Like Tree16Likes
  • 2 Post By Donna
  • 3 Post By fabricator4
  • 3 Post By pgscott
  • 1 Post By Smash
  • 6 Post By spud
  • 1 Post By Blaktop

Thread: NJOY airs anti smoking Ad for New Year quitters.

NJOY airs anti smoking Ad for New Year quitters.

Electronic cigarette brand NJOY airs anti-smoking New Year TV advertising campaign | Retail Times

Here's one of the US versions on njoys web site

NJOY Electronic Cigarette - E-Cigarette - Vapor E-Cig - NJOY

and here's the EU version.

[European Version] Return the Favor: Friend's Don't Let Friends Smoke - YouTube

Interesting how they don't even show them vaping or smoking in the adds.
    lozza 82 and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    At last, the human side of vaping. I was getting pretty sick of the glamourised unrealistic attempts we've seen so far. Even the one that was airing in Australia was pretty useless, and for an overpriced trap of a product too.

Interesting how they don't even show them vaping or smoking in the adds.[/QUOTE]

Not surprising - smoking in ads has been banned in both for some, and video of people vaping in ads attracts protest. In the end they got the message across just fine. What I find interesting is that the first scene makes more sence in the European version. I watched the US one first and was like... what?
    Fatman, spud and Donna like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

It's a very good ad, hits the right notes and is likely to be successful. Still, I hate the idea behind the tag "Friends Don’t Let Friends Smoke". It is clearly buying into the antsmoker agenda I find disturbing and unpleasant.

But it is politically and commercially a smart move - tho somewhat ironic given that Njoy is designed to look and feel exactly like smoking.
    lozza 82, spud and Donna like this.

AVF Regular
    yep. good ad. njoy definitely have their image well sorted. from their packaging to their media.

better than the courtney love ad. which i also didn't mind.
    spud likes this.

The start of the ads is an interesting insight into the cultural psychology of the US compared to Europe. This is a clever ad, (much better than the obnoxious LF thing). Its also a big change in what we are used to seeing, there is no punishment of the smoker, just gentle encouragement from friends, (the message here is also that smokers do have friends). It doesn't show the smoker as sick, ugly, dying, outcast etc, which again, is a huge difference compared to what the various public health authorities come up with. I think that vape companies need to move very far away from the anti-smoker ideology to sell their products to a wider market.

I'm no fan of cigalikes, but credit where its due, this is a good ad. I'd love to see other vape companies move away from the "sex sells" stuff, and into a more intelligent way of selling gen 2 and 3 PVs. Its a challenge for sure, the demographic base of vaping is huge, so companies that limit themselves to selling to males, or young people, will miss a huge section of the market. Those companies who can make their product appealing to smokers of all ages and genders will be very successful, and this means moving away from the stereotyping of smokers, without creating a stereotypical vaper. LF failed IMHO, as have other ads I've seen for vape gear, this NJOY ad is heading in the right direction.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    A typical bit of weirdness from the legislators.....they can't market e-cigs as a smoking cessation device (although that's what they are used for in probably better than 90% of cases) so they are stuck between that and smoking ads to try and get the message across. That one does it pretty well under the circumstances.
    spud likes this.