Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Smoking to be banned in QLD jails

AVF Regular

Smoking to be banned in QLD jails

This will be enforced come May 2014,inmates have been given the option of nicabate so should go smoothly(not).according to the report this will save millions of dollars a year in smoke related illness each year that prisons need to fork out.I bet prison guards will be trying to get vaping allowed in prisons as right now they are carping them selves for the fall out on this.

AVF Regular
    so prisoners won't be able to buy there own smokes but boat ppl in detention centers are still allowed to have there free cigarettes that we the tax payers buy for them
    margyb, Cumulonimbus and maggie like this.

aussie squonk box - the punisher - sig 100 watt - tesla series modded - vampire 26650 - modded chana - kamry 200 watt
    my etsy DEATHware

AVF Regular
    this will save millions of dollars a year in smoke related illness
    What smoking related illness? Millions of dollars on what? I don't understand...my two siblings and I grew up in a house where both parents smoked constantly. Nobody was ill, ever. What are they on about?
    necro likes this.

AVF Regular
    this is fkd, not even chopeman agrees with this, some vaping in jails stuff happening in US

AVF Regular
    Todd, have you got a link.

I'm still trying to work out what these illnesses are. And how much is the nicobate gonna cost the system, that's got to eat into the 'millions of dollars' saved on smoking related illnesses...or are they getting a nice discount on them?

Nicobate and other NRT have had extensive trials that repeatedly conclude that they are no more than 5% effective for smoking cessation, and they think that's good enough?

And still, they keep saying that e-cigs don't have a proven success rate for cessation....what, like their very successful 5%?
    Last edited by JenJ; 03-11-13 at 08:25 PM.

AVF Regular
    batten down the hatches. it's gonna get mighty damned stormy, me thinks

AVF Regular
    Sorry no link it was just on 7 news tonight,the money thing is an absolute crock

AVF Regular
    LOL!!!
    The prison guards' union in Queensland fears outlawing tobacco in the state's jails could cause dangerous riots on the inside.
    No f*ckin kidding!

"This is about public health. This is about making sure that we can reduce what is a huge and overwhelming number of prisoners smoke."
    Just cuz you can eh?.... they are locked up and have zero choice in the matter. Nice 'Brave New World' move.

Queensland announces plans to ban smoking in all jails from May 2014 - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

AVF Regular
    Would hate to be a guard in Max if that gets passed. In a highly volatile population such as a prison, widespread nic withdrawal will only shorten tempers. Give them Nicabate and that will smooth it all over? Jesus some of these policy makers are dumb.

Oh well, at least Nicabate gets to line their pockets. They're the only winners in this scenario.

I'm not fat, I just ate somebody who was.

AVF Regular
    4 out of 5 prisoners smoke so hope their nicabate does a hole lot more for them than it done for me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast