Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Conflicted about some Ecig Marketing

Conflicted about some Ecig Marketing

I thought we were limiting targets to current smokers.

Are they really targeting ex-smokers, or telling current smokers that they can relieve themselves of the guilt now with this product?

your thoughts?

Last edited by mavinry4; 05-11-13 at 08:13 AM.

Retired Account
    In two minds, personally. I've got over myself in relation to the language used to describe vaping. If people are more comfortable "smoking an e-cig" than "vaping on a pv", it dosn't bother me. In fact, when asked what my gear was recently, I described it as a nicotine inhaler... "all the good stuff of smoking with bugger all of the nasties". There's nothing we can do to stop the marketing and flooding of the market with cigalikes anyway. Sadly, for a lot of people they won't work though, and it's also likely that most of those people that they don't work for, won't go looking for a gruntier alternative like most of us have.

What about it gives the impression it's marketing to never smokers? I don't get that, myself.

Ads like this will be the reason that people like that guy will get fined and continue to do so.. peeps not in the know will def struggle to see the difference
    spud and avtek like this.

AVF Regular
    Companies produce a product, then market them to make them look attractive.

So let's see what happens if their marketing is effective....people switch to vaping from smoking! So I can only see good here. Except it is a cigalike and therefore underpowered and overpriced.

It's the "enjoy smoking again" part that concerns me.

I just assumed that we were in agreement that children, non-smokers and ex-smokers were off limits.

The "enjoy smoking again" does kind of appear to be targetting ex-smokers. It's a little embarrassing, especially when the Chaptard picks up on it.

But I thought I may have misinterpreted, and that it was more of an appeal to current smokers who feel guilty everytime they light up.

In terms of white cylindrical-red LED cigalikes in general, as I've always said, I think they're stupid. Not only because the devices themselves require a lot of improvements mechanically, but because the mere appearance of them is the promotion of a competing product. It's akin to CoCa Cola selling their drink in Blue and red coloured cans.
    margyb, oogy and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    ..and i fear being overly critical of e-cig advertising sub-consciously associates vaping with tobacco use, but then I've been up most of the night with a baby that wants to play 'boo' at 4.30am
    mavinry4, Fatman, Rynxa and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Yep, to whoever will buy - target the softest market first.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

AVF Regular
    the magic word is "again" - and they end on it - it kinda hangs there after you've said it in your mind as you read it

it will appeal to both current smokers who are not enjoying their habit anymore - as well as ex smokers - who might pick it up in a time of stress instead of smoking an analogue

if they had a starburst in the top right hand corner with a big "FREE info pack" the ad would be perfect from a marketing point of view

as a vaper i hate how they use the word "smoking"!!

The biggest problem with smoking is not quitting, almost every smoker has done so at some stage, but relapsing. Better to relapse with a cigalike than a durry. Sweden has far more tobacco use than Australia, but because it is a very low harm product, it does not matter. The public health equation is that you'd need more snusers or vapers than the entire population to even approach the harm of 1% extra smoking.
    Fatman, spud and avtek like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast