Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By steve.c
  • 2 Post By tugboatofdeath

Thread: Tobacco truth - Brad Rodu - Do Ecigs cause passive vaping

Tobacco truth - Brad Rodu - Do Ecigs cause passive vaping

Tobacco Truth: Do E-Cigarettes Cause Passive Vaping?

About the author of this blog

"I am a Professor of Medicine at the University of Louisville, I hold an endowed chair in tobacco harm reduction research, and I am a member of the James Graham Brown Cancer Center at U of L.

For the past 20 years I have been involved in research and policy development regarding tobacco harm reduction (THR). THR advocates acknowledge that there are millions of smokers who are unable or unwilling to quit with conventional cessation methods involving tobacco and nicotine abstinence, and we encourage them to use cigarette substitutes that are far safer.

My research has appeared in a broad range of medical and scientific journals. I have authored commentaries in the general press and I wrote the book, For Smokers Only: How Smokeless Tobacco Can Save Your Life. In 2003 I served as an expert witness at a Congressional hearing on tobacco harm reduction, and I have spoken at numerous international forums, including one held in London at the British Houses of Parliament.

My research is supported by unrestricted grants from tobacco manufacturers to the University of Louisville and by the Kentucky Research Challenge Trust Fund."

AVF Regular
    The first comment was interesting:

Chris Price said...
    This study is confusing because it uses several different chambers, and the discussion/conclusion is sometimes not clear as to which is being referred to; and although compounds were below detectable limits in the 'real' vaping part of the study in a tiny box room, the conclusion, confusingly, does not align with the measurements (the conclusion is that 'passive vaping' exists even though no detectable amounts of hazardous compounds were present in the vaping chamber); the conclusion, instead, seems based on pumping vapour into a 10 litre flask to detect measurable amounts of anything potentially interesting. (In other words, 2nd-hand vapour is virtually undetectable, but if we take concentrated vapour and pump it into a tiny space then we can conclude whatever we like.)

There are some other issues, such as that the principal ecig tested seems to have been a zero-nicotine product, for some reason.

For those not familiar with the terms, propane-1,2 diol = propanediol-1,2 = propylene glycol, and propane-2,3 triol = propanetriol-2,3 = glycerine.

The study has been praised and criticised elsewhere, by alternately picking facets seen as positive or negative for vaping. Perhaps the researchers were trying to please different audiences; the total effect seems confused. Tests needed to be carried out with a nicotine product in the main series, but weren't; and the discussion and conclusion should have been based on the realistic chamber testing, but instead referred to various aspects of testing done with different products in different chambers. All in all a bit of a mishmash. I suppose the takeaway is as you describe: no apparent risk for 'passive vaping'; but there is plenty in there for others to make whatever they wish to out of it - since the tests were so numerous, mixed up, and confusingly referred to. No doubt this is why you published the current article.

Research of this type just contributes to argument, unfortunately. There are numerous problems with this study, starting with a lack of planning, and finishing with a confusing write-up. It's true that one conclusion is that 2nd-hand vapour is not problematic (when measured as per the main part of the trial); another conclusion is to take any of the other measurements and/or confused commentary, mix well, and get whatever you like. Some useful research, presented very poorly.
    Donna likes this.

AVF Regular
    steve.c and Donna like this.