Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Alcohol & Drugs Council of Australia on its knees

AVF Regular

Alcohol & Drugs Council of Australia on its knees

check it out - funding cuts from abbot places Alcohol and Other Drugs Council of Australia in administration

does anybody know how much influence this mob had over tbc and nicotine?

Alcohol and Other Drugs Council of Australia in administration after Tony Abbott cuts

I suspect smoking has it's own separate councils (there seem to be multiples with the same anti smoking aim). If you read the article they mention "The council is the peak body for organisations working to minimise the harm caused by drugs and alcohol, providing professional development, information sharing and advocacy services on an annual budget of $1.6 million from the federal Health Department.

things like harm reduction etc seems repulsive to many of the anti smoking lobby so I doubt if they are mixed up with anti smoking. I wish I could have sympathy for their cuts, but honestly I suspect it means they won't be able to put scary anti alcohol or drug ads on tv for the most part. they should give the green light to ecigs and nic juice availability and cut the deadwood out of the anti smoking lobby if they want to free up some ill spent money imo.
    spud likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by avtek View Post
    check it out - funding cuts from abbot places Alcohol and Other Drugs Council of Australia in administration

does anybody know how much influence this mob had over tbc and nicotine?

Alcohol and Other Drugs Council of Australia in administration after Tony Abbott cuts
    ATM it seems ecigs are under the Dept of health's tobacco products umbrella. Maybe the project mentioned in the below was being done by them.

Department of Health | Tobacco product regulation and disclosure
    vaping_gal likes this.

It seeems ASH is closing also

About ASH Australia: Goals and objectives
    spud and vaping_gal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    It seeems ASH is closing also

About ASH Australia: Goals and objectives
    wow, I think I'm starting to like abbot, now if he can just shut down the rest of the funding grabbing useless organisations that do bugger all except toot their own horns about how they are changing things and "helping" people , he may be a worthwhile leader after all. so long ash, rip, and take some of the other useless anti smoking groups with you. It's smokers who are doing the work and quitting, while groups like yours try to take the credit
    Last edited by vaping_gal; 30-11-13 at 02:12 PM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by vaping_gal View Post
    wow, I think I'm starting to like abbot, now if he can just shut down the rest of the funding grabbing useless organisations that do bugger all except toot their own horns about how they are changing things and "helping" people , he may be a worthwhile leader after all. so long ash, rip, and take some of the other useless anti smoking groups with you. It's smokers who are doing the work and quitting, while groups like yours try to take the credit
    Like sack simon chapman maybe

Quote Originally Posted by margyb View Post
    Like sack simon chapman maybe
    yep, he would definitely fall under the "deadwood" category imo. cut them down like weeds and throw them on the compost pile to rot LOL
    margyb and Olfella like this.

AVF Regular
    Labor health spokeswoman Catherine King described the move as ''callous'' and urged Health Minister Peter Dutton to reverse it.

''Should rates of alcohol and illicit drug use rise in the future, this decision should weigh heavily on Mr Dutton. It is one I utterly condemn,'' she said.
    That's such a funny thing to say considering that in the 46 years of their existence the rates of alcohol and illicit drug use have risen continuously those years? So why wouldn't it continue to rise without them? Totally illogical thing for her to say.
    Donna and vaping_gal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    That's such a funny thing to say considering that in the 46 years of their existence the rates of alcohol and illicit drug use have risen continuously those years? So why wouldn't it continue to rise without them? Totally illogical thing for her to say.
    It's like these people live in some sort of bubble where the truth is whatever they want it to be. I don't know how these people become so delusional and lost in their own misguided beliefs, and of course they all think they are doing something so important they are saving the world, when in reality, they are just having conventions, coming up with crap illogical approaches and taking the credit for any improvement in statistics (whether they are responsible or not). these deluded leaches need to be gone, no one will miss them and that's what they are afraid of. the health minister is just putting the blame elsewhere, so that she doesn't get held accountable if rates rise, they all just want to cover their own asses
    Last edited by vaping_gal; 30-11-13 at 04:46 PM.

AVF Regular
    Yep, they are so far removed from the drug/alcohol culture that exists in real life, sitting in their air conditioned offices making decisions that affect nothing and no one. They should try getting down and dirty with real people and see how effective they feel after that.

Addiction problems are rife in our culture, and Australia has the highest rates in the world. There is a mammoth in the room that no one wants to talk about; our society is very, very sick. No amount of pathetic civil service band aids are going to help.

There is an obvious and straight forward correlation that's been shown time and time again; the wider the gap between rich and poor in a nation, the sicker and sadder the social problems of that nation are.

Good on ya Straylya...you're the lucky winner.
    Last edited by JenJ; 30-11-13 at 04:57 PM.
    keyboardmama, oogy, spud and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast