Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: theguardian - How e-cigarettes changed my life

AVF Regular

theguardian - How e-cigarettes changed my life

How e-cigarettes changed my life | Society | The Guardian

My dad sent me the link, I think it's a nice story with some good info. Not sure where it's meant to be posted so mods please move to another thread if it's meant to be in there thank you
    GirlyPantz, margyb, Fatman and 7 others like this.

AVF Regular
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. She's an entertaining writer whose story I strongly relate to.

Thanks for posting it Unik.
    spud likes this.

Yes, I saw this on the Vaper Network... good piece of writing

AVF Regular
    Just reading the comments....if one more non-smoker tells me cold turkey is the best way to quit I am going to become violent. So, so, so very sick of hearing that sh*t.
    Fatman, spud, maggie and 2 others like this.

[IMG][/IMG]

Yes, good story, great she is down to zero nic, my ultimate goal but don't think I'll be there for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by JenJ View Post
    Just reading the comments....if one more non-smoker tells me cold turkey is the best way to quit I am going to become violent. So, so, so very sick of hearing that sh*t.
    yeah but thats because when someone goes cold turkey and suffers, they hate the fact that other people dont have to go through it. after several cold turkey quits many years ago, I thought people who used those new fangle dangle patches and gum were just pussies too, thats the mentality of cold turkey quitters. it's like if I had to suffer and get through it, then other people should have to do the same. stupid I know, but it's basically jealousy
    Last edited by vaping_gal; 05-01-14 at 12:05 AM.
    GirlyPantz, spud and maggie like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by vaping_gal View Post
    yeah but thats because when someone goes cold turkey and suffers, they hate the fact that other people dont have to go through it. after several cold turkey quits many years ago, I thought people who used those new fangle dangle patches and gum were just pussies too, thats the mentality of cold turkey quitters. it's like if I had to suffer and get through it, then other people should have to do the same. stupid I know, but it's basically jealousy
    You're probably right. But to me it seems like one of two things. Either the person has never been a smoker therefore has no empathy whatsoever for what it's like to be addicted to something, so they are speaking out of their arse and from a high horse. Or, they have quit cold turkey themselves and feel like they are a fcuking hero and need to let everyone else know how awesomely strong-willed they themselves are, and how pathetically weak we are.

And another possibility is they quit cold turkey themselves, last week. So they are all puffed up with success and think everyone should do it cuz they did, but will be back on the fags sooner or later, as sure as the sun will rise in the morning.
    Last edited by JenJ; 05-01-14 at 12:15 AM.
    spud and maggie like this.

"And another possibility is they quit cold turkey themselves, last week. So they are all puffed up with success and think everyone should do it cuz they did, but will be back on the fags sooner or later as sure as the sun will rise in the morning. "

Thats true because even if you manage to quit cold turkey, I think it has a bad psychological effect. If you had any doubt that you wanted to smoke, a few weeks of cold turkey will convince your brain that smoking is the one thing you can't live without. after every cold turkey quit, I just started smoking more and more like my fags were going to get taken away. it's a really bad idea
    Last edited by vaping_gal; 05-01-14 at 12:19 AM.
    spud likes this.

AVF Regular
    Yeah, my smoking stepped up a notch after I'd quit too.

The other thing is there are different levels of addiction. If you're 30 and you've been a social smoker for 10 years, and fags are your fun-times buddy, it's probably not that hard to quit cold turkey. People have different reasons and degrees of dependence on cigarettes. If you've been a regular daily smoker for 30 years, and basically have a long term, monogamous, extremely loving and emotionally supportive relationship with fags, it's likely to be much, much harder to quit cold turkey.

Another thing people don't realise is that quitting is not the hard part. We've all done it, most of us several times over. It's STAYING QUIT that's the hard part. So anybody that tells me that they quit cold turkey less than a year ago will get no respect from me. I quit for 8 months once, the first 3 mths were the easiest. It got a lot harder after that because you have a false sense of no longer being controlled by cigarettes, combined with an intermittent, but regular, urge to 'just have the odd one'. Which we all know is a recipe for disaster.
    Donna likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast