Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: French court rules e-cigs are tobacco products

French court rules e-cigs are tobacco products

A court in France passed a landmark ruling on Monday when it ordered an e-cigarette store to stop selling the devices after deciding that they qualified as tobacco products and should only be sold by tobacconists. The ruling is set to spark uproar among e-cigarette store owners.

The store Esmokeclean in the town of Plaisance-du-Touch near Toulouse was told by a French court on Monday that it could no longer sell e-cigarettes, in a ruling likely to spark uproar among e-cigarette store owners.

The landmark decision by the court in Toulouse is subject to appeal but could eventually see the distribution of e-cigarettes limited by a state-imposed monopoly on tobacco sales. It is just the latest development in an increasingly bitter war between electronic cigarettes - battery-powered, vapour-releasing tubes and conventional tobacco.

Link: French court rules e-cigs are tobacco products - The Local

And you thought Medicinal regulation was bad. Wait until they begin taxing ecigs at the same rates as tobacco smokes.

Relevant US related story: The Sneakiness of Anti-competitive Tobacco companies

I lost count of the number of times certain people said to stick to the "non-tobacco, non-medicine" stance, and every time they were put down for even suggesting it. I think clickbang even did an episode on it, bashing the guy who was saying it.

Oh well, reap what you sow.
    margyb, Rose, tally-ho and 4 others like this.

AVF Regular
    People will appeal this for sure. Sounds like laziness to me.
    mavinry4 likes this.

Doesn't really matter because they're HERE TO STAY. They can try that sh!t on over here in Oz as well, but as long as I'm upright I'm NOT GOING TO STOP VAPING
    Rose, timmah, vaping_gal and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    How did they arrive at that conclusion? Because ecigs contain nicotine? In that case patches and gum should only be sold at tobacconists.
    margyb, mavinry4, Gresh11 and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    How did they arrive at that conclusion? Because ecigs contain nicotine? In that case patches and gum should only be sold at tobacconists.
    There is no logic to these sorts of decisions Rose, I've stopped trying to understand the various crap they use to justify the hypocrisy of their positions. There is no rational reason to take this stand on e-cigs, so I can only conclude that there is another agenda going on. Dr F is quite right about this.
    mavinry4, lozza 82, Rose and 2 others like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    There is no logic to these sorts of decisions Rose, I've stopped trying to understand the various crap they use to justify the hypocrisy of their positions. There is no rational reason to take this stand on e-cigs, so I can only conclude that there is another agenda going on. Dr F is quite right about this.
    This is me every time I visit AVF political forum. Constantly.

margyb, lozza 82, spud and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Yeah, but we're gonna win Mav. Not before a fight but by fair means or foul, we're gonna win eventually.

margyb, mavinry4, lozza 82 and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose View Post
    This is just insanity, surely a tobacco product has to contain actual tobacco? The french can be quite fiesty too when they're unhappy so I expect they will appeal this and perhaps do a bit of rioting in the streets as well to get their message across because this will affect all ecig vendors over there. smokers have been such an easy target in the past, and I honestly think govts and antz think we will all just roll over as usual and put up with this kind of crap, it's why they think they can get away with it, smokers have been made into villains and not many people have any sympathy for them because of that, and of course vaping is just a way to get around having to quit nicotine.

It is actually interesting to see how other countries are bumbling their way through this issue though and when this is appealed and overturned, it will vindicate vaping yet again like it did in the us when the fda pulled their medicalisation crap that was overturned. The powers that be still think they can tread all over individuals rights to stop a behaviour they don't like, even if it is not harmful.

Yeah. This is a bit weird. It's just not a tobacco product except for nicotine which I assume can't be artificially synthesized.

Agree that patches and gum and inhalers should only be sold at tobacconists if this is the case.

AVF Regular
    A bit more from a French twitter site

Google Translate
    timmah and vaping_gal like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast