopoly on the market, people will still just import for themselves considering it would still likely be the cheapest method of obtaining nic juice.

Not just that but you'd need more cash to setup the business, import supplies, hire personnel, etc etc.

Cheers
    Daily Setup: Modded 3400mah FDV iStick, Orchid v4 RTA
    Daily Juice: Vaporeyes - Lazer Lombardi
    In the mail: Vapor Flask DNA40

Del
    AussieVapers approved Vendor
    The way I read into it is whomever pays the $$ is not necessarily granted exclusivity. Once the product is approved then its open slather, so this will mean that others can ride on the coat tails of the person or persons footing the bill.
    The original and the best !

you are correct Del.
    http://www.ecigz.com.au
    Ecigz Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast