• 4 Post By vaping_gal
  • 2 Post By JenJ
  • 3 Post By vaping_gal
  • 3 Post By Donna
  • 1 Post By Donna

Thread: Big Pharma wage war on ecigs in US - Washington Examiner

Big Pharma wage war on ecigs in US - Washington Examiner

vaping_gal likes this.

I think big pharma are going to be known the same way as big t in years to come, profit at all costs, to hell with what's right, mislead the public to suit their own agenda and protect their own profits. NOt that the public is naive enough to think big pharma are out to save lives etc or be humanitarians, they are responsible for plenty of deaths already, but I think the whole ecig issue is going to be a defining moment in history, how certain companies react, who comes out in favour and who comes out against to protect their own asses and jobs. It's shining the light on some real ugliness and hypocrisy out there among the "do gooders" and there's only so much spin people will swallow before they see right through it.

ps. johnson and johnson products are now scratched off my shopping list - **** these companies that want me to buy their products and also stand in the way of ecigs, I'm not even going to buy their crappy nrt again, been there, done that, they can shove their cotton buds etc where the sun don't shine
    Last edited by vaping_gal; 30-11-13 at 02:01 PM.
    lozza 82, Fatman, JenJ and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by vaping_gal View Post
    I think big pharma are going to be known the same way as big t in years to come, profit at all costs, to hell with what's right, mislead the public to suit their own agenda and protect their own profits. NOt that the public is naive enough to think big pharma are out to save lives etc or be humanitarians, they are responsible for plenty of deaths already, but I think the whole ecig issue is going to be a defining moment in history, how certain companies react, who comes out in favour and who comes out against to protect their own asses and jobs. It's shining the light on some real ugliness and hypocrisy out there among the "do gooders" and there's only so much spin people will swallow before they see right through it.
    Well said!!

ps. johnson and johnson products are now scratched off my shopping list - **** these companies that want me to buy their products and also stand in the way of ecigs, I'm not even going to buy their crappy nrt again, been there, done that, they can shove their cotton buds etc where the sun don't shine
    I've made a point over the last several years to simplify my life, and I refuse to be enticed into buying a load of crap to fill my cupboards and draws that I know I'll use once and forget about till I have a clean out and it goes in the bin.
    I like to challenge myself when I go to shopping to stick to the few items on a short list....don't always succeed but I'm getting better at it.

It helps to have a past where I was an impulse buyer, cuz I learnt that no matter how much I thought a particular product will be perfect, it always turned out to be useless and superfluous. So I'm rarely tempted now by their mountains of shit and promises to solve any and every issue that plagues you. I've learnt it's all bullshit.
    maggie and vaping_gal like this.

AVF Regular
    I think we've all been aware, at least since the last EU decision on e-cigs, how furiously big pharma is lobbying against vaping, and that they're the real shadow people here. I can guarantee that they've lost huge profits on nic gum and other drugs to vaping, I'm certainly one of those who switched.

Given that they're profit driven, and profit is the issue here, their actions are totally expected and within their legal rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleski View Post
    Given that they're profit driven, and profit is the issue here, their actions are totally expected and within their legal rights.
    see I don't think profit is the only issue here, the way I look at it is like this. if someone found a cure for cancer but their business thrives on keeping people sick but alive with cancer therapy so they don't want people cured, it's not profitable enough, is it legal or moral to do everything they can to keep people sick? to keep the cure away from them in the name of profits just because it's more profitable or expected of them? I don't think being in business or out to make profit gives anyone a free ride to abandon all morals to justify doing that at any cost. When people die or are seriously injured from pharmaceuticals there is often litigation, but as long as the cost of that still makes the medicine profitable it's unlikely to get pulled off the shelves IMO. But while companies within reason have that right, so do I, I have the right as a consumer to choose what I buy based on many factors, including how I feel about the company in question, and companies know this about consumers which is why they pay pr companies to keep their reputations smoothed over. It can take one bad news story etc to sink a brand because ultimately they need the consumers buying their products, that's where the profits and power come from.
    Last edited by vaping_gal; 01-12-13 at 02:52 PM.
    margyb, Donna and Rossco like this.

yes Vaping Gal and where do they draw the line? They don't.

I know a way to get rid of head lice and so do Big Pharma. They bottle it and sell it for $16.00 but I can make it for 50 cents. They would say they have to pay all their expenses R & D etc which makes sense. However in the case of ecigs/PV's, they did not develop the product or put any R & D into it so why should they profit out of peoples addiction.
    margyb, maggie and vaping_gal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    I know a way to get rid of head lice and so do Big Pharma.
    and what happens when the big pharma product which has been through all sorts of testing turns out to cause brain tumours, or blindness? even if it's only in 1% of people who use it, that may be acceptable to the company, as in, they can still make a good profit while curing millions of head lice, but for the 1% who develop a tumour, head lice starts to look preferable to that. so even if the company finds that acceptable, many individuals would rather say "no thanks" to the cure. Big pharma are so out of control IMO, they seem to get a fairly easy pass on serious side effects, drugs that don't necessarily work that well, or particularly as well as some cheap home remedies do, it's amazing what they get away with these days. I mean, how does a drug like chantix get the go ahead? even if it make one person suicidal, then it's not worth the risk to treat smoking.

AVF Regular
    Of course it's morally wrong what big pharma is doing, but that's not an argument that will win out in a system that works on profit and legality. Big pharma is a runaway train, there's no right or wrong, just wheels in motion.

I'm just saying here that we're not going to win on any moral grounds, or the potential good that can come of vaping. There's too much money and entrenched power structures involved. Big pharma will keep ploughing ahead and will win on technical and legal grounds, unless an effective counter lobby group somehow materialises out of thin air. Anyone know one?

Quote Originally Posted by vaping_gal View Post
    and what happens when the big pharma product which has been through all sorts of testing turns out to cause brain tumours, or blindness? even if it's only in 1% of people who use it, that may be acceptable to the company, as in, they can still make a good profit while curing millions of head lice, but for the 1% who develop a tumour, head lice starts to look preferable to that. so even if the company finds that acceptable, many individuals would rather say "no thanks" to the cure. Big pharma are so out of control IMO, they seem to get a fairly easy pass on serious side effects, drugs that don't necessarily work that well, or particularly as well as some cheap home remedies do, it's amazing what they get away with these days. I mean, how does a drug like chantix get the go ahead? even if it make one person suicidal, then it's not worth the risk to treat smoking.
    I agree with you.

Just as a side issue though, this head lice remedy is a natural one. They have just done the testing on it and filled in the thousands of forms to allow it to be sold with approval from the TGA. Legally (I think), you cannot sell anything purported to have a therapudic benefit without TGA approval. It was never their concept, they just had the big bucks needed to be able to take it to market.

In the case of ecigs, the market is established, the products fully developed but if Govt regulates as proposed in the EU, either BP or BT will be the only ones that can afford to take them to market.
    vaping_gal likes this.