Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Your local MP

Your local MP

I spent 10 minutes the other night, sending an email to my local state and federal member asking their position on e-cigs.

Seeing what's happening OS I thought I'd engage my local MPs in a discussion prior to the issue coming to the fore here, ask them what their view on PV is, offer my experience and point them to Doc Farsalinos research. There's probably already lobbying underway but wanted to provide to my local member a constituents view so if a fight does arise I've got prior communications to fall back on and reasoning for why I see PV being a good option.

If you want to do the same, plug your postcode into:

Members – Parliament of Australia

Click on the email button and shoot them an email. There's a twitter and facebook button as well but can't offer my opinion on those as I currently shy away from social media.
    margyb and vaping_gal like this.

AVF Regular
    Hello Apoc,

I would be interested to read what you had actually wrote your MP, and his reply when you get one. I think it's a good idea to raise a discussion about the subject and it might be a good idea if we can have a generic type letter we can send off to see how our local member stand around the nation. My bet is they have no idea..

AVF Regular
    A number of Tassie AVF members had a sit down with their member in Tas (Wilkie). Have a read through the threads on that as well as you'll also get other peoples opinions on the subject of approaching MPs and the outcome of the meeting. Also you could chat with the newly formed VAA folks re messages to convey to our fine upstanding Parliamentarians

AVF Regular
    I don't have links handy but do a search on Wilkie

AVF Regular
    Here are the links;

Anyone want to come meet Andrew Wilkie with me? Hobart 31st July
    Docs for Andrew Wilkie meeting Hobart 1st August
    Testimonials for Aussie Vapers members to take to Andrew Wilkie MP
    Andrew Wilkie meeting outcome

And a big Thank You to Jessamine, Margy and Co for setting the precedent and doing all the hard work that will make it easy for us to do the same with our local MP's.
    margyb, spud, maggie and 4 others like this.

So I now have two responses to my queries, the first from local Qld member (a brush off):

"I am writing on behalf of Dr Flegg in response to your enquiry about electronic cigarettes.

Unfortunately, Dr Flegg advises that he does not have any experience with electronic cigarettes; however, he recommends the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) as a source of information on the subject, which may be of interest to you.

The TGA can be visited online at Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA)

As the TGA is a division of a Federal Government department, Jane Prentice, Member for Ryan, would best be able to follow up any additional queries you may have. She can be contacted at jane.prentice@aph.gov.au or on (07) 3378 1599.

I hope this is of use in further informing your decision. Please do not hesitate to contact the office with any future State Government enquiries."

I'd also sent a message to Jane Prentice so thought I'd get more than a canned response, but just ended up on the mailing list:

"I would like to wish everyone in the Ryan electorate a safe and merry Christmas.

As we busy ourselves in preparation for the festive season, I encourage you to shop locally this Christmas to support our local businesses in Ryan. I would also urge you to please be safe when travelling on the roads and to take extra care around backyard pools and at the beach these summer holidays.

blah blah blah"

So all in all not terribly useful.

Might drop by her office sometime and see if I can have a 10 minute chat but not holding my breath.
    margyb likes this.

AVF Regular
    Apoc, what did your email to them say?

They are responding like you had asked them for advice on ecigs, not the other way around; you giving them information?....which they clearly need by the way!

AVF Regular
    I don't think many politicians have any idea what ecigs are
    They are human after all and probably know of someone ( friend or family) that has suffered from cigarette use or who still smokes.
    So much positive research lately but sh!thouse MP decisions

No use reading the theory if they don't get practical lessons IMO
    And face it politicians don't read research papers
    Apoc likes this.

I tailored them slightly but the base template I started with was:

"<insert appropriate salutation>

I was wondering if I could get your view as the local member on the usage of electronic cigarettes.

I've performed a fair bit of research and have quit smoking with the use of electronic cigarette, which to date has been successful. The studies I read undertaken by Dr Farsalinos appear to be the least motivated by political or financial means (E-Cigarettes and the Heart: A scientist speaks out | Ashtray Blog: An Electronic Cigarette Blog).

I've seen a lot of media reports concerning e-cigs and was interested to hear your take on the matter.

Regards"

After the initial response from Dr Flegg I responded with:

"Thank you for the response. I was more interested in the Dr Fleggís or the parties view on regulation or outright bans of these products.

Iíve looked at what TGA have online and the majority of it conflicts or contradicts with my personal experience, a lot of newly published scientific research and anecdotal evidence from other users.

Iíve already contacted Jane Prentice and am awaiting a response.

If the issue arises I would be happy to provide links to published studies, my own experience, and other vapers stories. If that would be of interest at any time in the future please let me know.

Regards"
    JenJ likes this.

AVF Regular
    You should do what a poster's grandmother would do (sorry forgot their name); remind them that they are your employees and you'd appreciate it if they showed the appropriate amount of respect with regard to your directives.

Or if you want to be more polite about it, ask them if they treat all their constituent's queries in a similarly dismissive manner. And perhaps they'd like to remember that those who voted them in are not faceless morons who don't deserve a considered response to their missives.
    Mathy and Apoc like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast