Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: $1000 GST free limit

AVF Regular

$1000 GST free limit

Just a heads up that the $1000 GST free limit for overseas purchases are under fire and will likely be lowered to at least half that in the near future.
    http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/victo...-1226768152950
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

I'm sure alot of people will be up in arms about this but think about it guys, why should Aussie businesses be at a disadvantage. It's not just about vaping it's about everything.

If by taxing imports the Government gets 10% GST and our parcels are held up, maybe if we can buy it locally we will. Good for Aussie businesses, good for the people of Australia. Lets hope though that Government doesn't spend more administering it than it collects.

One thing I would say though is that when a parcel can get to me quicker from China via DHL than it can from Austrlia via Australia Post, there is a definite disincentive to buy locally. Maybe that's the system that needs an overhaul.
    Tash and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    It will have an effect businesses too Donna. A lot of businesses use the threshold to avoid paying GST on imported goods. It would be easy to misconstrue this move as protectionism, when in fact it's just another tax grab.
    Quom, oogy and spud like this.
    “Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.” -- George Washington

Super Moderator
    the government takes enough from us and now they want to do this plus they want to raise retirement to 70 and if you own your own house they want that to be considered an assist (in other words you wont get a pension) all they want to do is screw us into the ground (if they get there way) and they dont give a rats because there rich and when they retire they get paid there current salary for the rest of there lives..... anyone know a good assassin????

Small start ups and the poor trying to not to be poor will love this...

AVF Regular
    I find it 50/50.
    I do want our government to have lots of money to spend on GENUINE things.
    The large retailers will love the idea of the limit getting lowered, but I know a few smaller retailers that make multiple purchases from OS so that they can keep it at under the $1000 mark. In return, they sell the product that little but cheaper, and a little more in there pocket.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

Whrer will they spend the money? There are cutbacks almost everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by ssstahly View Post
    I find it 50/50.
    I do want our government to have lots of money to spend on GENUINE things.
    The large retailers will love the idea of the limit getting lowered, but I know a few smaller retailers that make multiple purchases from OS so that they can keep it at under the $1000 mark. In return, they sell the product that little but cheaper, and a little more in there pocket.

Super Moderator
    most likey the money they collect will go towards there annual pay rise (they wont cut that)
    margyb and spud like this.

I agree with the sentiments you all suggest. I do not advocate the tax at all, I am commenting on the inequality of Aussie businesses paying it and non Aussie businesses not paying it. There is NO even playing field for small businesses v big businesses. That's why small businesses have to be inovative and provide great service to survive. IMO though, an even playing field in regard to tax is essential. Those small Australian businesses that don't split their purchases to avoid the tax should not be at a disadvantage compared those that do. It is about an even playing field. We can disagree with a tax but can we arbitraily decide that some should pay it and some should not?
    CMB likes this.

this is thanks to businesses like Harvey Norman who have been making a noise for the $1000.00 threshold to be scrapped for a while
    retailers hope it will bring more people back into their stores.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast