Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree217Likes

Thread: EU negotiations : Things don't look too good

EU negotiations : Things don't look too good

Frédérique Ries is one the Members of the European Parliament, and along with Chris Davies and Rebecca Taylor, an author of the revised EU TPD that made sure the limit was 30mg/mL.

She walked out of the Negotiations with the EU Commission/Council today not a very happy person.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/frederique.ries

Total deadlock in discussions! Council & Commission deaf to EP arguments. Council now proposes to ban the #ecig beyond 5mg nicotine/ml. An agreement on these basis is impossible.
    I get out of the trialogue tobacco. We advance on a series of points, advanced or compromised. But on the electronic cigarette that health ministers want de facto ban (rechargeable), it's downright nightmare. Under Lithuanian leadership, State in the war against the e - cig, no possible salvation in my opinion. Lithuanian Ambassador believed that I insultais him by describing his proposals for bad farce. No, it of very politely and very firmly that I refuse to condemn a sector that finally offers a real alternative to all those who are trying to quit otherwise, to reduce the risks. And that the Taliban's tobacco, sincere or less clear reasons want to penalize. It is more than a mistake, misconduct.
    And some inside information from Clive Bates:

Link: https://twitter.com/Clive_Bates/stat...38550487347200

In secret, Germany presses 5mg/ml N limit hoping to get 10-15mg/ml. Ignorant horse-trading, '000s lives at stake. Needs a proper process

The EU council and commission are officially Big Pharma's Bitches.
    Robray, margyb, MrGruffy and 5 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Oh shit !!!

what I don't understand is that they voted on all of this already, and now it's like they're backpeddling and starting again, very frustrating for eu vapers and all of those involved in this. How did they get back to a 5mg nic level again? what's the point of all the speeches and arguing about it if they just scrap the whole thing and do something else? I get that this is how it's done but it's just deceptive after all that was said and voted on already.

All of these back room negotiations are just deceiptful, this should all be done out in public so vapers and voters can see who is trying to sway and get away with what with who.
    margyb, lozza 82 and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    Sounds more like a dictatorship than a democracy
    spud and avtek like this.

AVF Regular
    I would love to know what reasons and evidence they give as a basis for such harsh restrictions?

They only have access to the same scientific studies that we and everyone does, and I can't think of anything that's been discovered that would warrant such extreme reactions?

If it really is a case of cahoots with the Pharma corporations...then that is corruption and blatant crime of the highest order and all involved should be tried and sentenced to prison for donkeys years. It warrants a massive civil reaction, civil disobedience. IE; A f*cking revolution.
    margyb, lozza 82, Rose and 2 others like this.

I'm hoping that the process is that if there is no agreement between the negotiators and the council, then nothing passes. Nothing goes back to the Parliament for another vote. It just stalls, and dies as presidency is turned over to the Greeks.

I hope this is the process.

I would much rather give Big Tobacco their packs and menthol, than have ecigs taken away from us.

Personally, I suspect it's the Big Tobacco companies telling the council to be strict on their stances, so that there is no agreement, and nothing passes. That's how RJR did it in Oklahoma- Riding on the back of the E-cig controversy to ensure that tobacco regulations attached to the leglisation doesn't pass.

The thnig I'm worried about is whether it is actually good or bad that ecigs don't become regulated yet. I was hoping for some legitimacy for ecigs.
    spud likes this.

Lol dont be silly... that would mean clarity of process and we dont want that .. the govts, coughs *keyplayers with money to gain ... know whats best for the population.. and anyways if it was all done openly, peeps might actually want a say in it and that would be an outrage! Why the very idea of it! hrumph.. people with a say and honest govt! I never heard of anything so ridiculous!

In other news I wonder how decisions like this stacking up might affect the eu long term...

Quote Originally Posted by vaping_gal View Post
    All of these back room negotiations are just deceiptful, this should all be done out in public so vapers and voters can see who is trying to sway and get away with what with who.

I remember some of the eu had concerns because they rely heavily on tobacco farming etc for their economies so I wonder if lithuania is one of those countries and how much this is affecting these decisions still. countries that have economies being propped up by tobacco sales are going to come out hard against ecigs so it's still very much about money and economics rather than being sensible or doing the right thing IMO.
    Robray, spud and Duke916 like this.

Legitamacy might have to come with a little time... in the mean time the best thing the ecig community can do is educate educate educate.. make the idea palatable and create awarness of some of the behind the scenes politicing, nmake things that the ecig community already know mainstream..not just to oh so important mps and vips etc but to the common person. That way when decisions do get made the common person is more likely to get involved and say no to some of the stupidity ad bs in general...

Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    I'm hoping that the process is that if there is no agreement between the negotiators and the council, then nothing passes. Nothing goes back to the Parliament for another vote. It just stalls, and dies as presidency is turned over to the Greeks.

I hope this is the process.

I would much rather give Big Tobacco their packs and menthol, than have ecigs taken away from us.

Personally, I suspect it's the Big Tobacco companies telling the council to be strict on their stances, so that there is no agreement, and nothing passes. That's how RJR did it in Oklahoma- Riding on the back of the E-cig controversy to ensure that tobacco regulations attached to the leglisation doesn't pass.

The thnig I'm worried about is whether it is actually good or bad that ecigs don't become regulated yet. I was hoping for some legitimacy for ecigs.

Quote Originally Posted by oogy View Post
    Lol dont be silly... that would mean clarity of process and we dont want that .. the govts, coughs *keyplayers with money to gain ... know whats best for the population.. and anyways if it was all done openly, peeps might actually want a say in it and that would be an outrage! Why the very idea of it! hrumph.. people with a say and honest govt! I never heard of anything so ridiculous!

In other news I wonder how decisions like this stacking up might affect the eu long term...
    yeah, I totally get it oogy, but you know what, sometimes the issue is so important that people need to have a say in a democracy, and that may be just voting out the ecig naysayers. In a democracy, that's about all the power or say we are going to get anyway, so there does need to be some transparency with such an important issue IMO. The whole eu tobacco directive process is becoming a farce, it stinks of corruption, stinks I tell ya!
    margyb and spud like this.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast