Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: New study on e-cig and dual-use

AVF Regular

New study on e-cig and dual-use

At last some info on dual-use

Quote Originally Posted by tugboatofdeath View Post
    At last some info on dual-use
    Excellent article TBOD. Its great to have this sort of research information to counter the ridiculous arguments of the puritans
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    I like how they are transparent about the study's flaws which is what we really want, don't want to push our agenda by cherry picking and manipulation of data otherwise we might look like tobacco control.
    Last edited by tugboatofdeath; 07-01-14 at 12:56 PM.
    mavinry4, vaping_gal and mg418 like this.

There was no discussion about why those people dual use.

We need to push the fact that there may be two kinds of dual users.

Those that smoke tobacco so as not to stand out during social gatherings, and those that genuinely choose to use both.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by tugboatofdeath View Post
    I like how they are transparent about the study's flaws which is what we really want, don't want to push our agenda by cherry picking and manipulation of data otherwise we might look like tobacco control.
    Yes, he was honest about that. The results of the survey were exactly what I'd expect from participants sourced from 'dedicated websites and forums'. So what we are looking at is the vaping habits of those people, which is not even vaguely representative of the general population of people who use e-cigarettes...and unfortunately, never will be. They are two different animals.

I think it's easy for us enthusiasts to forget that there is a whole other world of smokers/e-cig users out there who have nothing to do with forums, nor hang out on 'dedicated websites'. I would say most e-cig users find a vendor they like, usually the first one they buy from, and then just buy what they need without ever getting into the whole obsessive hobbyist thing.

Unfortunately I don't think this survey will be considered useful by any of the people we would like to convince.

There absolutely has to be a distinction made in the minds of public health officials between cigalike users and vapers. This continual conflating of the two means that almost all research to date is on crappy cigalikes, which up until now have been what the majority use. So their fears are well founded.
    tugboatofdeath and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    I dunno, whether its the low population of vapers in Aus (and the resultant embarrassment factor) or not at first wanting to let go then reducing the smokes the fact is its being used against us as a weak argument by Ch@pman and Glantz to enhance thier bogeyman big tobacco character they try to use to demonize ecigs.

I spent some time (again) on twitter today trying to convince Ch@pman that its part of the process of switching to e-cigs exclusively for a lot of people. I think i may have been partially successful.
    Noe and spud like this.

AVF Regular
    i still can't see why dual use is even an issue. so what if someone vapes sometimes and smokes sometimes?

There was a link to a follow up questionairre which may shed more light on the dual use issue. I decided to go ahead and fill it out, but damn it was long.

AVF Regular
    I completely agree kay67kay, but in the fkd up world of ecig politics you have to steer public health stooges towards the realisation that its getting people off the smokes.

Even though we as vapers are being told by other ecig 'activists' that we need to say thats ecigs are an alternative so that they don't get medicalised if we say its a cessation/reduction aid. We all know its an alternative available that allows us to smoke less or stop smoking completely.

Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    i still can't see why dual use is even an issue. so what if someone vapes sometimes and smokes sometimes?
    According to this report often linked to by ChappyMan, cutting down tobacco smoking still doesn't cut your risk of cancer. Read Professor Siegel's response to this here.

But that's a distraction from the real issues.

What I have a problem with is people dual-using based on stigma, or because Governments have restricted the availability of efficient devices.

In these two cases of dual-use, I am absolutely against it.

I find it ironic that the efforts by S1mon Ch4pman actually lead to dual use.
    Last edited by mavinry4; 07-01-14 at 08:24 PM.
    Noe, tugboatofdeath and Olfella like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast