Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Are Vapers Killing Ecigs?

Are Vapers Killing Ecigs?

This guy discusses whether e-cigs are actually feasible to national economies. Not only would the switch from tobacco cigarettes to electronic cigarettes disrupt national economies due to the loss in tobacco tax revenue, but keeping people alive for much longer will drive the cost of national pension schemes higher. And Many countries simply cant afford to keep people living for so long.

He suggests that Vapers should not be promoting the Health Benefits of switching to E-cigs. Informing politicians that people will live longer by switching to e-cigs will only provoke them to restrict e-cigs even further. Instead, we should promote the economic benefit of switching over to e-cigs, if indeed there is one. ASH Australia claims that Smoking Health Costs reach $31 Billion dollars a year. But how true is that figure, and is saving $31 Billion dollars a year enough to cover the loss in Tobacco tax revenue and the cost of future Pension Schemes?

It's basically this segment from Yes Ministers, without the laugh track : smsc - YouTube

It's truly sad when society is depended on illness and death just to keep above water. It's like living in the mind of a depressed hippy.

GirlyPantz, margyb, oogy and 7 others like this.

AVF Regular
    He has an excellent point. By taking what he is saying on board it would gazump BT, because I bet they are in the Government's ear about how much revenue they stand to lose and this could be why the Europe has taken the stance it has.
    GirlyPantz and Bobthebuilder like this.

2nd attempt ... Never give up, giving up. OMG I am going to be rich soon, look how much I have saved!

If smoking really is the killer THEY say it is then the Gub'mint should be giving all us pensioners a couple of cartons of fags free ev'ry fortnight with our 'existence' allowance .. save a fortune in aged care!

AVF Regular
    Maybe people should stop having so many kids. Limit of 1 per person.

Hmmm....the intricacies of an economy.

Wouldn't the fact that people living longer and in better health (which potentially would reduce the cost of providing health care) and thus being more productive for longer (and therefore being able to earn/contribute more to their super/retirement packages) would allow governments to collect more income tax?

Surely this would offset any loss of cigarette taxes?
    spud and Bobthebuilder like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by arth_d View Post
    And then you end up with an ageing population and no one to support them as they get older.

I can understand the point he is making, but the cynic in me says that obesity will be the biggest killer of relatively young people over the next few decades, and this will replace smoking as a way of making sure there are not too many people drawing an old age pension for many years. Why do you think that governments are not tackling the junk food industries? The added bonus is that they can put obesity down to individual responsibility, safe in the knowledge that their is no harm to others apart from the individual, where government might be expected to be seen to be doing something.

For the first time in history we are seeing a large number of children with heart, liver and metabolism diseases caused by obesity, and a drop in the life expectancy for the first time in many decades.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

Quote Originally Posted by Usernametaken View Post
    And then you end up with an ageing population and no one to support them as they get older.
    If people were healthier in old age, they wouldn't need so many people of working age supporting them.
    GirlyPantz, oogy, Gresh11 and 1 others like this.
    All opinions expressed by me, are my own, I do not represent, or speak for, anyone but myself.

STOPPED SMOKING 11/08/13 STARTED VAPING 11/08/13

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by arth_d View Post
    I agree. Can I sell my quota
    GirlyPantz, Robray, davee and 6 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Probably could if you tried. But you might go to prison if you get busted. So your stuffed either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    I agree. Can I sell my quota
    GirlyPantz and Bobthebuilder like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast