Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Italy's 80% tax on ecigarettes

Italy's 80% tax on ecigarettes

The Latest Tax Battle Over the E-Cigarette Craze: Video - Bloomberg

Wonder which model Australia will follow?
    Rossco likes this.

AVF Regular
    That's just insanity.

Some history on this :

But what about our MONEY?!?!

Italy to tax electronic cigarettes like tobacco cigarettes

Italians protest, calling e-cig tax a 'scam'

I'm actually surprised to learn that Smooke, a company that does not sell a single Variable Voltage ecig, turned over $15 million last year.

Browsing their catalogue, I doubt they're going to be affected by the EUecigBAN. Their maximum Nic level is 18mg/mL, and they only sell 10mL bottles.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 04-01-14 at 08:42 AM.
    spud, Donna and Rossco like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mavinry4 View Post
    Some history on this :

But what about our MONEY?!?!

Italy to tax electronic cigarettes like tobacco cigarettes

Italians protest, calling e-cig tax a 'scam'

I'm actually surprised to learn that Smooke, a company that does not sell a single Variable Voltage ecig, turned over $15 million last year.

Browsing their catalogue, I doubt they're going to be affected by the EUecigBAN. Their maximum Nic level is 18mg/mL, and they only sell 10mL bottles.
    I've noticed a few EU businesses only sell 10ml bottles, maybe this is why? or a result of? the EU proposals. Maybe same can be said for the nic level?

Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    I've noticed a few EU businesses only sell 10ml bottles, maybe this is why? or a result of? the EU proposals. Maybe same can be said for the nic level?
    As quoted by the EU-commission: http://ec.europa.eu/health/tobacco/d...arettes_en.pdf

An e-cigarette with a concentration of 20mg/ml delivers approx. 1 mg of nicotine in 5 minutes
    (the time needed to smoke a traditional cigarette, which delivers 1mg of nicotine).

The most commonly sold strength of e-cigarettes is 17-18 mg/ml and strengths of 20mg/ml and lower were shown to be effective for the majority of smokers
    in their cessation efforts
    They reference Farsolinos for these facts : Evaluating Nicotine Levels Selection and Patterns of Electronic Cigarette Use in a Group of

Now that's all well and good for the majority of vapers that vape at 18mg/mL and below, but what about those who vape at 24mg/mL, which is a very commonly sold nicotine level. Let them return to smoking?

The 20mg/mL limit is insufficient. The 30mg/mL was sufficient for flavoured eliquids. The EU commission is under the misconception that it's pleasurable to overdose on nicotine.

Nicotine liquids above 30mg/mL should also be available, but they should be unflavoured.
    Donna likes this.

AVF Regular
    Italian government is *very* corrupt, maybe they should have one of their referendums.

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    I am pretty sure those clowns dropped that idea after a big outcry??

Italy scraps e-cigarette tax plans - The Local
    oogy, spud and maggie like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

Don't know if this is the latest news but this was @ September 2013. So, I don't really know?

"September 2013 update
    News is coming in that, resulting from a vote on August 7th, from January 1st 2014 an additional tax will be applied to all e-cigarette related products, in addition to some other regulatory actions with implications that are unclear although currently appear non-significant (no sales to minors, etc.), though there may be some change to locations allowed to sell ecigs. This new tax of 58.5% plus the 21% VAT means that all ecig products will be subject to a near-80% tax (79.5%). This is not unexpected, as Italian MPs had been complaining about the lost tobacco tax revenues due to falling cigarette sales resulting from rising e-cigarette sales (unrestricted e-cigarette availability in Italy has meant that smokers quit in significant numbers or cut down substantially).

Italy is therefore the first country to openly admit by its actions that (1) tax revenue is more important than lives saved, (2) tax rates have no relevance to health risks, and (3) tax is the main factor in regulatory policy."

from here
    Electronic Cigarettes - Global Legal Status
    margyb and vaping_gal like this.

Super Moderator
    'E-cigarettes could save 30,000 Italian lives a year' - The Local

Not so much tax related , but it shows the Italians are still pushing for ecigs
    oogy likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Got a story from when i was in rome in march 2013. I had bought an ecig starter pack when I was in rome from a tobacconist. I'd snapped my plug off on my battery charger for my provari earlier in the week and had little choice having not found a replacement or 18650 batteries. While I had plenty juice I thought while I was there I'd buy some nic juice given I never get the chance to do that in person at home. Anyway they only had weak mixes up to 12mg, I think. When I showed him mine and asked for 24mg he said no no no...

Anyway I took my new ecig back to my room and for the life of me couldn't figure out how to fill the tank. The instructions were in Italian but my biggest Issue was having no idea where to poke the syringe on this tank.

So I took it back and asked how to fill. I gave him the instruction leaflet and he still could not figure it out. He rang a friend and could not get it going while on the phone. Then this friend turned up puffing his own ecig, so i thought ill be ok now. Where it got interesting though was this vaping newcomer, spilt some of my e juice on his hands. id say under 1ml given the filler syringe bottle was only 3ml. the tobacconist said something to him about australia and he panicked. Washing his hands with water from a water bottle the tobaconist gave him and wiping for ages cursing. Clearly in rome they have been "educated" on nic strength along with the regulation.

Anyway of all the places on earth I have traveled too rome appeared to have the largest proportion of vapers so I guess they are doing something right.
    Donna likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast