Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Interesting article

AussieVapers approved Vendor

Interesting article

Not sure if this has been posted before but an interesting read.
    http://publichealth.drexel.edu/~/med...ealth/ms08.pdf
    Robray, gtadmin and spud like this.

My wife always forgives me when she is wrong.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    Thanks for posting this Ozzie.

Its a relevantly new study at July / August 2013. Not seen it, but it will take all night to read!!!
    margyb likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

I like this bit
    Even when compared to workplace standards for involuntary exposures, and using several conservative (erring
    on the side of caution) assumptions, the exposures from using e-cigarettes fall well below the threshold for
    concern for compounds with known toxicity.

AVF Regular
    A great read Ozzie
    In summary below for Robray

CASAA: New study confirms that chemicals in electronic cigarettes pose minimal health risk

PHILADELPHIA, Aug. 8, 2013/PRNewwire-USNewswire -- E-cigarette users can breathe a little easier today. A study just released by Professor Igor Burstyn, Drexel University School of Public Health, confirms that chemicals in electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) pose no health concern for users or bystanders. This is the first definitive study of e-cigarette chemistry and finds that there are no health concerns based on generally accepted exposure limits.

E-cigarettes are devices that heat a nicotine solution to create an aerosol (called “vapor”) that the user inhales, similar to smoking a cigarette. They are used as a low-risk substitute for smoking by millions of former smokers, and their increasing popularity seems to account for the current downward trend in smoking in the U.S. and some other countries. While experts agree that the risks posed by e-cigarettes are significantly less than those posed by smoking, there had been some debate about how much lower the risk was.

By reviewing over 9,000 observations about the chemistry of the vapor and the liquid in e-cigarettes, Dr. Burstyn was able to determine that the levels of contaminants e-cigarette users are exposed to are insignificant, far below levels that would pose any health risk. Additionally, there is no health risk to bystanders. Proposals to ban e-cigarettes in places where smoking is banned have been based on concern there is a potential risk to bystanders, but the study shows there is no concern.

This was the first study funded by the by The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives (CASAA) Research Fund. CASAA, the leading consumer advocacy group promoting the availability and use of low-risk alternatives to smoking, is an all-volunteer, donation-funded organization. CASAA President Elaine Keller said of the study, “Over the years, there have been a lot of small studies of e-cigarette liquid and vapor, but those studies were either ignored or misinterpreted. Those that showed even the slightest contamination were used for propaganda by those who object to e-cigarettes because they look like smoking. We realized that an expert review was needed to give an unbiased explanation of the available scientific evidence for our membership and policy makers. We reached out to our membership and they enthusiastically donated to make it possible.”

CASAA Scientific Director, Carl V. Phillips, summarized the importance of the study, saying “It has always been clear that e-cigarettes were much lower risk than smoking, but there was uncertainty about whether continuing to inhale a mix of chemicals posed a measurable risk. Even those of us who have long encouraged smokers to switch are a bit surprised that even the worst-case-scenario risks are so low. This study assures us that e-cigarettes are as low risk as other smoke-free tobacco and nicotine products, like smokeless tobacco and NRT. All of these products are about 99% less harmful than smoking, and so smokers who switch to them gain basically the same health benefits as if they quit tobacco and nicotine entirely.”

Dr. Phillips added that “there has been a call for ‘regulatory science’ by the FDA. This is exactly the type of science that is needed to make good regulation and informed individual decisions: it summarizes all of the available knowledge and puts the numbers in a useful perspective.”

The study did caution that e-cigarette users are inhaling substantial quantities of the main chemicals in e-cigarette liquid (propylene glycol and glycerin). While these chemicals are not considered dangerous and the levels are far below occupational exposure limits, Dr. Burstyn did suggest ongoing monitoring to confirm that there is no risk. The chemical contaminants are of even less concern. While there have been many claims that formaldehyde, acrolein, nitrosamines, metals, and ethylene glycol found in e-cigarette vapor poses a health hazard, the study concluded that all of these have been found only at trivial levels that pose no health concern.

The study did not address the effects of nicotine because e-cigarette users are consuming it intentionally. Nicotine, when it does not involve smoking, is very low risk and has not been clearly shown to cause any disease. However, like caffeine and other common indulgences, it may cause some tiny risk of heart attack and stroke, and so e-cigarettes, along with other tobacco and nicotine products, are probably not risk-free. If there is any risk from nicotine, however, it is so low that it is similar to everyday hazards like drinking coffee or eating dessert, and is far less than the risk from smoking.
    Last edited by margyb; 13-12-13 at 07:29 PM.
    Robray, gtadmin, lozza 82 and 3 others like this.

spud and Donna like this.

I think if you take these results in isolation, vaping pg/vg is certainly not going to do you more good than harm but if you take vaping pg/vg in comparison to smoking cigarettes, I know which one I would choose.

AVF Regular
    He makes a few really good points in this article.

At the end of the day, the primary question remains: If these are the short-term symptoms, what are the long-term consequences? That, unfortunately, remains to be seen, heard, or felt.
    This is exactly my thoughts since I first started vaping and had a nasty sore, dry throat as well as getting a cough reaction. I still get both those things pretty regularly now. I also don't feel any improved lung function that most other forum members report after switching to vaping.

There is so much negative media coverage and public opinion about vaping I think we sometimes go to the other extreme in defense of vaping; conveniently forgetting or downplaying the side effect and possible more serious long term ones.

I vape because it the taste is far more enjoyable than cigarettes, and it's much, much cleaner. I do still worry about the long term health effects though.
    Robray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    He makes a few really good points in this article.

This is exactly my thoughts since I first started vaping and had a nasty sore, dry throat as well as getting a cough reaction. I still get both those things pretty regularly now. I also don't feel any improved lung function that most other forum members report after switching to vaping.

There is so much negative media coverage and public opinion about vaping I think we sometimes go to the other extreme in defense of vaping; conveniently forgetting or downplaying the side effect and possible more serious long term ones.

I vape because it the taste is far more enjoyable than cigarettes, and it's much, much cleaner. I do still worry about the long term health effects though.
    The problem is Jen, is that everyone's experience is different. I had a dry throat for about 10 days after switching to vaping, and haven't had it since. I also drink a lot of water, always have, so maybe this is why I don't experience this in an ongoing sense. I have experienced a lot less problems with sinus issues, than when smoking, and have suffered no hay fever symptoms at all since switching to vaping, (this from someone who could not get through spring and summer without daily hay fever medication). My point is, my experience is just as valid as those who have had adverse effects from vaping, but in the current climate of negativity towards vaping by authorities, my experience is much more likely to be ignored, and those with a negative experience will be highlighted, (as this suits the agenda of those that wish to ban e-cigs).

There is also the point of being able to determine with any certainty, that it is vaping that is either improving a person's health, or damaging it, and then comparing this to the known dangers of cigarette smoking. For example, my dry throat could have been because I took up vaping in the middle of flu season, and everyone around me was ill with flus, coughs, colds, and viral infections. Did I just experience a viral throat infection? , or was it due to vaping? it hasn't reoccurred so it could very well have been either or neither.

Its not a matter of just defending vaping and down playing any symptoms, it is that we cannot prove anything, and neither can those that want to put a negative spin on vaping, (always conveniently leaving out comparisons to cigarette smoking).

We have no idea of the long term effects of most of the anti-depressant drugs, statin drugs, hormonal birth control drugs, antibiotics or antiviral drugs, or even the long term effects of drinking energy drinks every day, but that doesn't see these products banned. We do know the long term effects of smoking tobacco, (for at least 50% of smokers), we know the long term effects of alcohol consumption, we know the long term effects of breathing petrochemical pollutants on a daily basis, but none of the products that cause these effects are banned.

So why the push to ban ecigs based on "possible" long term effects, when far more dangerous products, where the long term effects are known, are still perfectly legal to purchase and use? Why are doctors being encouraged to prescribe medications to people, who may not even benefit from them, (statins, anti-depressants), when there are no long term studies into the effects of these drugs?

I would suggest that anyone who is seriously worried about long term effects of vaping, should stop vaping until they can satisfy themselves that they are prepared to take a calculated risk. If they don't want to take the risk, then simply don't do it. No one is forcing anyone to switch to vaping. Exaggerating the concerns is as damaging as ignoring the concerns, and the media will always latch on to the negative, fear sells.
    margyb, Ozzie, gtadmin and 2 others like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Yes, there appears to be some concern with side effects, coughing, dry throat for example.

Still wins over the stinkies.

When I smoked, my two adult daughters had no obvious ill effects from my smoking. Even though I didn't smoke in the same room as them, they were often sitting next to me outside of would come and talk to me when I was smoking in the laundry. They didn't sneeze, get watery eyes or cough when they came into contact with me smoking.

Since I've been vaping (which I do inside), they have shown no ill effects whatsoever to my vaping, in fact they have only said how pleasant it smells. That is until yesterday. I have a few new juices that I was vaping and one of my daughers said that she was getting an itchy/irritated throat from it so I stopped vaping in the same room as her but didn't know which one it was because had 3 on the go at the same time. We were watching a movie and during an add break I went into a different room to have a couple of drags of one of them and when I came back into the room she said "whichever one you just used then is the one that makes my throat sore". I was at one end of our (small) house and she at the other.

I think this reaction to a particular juice from her perspective is like how I am towards some perfumes and animals (it can cause asthma type symptoms). It has nothing to do with the pg/vg vapour. It is the perfume component that is doing it. Interesting thing though is they are identical twins and usually experience very similar health issues but in this case her twin was not affected at all.

On a really selfish note.......the juice she has a problem with has become a firm favourite and I don't want to give it up.
    margyb and spud like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast