Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: If regulation is inevitable, who should do it?

If regulation is inevitable, who should do it?

Hi All,
    As a newby but confirmed vaper, I've been wading my way through lots of info here and elsewhere and I'm looking for an answer I can't seem to find. It seems that there are differing opinions about what vaping should be defined as and it is even more complicated by the fact that you can do it with or without Nicotine. My question is......
    Is Regulation inevitable and if so, who should do it and what would the implications be on availability and price?

AVF Regular
    Ask an easy question Donna ?

This discussion could go for pages. My personal view ? I think regulation IS inevitable, what for that takes will depend on how the powers that be view the act of using PVs, and whether or not they choose to lump nic and non-nic juice together. I think it will all come under one topic, because they can. Because Nic is already classified as a schedule 7 chemical, PVs and Liquids will probably come under the TGA. How this is regulated will depend on the definition of Vaping - if it becomes just another NRT or not.

Without comprehensive research to assist us as vapors, I think we are not in a good position. The Government will take their lead from other countries (i.e. FDA in the US), and from what the TGA tells them. There will be other agendas at play here, that we as consumers will not know about until it is too late. Add in Big Tobacco, The TGA, and a Tax hungry garmint, and I think we are in for a world of hurt. I hope not, but......

Will be interesting for sure.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ fatman said it better
    Last edited by Altered1; 16-11-13 at 11:22 AM.
    Donna likes this.

Gaffer Tape is like The Force - it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

Without specific approval, No one has permission to quote me outside of AVF

Super Moderator
    If regulation is inevitable , then it wont really matter of who WE think should regulate it , it will be regulated , by whomever is designated by the Govt to regulate it .
    I really don't think we should consider regulation as inevitable , or indeed as even a step forward in anyway whatsoever .
    The REAL danger to vaping is the willingness of people to handover , or allow control over activities to someone else , so that they can whine about what/how that person is doing it.
    Should there be standards in place , Yes , I think there should , but those standards already exist , such as safe manufacture, clean premises, contamination assessment etc.
    To argue over regulation , implies that regulation is necessary, and it is only WHO enforces it that is the key .
    I think liquids etc SHOULD be analysed for health risk , or at the least their complete ingredients be vetted for safe ingestion/inhalation ,just like a foodstuff, once they pass that stage , then there is NO need for further regulation .
    For instance , we all KNOW junk food is bad for you if consumed solely in place of a healthy diet , but as long as the ingredients in it are fine and safe in normal use , then it isnt up to the Govt , medical practitioners, or anyone else to say "Its Deadly ... we must protect you from it "
    Regulation these days is NOT about Public Health , in the main , it is about business, and can we get sued/can we make a profit .
    It is more about Control of behaviour , than a risk assessment .

Regulation may well be inevitable , but until such time as it is actually inevitable , energy is best devoted to proving it NOT in need of the regulation they have planned .... much like the recent battles in the Eu ... Something should ONLY be regulated , if it is PROVEN to cause harm , not because we "think" it might , and can make a few bucks out of regulating it

Just my 2c
    Last edited by Fatman; 16-11-13 at 11:20 AM.
    margyb, eteach, Cath Mort and 17 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

^What The Fatman said ^
    Donna likes this.
    In constant chain vaping....Because vaping nicotine makes your mind more active.....

Super Moderator
    P.S. Booooo Donna for making me think too hard first up on a Saturday .. Bad Donna Bad Donna !!!
    margyb, Gresh11, Donna and 2 others like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

It is more about Control of behaviour , than a risk assessment .

Regulation may well be inevitable , but until such time as it is actually inevitable , energy is best devoted to proving it NOT in need of the regulation they have planned .... much like the recent battles in the Eu ... Something should ONLY be regulated , if it is PROVEN to cause harm , not because we "think" it might , and can make a few bucks out of regulating it

Just my 2c [/QUOTE]

Love your work fatman!

Edit. Fatman's words above, don't know why it didn't come up as a quote from him. Still on my L's
    Last edited by Donna; 16-11-13 at 11:42 AM.

AVF Regular
    This opens a can of worms in all directions, you also have to include chain of responsibility in this day and age.

Without a doubt there is going to be an incident where someone has a serious accident involving hardware, juice or nic. When this happens we will all know about it as the media and politicians will be all over it, the question will be asked how did this happen and who is responsible. That question will be asked by legal people and asked all the way up the chain of responsibility, if that person or entity has no professional indemnity insurance and systems and procedures in place all links in the chain will have to pay their share of compensation. This will also be a chance for politicians to shout out that this up and coming industry is out of control (that is how they will make it out to be)

Was it the goods purchased from the supplier, was it the juice, was it the nic, was it the link in the chain where the purchaser was directed to the goods or where the purchaser gained knowledge of the goods?.

When this happens this will determine the way in which vaping goes in Australia and how it will be legislated for better or for worse.

Vaping will be legislated but under which circumstances is what is a worry. This is just my 2 cents worth.

Sorry for the rambling.
    oogy and Donna like this.

AVF Regular
    I think with all the publicity that it is gaining I think it will be sooner than later, I think overall it will be a good thing as it will encourage a code of conduct through all parts of the industry and above all it will become officially legal.

AVF Regular
    to properly 'regulate' they'd have to stop imports and they'd need quite a lot of resources/money to do that. they won't do much in this country until there are more of us.
    Donna likes this.

Super Moderator
    Who would regulate it?

Certainly not the TGA, it doesn't fall under their authority as ENDS are not therapeutic ... unless, of course, the TGA insists they are (in which case it would be likened to Ford regulating Holden sales as the TGA is 100% funded by the pharmaceutical companies).

So that means it should be consumer associations or rely on industry Codes of Practice
    Fatman, spud, maggie and 1 others like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast