Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Should I poke the health department bear?

Should I poke the health department bear?

About 10 days ago I wrote to the Department of Health via a link on their website 'nationaldrugstrategy@health.gov.au'. I didn't receive a response so today I emailed again and asked for a delivery receipt. It bounced back from the department this time saying that the recipients could not be reached.

My email:

Could you please respond to this email. I have seen on your website the following statements:

National Tobacco Strategy 2012 - 2018
    The Australian Government has commissioned a regulatory impact assessment in relation to electronic nicotine delivery systems and smokeless tobacco products, which is due to report in early 2013.

And

Tobacco product regulation and disclosure
    Electronic nicotine delivery systems and smokeless tobacco project
    This project involves the development of a regulation impact statement on options for further regulation of electronic nicotine delivery systems (such as electronic cigarettes) and smokeless tobacco. This work is in progress. – Last updated 6/3/13

My question is; Has this regulation impact statement been completed and if so, point me to it’s findings. If it has not been completed, could you please advise when it will be completed?

So my question to you all is; Should I follow this up or would I be poking a bear that shouldn't be poked?
    Last edited by Donna; 02-12-13 at 08:38 AM. Reason: spelling

AVF Regular
    It was due to close early 2013, most likely it's been closed down as the report is complete. It is possible it was tabled in parliament but if not you may be able to put in an FOI request.

The 'enquiry form' in the link below should find its way to the relevant department.

Department of Health | Enquiries form and feedback

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    So my question to you all is; Should I follow this up or would I be poking a bear that shouldn't be poked?
    Pretty sure 2 emails would all ready constitute poking the bear so why bother asking ?????
    fifthflo and Gresh11 like this.

AVF Regular
    At a guess the email account no longer exists, any request for info would need to go through alternative channels

Quote Originally Posted by SUCKITIN View Post
    Pretty sure 2 emails would all ready constitute poking the bear so why bother asking ?????
    If you read my post properly you would realise that I said they bounced so therefore they were not received by the HD. I'm a bit of a believer in things happening for a reason. As illogical as it sounds, maybe I shouldn't be poking the bear hence the question.

Thanks also to Astro boy and lheamfrg for your advice about HOW to contact the HD. I'm pretty sure I can work that out. The question is SHOULD I?
    SUCKITIN, spud and maggie like this.

AVF Regular
    If you are after the recommendations from the report, go for it.
    spud and Donna like this.

AVF Regular
    I say yes, make the enquiry. They have an obligation to be transparent and I'd like to know where they are up to with this...I wouldn't mind seeing an outline of this 'regulatory impact assessment' myself.

It's also good to be prepared, maybe the Vapers association should have this info too?

AussieVapers approved Vendor
    Yes, by all means. The statements should be for all to see.
    Maybe they are trying to sweep them under the rug?

My wife always forgives me when she is wrong.

AVF Regular
    Alrighty.....

Who's got the popcorn?
    tugboatofdeath, hank and Donna like this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast