Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Time to create a quiet space

AVF Regular

Time to create a quiet space

Mods, please remove or shift if this idea is wrong/in the wrong place.

I recently joined UK Vapers, mainly to keep up to date with what is happening vis a vis EU and ecigs, and give them a bit of Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, oy, oy, oy! kind of support.

Something interesting, they have a forum called 'Between Ourselves' - it's only able to be read and posted to by members and it's not visible to search engines. I have performed two Google searches using Topic titles, and indeed this forum is hidden. OK, to join UKV, you need to get your account verified by a Moderator, so an extra hoop to jump through.

I'm going to assume that forums run on the same software, and therefore, this feature is available to us, if the Mods chose to implement it.

I'd like to suggest that the time to implement this feature is rapidly appearing on the horizon. Like many, I'd like to be helpful, trusting, open and optimistic about the future, however, I'm also a 'belt and braces' kind of gal, the idea of a private space to discuss how to deal with the future appeals to me. Instead of people having to have an account verified by a Moderator before they could even post, perhaps the Mods could apply an appropriate filter to who could access this particular forum, although I have to admit, I'm not entirely sure as to how the software blocks access, and whether it would work at Forum level.

So, my driving feeling about this comes from the fact that we live on a very big island, a long way away from anything we want to buy. Those in the northern hemisphere, do not face the kind of issues that we do - it's pretty easy to cross borders when you can drive for 4 hours and be in a different country, whereas 4 hours in OZ, you'd be lucky to have left a state (apologies to the Tasmanians ) I believe that if worst comes to the worst, those in the UK, Europe and the US have a much better chance of maintaining their vaping habit than we do, where we're dependent upon OS deliveries, and we can be geo-blocked.

Thoughts?

AVF Regular
    I dunno Deb, I demand transparency from the opposers, so I'd feel hypocritical if I wasn't.
    timmah and Mathy like this.

I like the idea if it's possible with the forum software, especially if we have to get more organised to protect our right to vape. It bothers me sometimes that everything here is so open to anyone, so that antz and govts can keep an eye on us and pre-emptively shut down anything we may try to put together, we need the element of surprise I reckon if we need to fight. It also bothers me that they know how much nic is coming in at times, and could give customs a heads up -paranoid maybe but if we put everything out there in public, we could be shooting ourselves in the foot at times.
    Mathy likes this.

Interesting idea but I guess my question is who wouldnt be able to access this space.. and would this create an in kiddie vs nerd group for want of bettter wording? I completely agree a quiet space is needed and probably soonish.. its the how and maybe even where that concerns me.. maybe it could be looked at by the AVA as well?

It's the way this forum is, and the owner wants it this way I guess, like, must really want it that way.
    Most other forums you can't view profiles and search a persons history or even search in general without logging on, so this place is more open that about any other VB or PHP or any other forum I have even been too.
    That's just the way it is and something people have to agree with if they want to post here I guess. Many don't like it and move on to more closed off forums.

AVF Regular
    My delicately worded post was more along the lines of what vaping_gal is saying. I'm happy to fight like crazy in the open, but I want to protect my access to the products I want to buy. The whole geo-blocking issue really freaks/annoys me and I believe we need some privacy, amongst ourselves, if the occasion demands it.

Super Moderator
    I've been advocating that every sub forum other than "New Vapers" (but especially the Political sub forum) be only readable by logged in members, but a mod can't make this happen, only an admin.
    margyb, SUCKITIN, coopz and 3 others like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

I agree, we need a private space, not the whole forum to b private just a private corner. There r enemies peering in here and using it to advantage themselves . Even enemies within the industry, u only have to look at the Australian vapers association threads to understand we need a private sector to stop people abusing what they have seen here. its a shame all ava discussions r now utilised on another hidden platform because of it. If there was a private area however...
    Cigarette Addiction: 12 years Quit Smoking: 22.11.2011 Started Vaping: 22.11.2011
    ProVari V2, SmokTech 1.5 ohm dc carto, OCD Tank at 4.3 volts
    Vaping and Loving it

If that is the case then am not so sure how that can really be implemented here... its just a guess but the transparency here is more about buying and selling and protecting both parties.. if you are talking politically.. then here might not be a great place to do it.. the more political this place becomes the more it comes under the radar placing a threat on all....but again I agree a quiet place somewhere is needed

Quote Originally Posted by Mathy View Post
    My delicately worded post was more along the lines of what vaping_gal is saying. I'm happy to fight like crazy in the open, but I want to protect my access to the products I want to buy. The whole geo-blocking issue really freaks/annoys me and I believe we need some privacy, amongst ourselves, if the occasion demands it.

AVF Regular
    OK, I'll speak in plain english, because this is a serious issue, not now, but quite possibly in the future.

Vapergeddon has just hit. Is it only the long term members, who all know each other, that are going to be able to participate in a secret market because they know who to contact?

What do you do for the newbies? How do you educate the Newbies? That's my issue, that's what I've been delicately trying to put out there. Forewarned is forearmed.
    oogy, vaping_gal and Up in vapour like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast