Like Tree21Likes
  • 12 Post By timmah
  • 5 Post By mrsgruffy
  • 1 Post By Donna
  • 2 Post By petepunter
  • 1 Post By timmah

Thread: Big Pharma, not tobacco companies, wages war on electronic cigarettes

Big Pharma, not tobacco companies, wages war on electronic cigarettes

The pharmaceutical companies show their true colours. Profits - not health, is their goal.

This is why we need a strong organisation.

Big Pharma, not tobacco companies, wages war on electronic cigarettes | Mobile Washington Examiner

Super Moderator
    what can I say but grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Big P grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!! *smacks head against wall*

Great article. Good to see a reporter reflect on the true state of the political agenda in regard to the e cigarette industry and regulation.

Another great article and again the comments are worth reading...
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...

I think we've known it wasn't Big Tobacco since Lorillard bought Blu. But it's nice to actually read some reason from the mainstream...

Retired Account
    There will be really big opposition to the ecig industry in Australia, because our government has become the cash cow of the pharmaceutical companies selling NRT products.
    You can get a prescription for NRT from your GP.
    What does that actually mean?
    It means that the most you'll pay for a month's worth of prescription NRT without a concession card is $33.30 - and often much less than this. Once you hit the safetynet for pharmaceuticals (I think for a family, it's about $1500 p.a., the cost per prescription reduces to $5.40).
    However the real money starts pouring in from people who have a pbs concession card, like a health care card or a pensioner card when the same month's worth of NRT will cost the 'patient' $5.40.
    The government picks up the rest of the bill through our PBS(pharmaceutical benefits scheme).

Of course, that's the least harmful of their products. The same applies to the medications they claim helps people quit, which actually cost over $100 per prescription (champix) if the patient were paying the unsubsidised price. I am astounded that important drugs to treat cancer, cystic fibrosis and multiple sclerosis (which are proven to work and extend life!) remain unsubsidised while drugs like champix with 1000s of reports of adverse events every year remain subsidised.
    margyb, gtadmin, tally-ho and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsgruffy View Post
    There will be really big opposition to the ecig industry in Australia, because our government has become the cash cow of the pharmaceutical companies selling NRT products.
    You can get a prescription for NRT from your GP.
    What does that actually mean?
    It means that the most you'll pay for a month's worth of prescription NRT without a concession card is $33.30 - and often much less than this. Once you hit the safetynet for pharmaceuticals (I think for a family, it's about $1500 p.a., the cost per prescription reduces to $5.40).
    However the real money starts pouring in from people who have a pbs concession card, like a health care card or a pensioner card when the same month's worth of NRT will cost the 'patient' $5.40.
    The government picks up the rest of the bill through our PBS(pharmaceutical benefits scheme).

Of course, that's the least harmful of their products. The same applies to the medications they claim helps people quit, which actually cost over $100 per prescription (champix) if the patient were paying the unsubsidised price. I am astounded that important drugs to treat cancer, cystic fibrosis and multiple sclerosis (which are proven to work and extend life!) remain unsubsidised while drugs like champix with 1000s of reports of adverse events every year remain subsidised.
    I agree with you Mrs G. On the surface Pharma costs the govt money but Tobacco taxes are a big fat cash cow.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the PBS funding only applies for 3 months of treatment in any one year. That means that if vaping goes down the pharma road and you rely on the PBS, you can only use it as a method to stop rather than switch.
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    Big Pharma are the scum of the earth and have been for years these are the same people that created heroin to curb out opiate addiction and using a syringe instead of ingesting. Ended up being twice as bad and twice as potent and addictive.
    spud and timmah like this.

Quote Originally Posted by petepunter View Post
    Big Pharma are the scum of the earth and have been for years these are the same people that created heroin to curb out opiate addiction and using a syringe instead of ingesting. Ended up being twice as bad and twice as potent and addictive.
    Let's say big pharma manage to lobby government to make e-cigs a medical product.

I'm wondering if there will be class action from people like us in the future due to the poor product availability and efficacy of their products. They have to know their products suck and that it is in their interest to get people back to smoking cigarettes (Cancer meds, emphysema etc).

They might be the new big tobacco in that sense.
    spud likes this.

There are numerous concerted efforts out there to keep individuals off narcotics. That extends to pharmaceuticals also, as some companies want to keep people off generic narcotics. The largest prescription companies, alias Big Pharma are issuing narcotic coupons to keep people using brand drugs that have gone off-patent.