Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: HOW VERY DARE THEY?? Restriction of Trade Leading up to Tax Rise

  1. #1
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    5,301

    HOW VERY DARE THEY?? Restriction of Trade Leading up to Tax Rise

    I'm spitting chips.
    It's one thing to be complying with all the bullshit around tobacco sales, to constantly witness sanctioned smoker-bashing.
    It's quite another to pineapplepineapplepineapplepineapple with legitimate trade without notice or consideration to retailers, wholesalers, manufacturers and end-users, while in the act of gouging and imposing fascist restrictions to maximise income from the latest tax grab.

    I'm so angry that I printed this and posted it all through the store:

    Due to the Federal Government’s extra 12% TAX on tobacco products from December 1st, and their actively RESTRICTING SUPPLY UNTIL THEN, many popular brands will be either in very short supply or unavailable. Wholesalers have had their supply grossly cut for this reason, FORCING THEM TO RATION OUT SUPPLIES TO RETAILERS.

    THE GOVERNMENT HAS DELIBERATELY ENSURED THAT SUPPLIERS, RETAILERS AND USERS ARE UNABLE TO STOCK UP BEFORE THE PRICE RISE.
    THIS IS A DELIBERATE RESTRICTION OF TRADE IMPOSED BY THE GOVERNMENT.

    Regardless of one’s views on smoking, such restriction of trade (which has nothing to do with any existing legal restrictions), in ANY product, for the sole purpose of a TAX GRAB is outrageous, and draconian

    Arseholes.
    Noe, margyb, gtadmin and 20 others like this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Sth East
    Posts
    1,686
    That's a disgrace. Clearly restraint of trade which is illegal under Australian Law

    I hate to say it again. I know I harp on about it, but Government will regulate ecigs as well because they want the tax $$$$$ and it won't be 10% GST on imports.
    essiemessy, necro and maggie like this.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Esperance Western Australia
    Posts
    3,627
    Quote Originally Posted by essiemessy View Post
    I'm spitting chips.
    It's one thing to be complying with all the bullshit around tobacco sales, to constantly witness sanctioned smoker-bashing.
    It's quite another to pineapplepineapplepineapplepineapple with legitimate trade without notice or consideration to retailers, wholesalers, manufacturers and end-users, while in the act of gouging and imposing fascist restrictions to maximise income from the latest tax grab.

    I'm so angry that I printed this and posted it all through the store:

    Due to the Federal Government’s extra 12% TAX on tobacco products from December 1st, and their actively RESTRICTING SUPPLY UNTIL THEN, many popular brands will be either in very short supply or unavailable. Wholesalers have had their supply grossly cut for this reason, FORCING THEM TO RATION OUT SUPPLIES TO RETAILERS.

    THE GOVERNMENT HAS DELIBERATELY ENSURED THAT SUPPLIERS, RETAILERS AND USERS ARE UNABLE TO STOCK UP BEFORE THE PRICE RISE.
    THIS IS A DELIBERATE RESTRICTION OF TRADE IMPOSED BY THE GOVERNMENT.

    Regardless of one’s views on smoking, such restriction of trade (which has nothing to do with any existing legal restrictions), in ANY product, for the sole purpose of a TAX GRAB is outrageous, and draconian

    Arseholes.
    Yep, and they will get away with it because they can. All the ANTZ will be rubbing their hands together at the thought of smokers suffering, (they get pleasure from the suffering of others), and congratulating the government on their "hard line against smokers". They are blind to the hypocrisy of governments and their own hypocrisy.

    Non-smokers will not care either, to them its all good, punish the smokers, (they don't smoke so they don't care), and pretend that these measures don't mean that the precedent is set for tax grabs on other things (and people), that the government deems "unhealthy".
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.






    STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Esperance Western Australia
    Posts
    3,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    That's a disgrace. Clearly restraint of trade which is illegal under Australian Law

    I hate to say it again. I know I harp on about it, but Government will regulate ecigs as well because they want the tax $$$$$ and it won't be 10% GST on imports.
    Its not that easy Donna, they have to deal with more than one product with PVs, juice, etc, in regards to vaping. For example, the battery technology used in PV's is the same as that used in torches, and some other battery operated devices, they cannot tax one without taxing all the others, and that is not going to happen. With Juice the only thing they can conceivably tax, (under our current laws), is nicotine, and as I've said before, nicotine is a small component of the overall juice mix, so the tax will not add greatly to the cost, (that is assuming they legalise the sale of nicotine in Australia). The other ingredients are used by many other industries, that would not be silent about a huge tax hike.

    Tobacco is not used by other industries, and cigarettes, and rolling/pipe tobacco, are easy to isolate and tax. Its just not that simple with vape gear.

    Then there is also the idea that they will be placing an unnecessary tax on something that is increasingly being seen by the public, (despite the negative press), as a tool for harm minimisation, a safer alternative to tobacco, and that will not sit well with the general public, particularly those that have bought the whole anti-smoker line.

    We need to consider all factors and not simply fall into fear mode, in regards to government regulation of e-cigs.
    Noe, essiemessy, Cath Mort and 3 others like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.






    STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

  5. #5
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NW Sydney
    Posts
    992
    Bastards. State-sanctioned profiteering. Smoking no longer appeals to me in the slightest but FFS smokers are people, citizens and taxpayers, they do have rights. Where does the State get the power to bend/break the laws as it sees fit?

    Wouldn't surprise me if we see Operation Chop-Chop making headlines as police carry out a series of dawn raids all over Australia to clamp down on the tobacco black market. What better time for them to strike?



    I'm not fat, I just ate somebody who was.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NANNY STATE W.A.
    Posts
    1,267
    While I consider what the gov is doing underhanded etc , believe it or not I can understand why they are doing it ..
    Now please do not jump down my throat here,I will just explain it from another viewpoint..or angle..
    In a previous life I worked for over ten years for a company that distributed fags for the major companies in W.A.
    Now just before every CPI price rise (6 monthly for fags) every customer that we distributed to ( big supermarkets,small corner shops,service stations,duty free shops etc) all bought up about ten to 100 times more than what they would normally order..There would be semi loads of fags heading out to the local supermarket continuously,and multiples heading off to their main warehouses..This went on right up till midnight when the new price would come in..Were these smokes sold to the public at the old price ? NO they were sold at the new price and huge profits were made in days just by stock piling the smokes..
    Also huge amounts of tax was avoided..
    Just my thoughts on possibly why they are doing it,though not fair for the average punter and I would have thought illegal ??
    Noe, essiemessy, Cath Mort and 6 others like this.
    I VAPE = I LIVE

    Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...


  7. #7
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    5,301
    Yes, it's the smoker-bullying and the restriction of trade that have me equally steamed.
    According to our supplier, they only get some ridiculous quantity of each product per weekly order. It's outrageous.
    Bloody 'fascist' should be pineappled. It's waaay more offensive to me than f.u.c.k.
    spud and Donna like this.
    Sixth Vape Year and Four Years Sans Durry.

  8. #8
    AVF Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sydney (vaping since Nov 2011)
    Posts
    2,144
    Reminds me of how they changed the duty free laws, only 50 cigs allowed in now with some excuse about protecting the local market or something.

    They do this sh!t because they can, like bully-boy extortionists.
    Olfella, BlackDog, steve.c and 1 others like this.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Sth East
    Posts
    1,686
    Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    Its not that easy Donna, they have to deal with more than one product with PVs, juice, etc, in regards to vaping. For example, the battery technology used in PV's is the same as that used in torches, and some other battery operated devices, they cannot tax one without taxing all the others, and that is not going to happen. With Juice the only thing they can conceivably tax, (under our current laws), is nicotine, and as I've said before, nicotine is a small component of the overall juice mix, so the tax will not add greatly to the cost, (that is assuming they legalise the sale of nicotine in Australia). The other ingredients are used by many other industries, that would not be silent about a huge tax hike.

    Tobacco is not used by other industries, and cigarettes, and rolling/pipe tobacco, are easy to isolate and tax. Its just not that simple with vape gear.

    Then there is also the idea that they will be placing an unnecessary tax on something that is increasingly being seen by the public, (despite the negative press), as a tool for harm minimisation, a safer alternative to tobacco, and that will not sit well with the general public, particularly those that have bought the whole anti-smoker line.

    We need to consider all factors and not simply fall into fear mode, in regards to government regulation of e-cigs.
    I hope you are right spud. I don't want to come across as fear mongering at all.

    I know though that myself and many others never rolled their own cigarettes or purchased chop chop when they were smokers. The vast majority of current smokers also purchase BT's cigarettes in packets prescribed by Government and pay the huge taxes. Being a Vaper now, I am used to buyinig from five different vendors and waiting for snail mail etc. But, will the vast majority of vapers in the future do that.

    IMO, all Government needs to do is Regulate to tax. They won't be worried about batteries pg/vg or flavourings in isolation but nicotine which is what most are addicted to will be the key. It is the ongoing addiction and therefore repeat sales that will be taxed heavily if I am right. Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that the only reason we can buy nicotine now is that there is a loophole in the legislation that was never intended for vapers but which we rely upon. This loophole could be changed at any time.

    An analogy about how they could tax would be GST.
    If I make a banana cake and buy the flour, sugar, eggs, bananas and baking powder, I don't pay GST on any of it.
    If I buy a packet mix that requires I add 2 eggs, I pay GST on the packet mix and no GST on the eggs.
    If my local deli buys all the ingredients and makes a cake and sells me a piece, I pay GST.

    I do hope you are also right about the public perception of vaping and harm minimisation as having an influence on Government. It makes alot of sense. The question is then, if smoking rates keep dropping and vaping rates keep increasing, where is Government going to get the money to replace the lost revenue if not from Vapers.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Adelaide SA (west)
    Posts
    2,071
    Yes well, I'm sure I'm not the only vaper to have ensured a good supply of nic to get ahead of any ban or extra tax which may be imposed on us ...
    Noe, spud, Donna and 1 others like this.

 

 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.4
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
All times are GMT +11. The time now is 08:21 AM.